White Ace

nfc90210

• Paid Members

whitecider11.jpg

It's not something I would drink out of choice. I am a self conscious kind of chap and would be worried about the shopkeeper judging me. Plus, to be frank, it's kind of tramp juice. Though I think a tramp who really wants a bang for his buck should drink K Cider. That shit is like 8% or something, and it seems to be the North London homeless alcoholic's drink of choice.

Anyway, the few times I have drunk White Ace it was surprisingly not bad. Much better than I would have thought. It's cheap as chips as well. A three litre bottle retails at, I think,

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Alcohol Concern says that it's bad.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/201...ense-alcoholics

White cider is becoming like heroin among alcoholics, says report

Super-strength ciders are becoming popular among heavy drinkers as tax breaks to protect the industry make them a cheaper fix

# Jamie Doward and Justine Pemberton

White cider is becoming like heroin among alcoholics, says report

This article appeared on p16 of the Main section section of the Observer on Sunday 17 April 2011. It was published on guardian.co.uk at 00.06 BST on Sunday 17 April 2011.

It may be cheap, but white cider, the drink of choice for many homeless alcoholics, commands big profits.

A new report by the charity Alcohol Concern suggests profit margins on white cider are significantly fatter than those on other alcoholic drinks, thanks in part to tax breaks designed to help traditional British cider makers.

Cans of brands such as White Ace, Carbon White and White Star sell for as little as 59p. "It's because it's so cheap and it has a very quick effect on you," said Gordon Cowper, 52, a recovering alcoholic who now works for the homelessness charity Thames Reach in London.

"Most drinks are quite hard to drink, like whisky and stuff like that. With cider, you put a little bit of lemonade in it with the first one and then you can start knocking it back."

The report reveals that the Treasury takes 32p in VAT and duty on the sale of an 85p can of White Ace, leaving a remainder of 53p. By contrast, a super-strength lager such as Kestrel sells for

• Moderators

When I was a rowdy teenager we used to buy K cider. It was strong, a bit more expensive than other shit which was good to show how bathin you is, and hard bottles that were really tough which made for great fun to smash.

Archived