UKFF'S Grand Ole Opry

PowerButchi

• Moderators

I know me and JohnnyBoy are fans of Country music (including contemporary stuff) and I was just wondering if anyone else is?

At the moment, and have been for the past 3 years for that matter, I'm really enjoying Brad Paisley. I'd argue he's the best act going at the moment now Brooks and Dunn have finished, although Dunn's Bleed Red is fantastic. I'm also quite the fan of Josh Turner and his super awesome baritone MANVOICE.

I've been listening to a few Canadian acts as well. George Canyon, Terri Clark and Scotland's Johnny Reid are doing some really good stuff at the moment.

So yeah, anyone else into Country? Let's discuss it in here.

• Moderators

A lot of the bugger for me with CMT is that it was predominately on when I was in school, so I'd only get about 30 minutes before having to make that walk.

And it was Neon Moon at least 3 times in that 30mins a week which is admittedly far better than anything now. I'd love one of the music channels to devote 3-4 hours a day to Country, but I doubt that'd ever happen now.

Liking the fact that someone's started this thread, considered doing it a while back. Am waiting on a pizza now though so not gonna post at great length. Will say however that currently spinning in my gaff is The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, the 3rd volume of Will The Circle Be Unbroken. 'Roll in My Sweet Baby's Arms' with Willie singing is fantastic. Anyone unfamiliar with the important work this band did bringing older country artists to light through the 1960s should check them out.

Country is something I want to dabble in. I always like sitting around with my guitar and doing quite grim southern bluesy stuff (a cross between Seasick Steve/ The Soggy Bottom Boys/ Scott Kelly) and I want to listen to some country stuff as I've got a banjo that I want to start writing with and I want some more influence but I haven't got a fucking clue where to start. I'll be honest I really don't like the up-tempo cheesy stuff but can anybody point me towards some of the bleaker,more miserable stuff. It has to be out there somewhere.

Country and Western is a strange un for me, there are bits I like and bits I dont, couldnt name you any particular bands or singers outside of the well known ones, though

I had to put up with Jim Reeves on a lop when going to work when I was a labourer, that was horrid, however I caught Dolly in concert on BBC4 the other week and it was fantastic.

• Moderators
Country is something I want to dabble in. I always like sitting around with my guitar and doing quite grim southern bluesy stuff (a cross between Seasick Steve/ The Soggy Bottom Boys/ Scott Kelly) and I want to listen to some country stuff as I've got a banjo that I want to start writing with and I want some more influence but I haven't got a fucking clue where to start. I'll be honest I really don't like the up-tempo cheesy stuff but can anybody point me towards some of the bleaker,more miserable stuff. It has to be out there somewhere.

I'm an up tempo cheesy guy. Kenny Chesney, Chad Brownlee, Toby Keith, Trace Adkins, Zac Brown Band.

Awesome.

All I can suggest is listen to an online station for an hour or so, and you'll either get in the swing or fuck it off. That's the best I can suggest.

I'm quite partial to a bit of outlaw country. Shooter Jennings is fantastic and I like a lot of Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson's stuff. Not into all of it, but like a lot of it too.

Shooter Jennings is fucking skill!

• Paid Members
I'm quite partial to a bit of outlaw country. Shooter Jennings is fantastic and I like a lot of Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson's stuff. Not into all of it, but like a lot of it too.

Shooter Jennings is fucking skill!

I love you both. Shooter is my favourite artist in the world. Two summers ago, I was pissed off one Friday afternoon at work, so the next day I went to America to see Shooter Jennings. He signed my passport, in a way which will one day probably see me barred from entering another country.

Have you heard his latest? First track from his new album, which is due early 2012. Back more towards country after the prog rocky, but still fantastic concept album, Black Ribbons:

He's also behind these two sites, which may be of interest to you (or anyone else who wanders through here):

http://www.givememyxxx.com/

http://www.moonrunnerscountry.com/

Shooter's former bass player & songwriting partner Ted Russell Kamp is also great, does a fabulous outlaw cover version of Gnarls Barkley's Crazy:

TRK - Crazy

He posted this on his Facebook today too, which I love:

As for others, Big & Rich are a major guilty pleasure for me at the moment:

Also love me some Trace Adkins:

A bit of Alan Jackson:

A little Old Crow Medicine Show:

(cobra_gordo, those last two should serve you in the bleak, miserable stakes. My and a mate do all three of those songs in the acoustic duo thing we do, they work quite nicely stripped down)

and the rest...

I could go on all night... I should probably stop...

• Paid Members

I hate country music with a passion.

It takes me back to my youth. My dad was in a wild west re-enactment group called the Gunfighters who were based out of Ashton-Under-Lyne. His mates used to come round in full cowboy gear, play C%W music, and dance round a fire in the back garden for fuck sake. They all had shitty half oldham-half fake american accents.

They dragged me to all the country and western shows. because i was the groups very reluctant mascot, I met Don Williams, Box Car Willy, Marty Robbins and loads of other "Stars". Fucking nightmare.

Still can't watch westerns without feeling ill.

Practically child abuse.

• Moderators
He also didn't resort to a cheap we'll kick your ass song post September the 11th.

Where were you when the world stopped turning?

Probably my favourite post-9/11 song. Just reflective and not jingoistic.

Alan Jackson, along with George Strait and Ronnie Dunn, really is a Mr Reliable of C&W. Stuff like Remember When, Tall Tall Trees, Livin' on Love, Who's Cheating Who, and more recently Small Town Southern Man are just wonderfully representative of his huge talents.

Even if he did do a duet with Jimmy bastard Buffett.

Archived