The Daily Examiner

Forrest

• Paid Members
A bourbon sour is just a whisky sour, right? Because Whisky sours are made with bourbon anyway...

This may seem like a stupid question but I just want to know for sure.

More precisely, it's a Ward 8 - a sweeter whiskey sour with grenadine as the sweetener. The bourbon has a different taste from scotch, definitely, and I've had some shocking sours with scotch.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Rate the last book you read out of 10

Lee Evens - Lee

Very good 8/10

2. If you could only eat one type of meat for the rest of your life what would it be?

Chicken

3. Favourite subject at school

PE

4. Top 5 biscuits

Chocolate Hobnob

Hobnob

Penguin

Chocolate Digestives

Digestives

5. Favourite cocktail

Cider & Black

I'll do both too since Mike's questions are actually better than mine.

1. Favourtie Charcter in the Simpsons who isn't Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa or Maggie?

Bleeding Gums Murphy. He's only in a couple of episodes but they're belters and his death story and what comes after is top notch.

2. What's your opinion of Children In Need, Comic Relief etc as ways of raising money for chairty?

Personally I give to charity all year round and don't need to see celebs fucking about acting stupid to be encoruaged to give money but evidently a lot of other people do so that's up to them I suppose.

3. Twilight Saga: Girly Crap, a Good Story or something else?

Not read the books but my new girlfriend is quite into them so we watched the films together and they were easy watching with not a lot of thought required. Decent for a couples night in.

4. Favourite Wrestling Columnist?

The mainstream ones are mostly up their own arses. I prefer guys like Arnold Furious and Tony Cottam, even though they're pals of mine. ;)

5. Your on death row and you've been granted a last meal. 3 Courses plus drinks. What would you have?

Starter - Some kind of deep fried platter with prawns, pakora, souther fried chicken etc. Jameson's and soda to drink.

Main - Special Curry with fried rice from my local Chinese. Chips & Onion rings on the side. Irn Bru to drink.

Dessert - 12 pints of Budwesier.

The Accident by Linwood Barclay - 9/10. This guys is a fantastic writer and his plot twists are well written and often hard to see coming. His first book No Time for Goodbye is probably the best book I've read in the last 10 years.

2. If you could only eat one type of meat for the rest of your life what would it be?

Chicken. No contest.

English or P.E

4. Top 5 biscuits

Tunnock's Caramel Wafer x5

5. Favourite cocktail

Long Island Iced Tea which I only started drinking this year.

Stephen King - The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass

6/10 - Takes too long to get going, feels totally inconsequential besides for a few key retcon moments but a brisk and pretty entertaining read nonetheless. Makes me wish I hadn't bothered reading anymore into this series beyond The Gunslinger.

Chicken.

Economics.

4. Top 5 biscuits

Oreos

Chocolate Digestives

Cadbury Fingers

Echo

Wunderbar

5. Favourite cocktail

The Captain America from GoGo Lounge in Montreal.

1. Favourite Character in the Simpsons who isn't Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa or Maggie?

Professor Frink. I laugh every time he's on screen.

2. What's your opinion of Children In Need, Comic Relief etc as ways of raising money for charity?

Good idea, as the amount of money they raise is pretty impressive and all for very good causes. I don't tend to like the content much, but they have to appeal to a really broad range of viewers to make it work, so fair enough.

Not read/seen them but I imagine they must be a combination of the two. Inclined to say girly crap but I suppose they must have at least some redeeming qualities to have become as popular as they have.

Not a fan of any of them really.

5. You're on death row and you've been granted a last meal. 3 Courses plus drinks. What would you have?

Starter- fried whitebait with tartare sauce, and a miller's gin and fevertree tonic water.

Main- Indiana style breaded pork loin sandwich with biscuits and gravy. Pint of Skinner's Spriggan ale.

Dessert- raspberry cheesecake, with clotted cream on the side, and a nice glass of port.

Joseph Mitchell- Joe Gould's Secret. Mitchell is criminally underrated and is by far my (and Steve Earle's) favourite non-fiction author. This book is two pieces he wrote thirty years apart for the New Yorker about an eccentric character that frequented the same bars and restaurants as Mitchell, and spent his days working on a huge 'oral history' in numerous notebooks. It reads like the best novel you've ever read, and Mitchell's sense of nobility and humanity in odd characters is really moving. Highly recommended and out of print, if you see a copy, snap it up.

Pork. I like most things that can be done with it, but slow roast pork belly is one of life's greatest pleasures, so my decision rests on that.

Actually can't really remember. Was fond of Physics and History, I seem to recall.

4. Top 5 biscuits

Not a big biscuit fan, but: Malted milks, Caramel chocolate digestives, Chocolate Oreos, Mint Viscounts, Rolo Biscuits.

5. Favourite cocktail

Manhattan.

• Paid Members

I love this thread.

1. Favorite Character in the Simpsons who isn't Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa or Maggie?

Mr. Burns. He's my favorite character including those five too. Closely followed by Skinner, Moe and Moleman (in that order). I maintain to this day that Burns always gets the best episodes, including my top two in Rosebud and Dental Plan.

2. What's your opinion of Children In Need, Comic Relief etc as ways of raising money for charity?

I haven't watched them in years but as long as they are still succeeding then more power to them.

Hardest thing to have an opinion on. Liking it, you're grouped with the most overbearing of fan-bases, right up there with Christopher Nolan fanboys and "die-hard" Metallica metal-heads. Disliking it, you're grouped with the equally overbearing and narrow-minded morons who absolutely despise it yet can't stop talking about it. Still, the latter group is better for me. Did you know a girl once told me that the reason I didn't like Twilight was because I didn't understand nor had ever experienced true love, like she had.

She was 15 at the time. Now she's a mother. True story.

The guys over at Smart Wrestling Fan should count for their podcasts. Proud subscriber to the extra content right here.

5. Your on death row and you've been granted a last meal. 3 Courses plus drinks. What would you have?

I think I'd go for a mushroom stuffed naan bread with blue cheese mayo dip for starters. Move onto a lamb and potato Rogan Josh sauce lasagna. End it with a delicious raspberry cheesecake. For drinks I'd have white russians, Fanta Beach, Relentless and poison, so I could die before the chair/hanging.

It's been a while since I sat down and completed a book. I think the last one was Warren Ellis - Ruins (that is if comics count, which they totally should). I'd give it about a 6/10 because, while it's fun, it's ultimately kind of a pointless one-off.

Chicken lasagna with bread. I'd be set.

Media Studies. Believe it or not, I was one of those bastards who was pretty much good at everything in school. Unfortunately I wasn't really into the majority of the subjects and plagued by laziness. Media was the first subject I ever felt truly invested in. That and English, which was a bit hit or miss when we got onto the shite poetry of Seamus Heaney.

4. Top 5 biscuits

In no particular order: Rich Teas, McVities White Chocolate Cookies, Foxes Jam and Cream Sandwiches, Bourbon Creams and Pink Wafers.

5. Favourite cocktail

White Russian...the dude abides.

• Moderators

It's been a while since I sat down and completed a book. I think the last one was Warren Ellis - Ruins (that is if comics count, which they totally should). I'd give it about a 6/10 because, while it's fun, it's ultimately kind of a pointless one-off.

I haven't read that but I'd take an intentional one off from Warren Ellis over him starting yet another series that he has seemingly no drive to continue.

• Paid Members

I haven't read that but I'd take an intentional one off from Warren Ellis over him starting yet another series that he has seemingly no drive to continue.

Tell me about it. The days of quality like Transmetropolitan are well and truly over.

1. Favourtie Charcter in the Simpsons who isn't Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa or Maggie?

Mo Sizlack.

2. What's your opinion of Children In Need, Comic Relief etc as ways of raising money for chairty?

Hate them. Stop fucking begging, you are asking the wrong people!!!

Load of shit I guess.

N/A

I would want to eat the Judge who convicted me.

I'll give it a 7.

Chicken, why not.

Maths. By miles.

4. Top 5 biscuits

Ginger Nut

Custard Creams

Chocolate Digestive

Rich Tea

Morning Coffee

5. Favourite cocktail

Mud Slide (from Coyaba Beach Resort, Grand Anse, Grenada)

Or Pina Colada.

• Paid Members

Five new questions for today :-

What Film would you most like to be re-made? To Kill A Mockingbird - The original's great but there's stuff in the book that they still couldn't cover due to the sensitivities of the time.

What's your signature dish? (cooking not crockery) - Chocolate Lime Pie, I could sell this shit.

Worst TV Show? - Big Brother, mainly because of what it became (a platform for supposed stardom) & how much of the schedule it consumed.

Band you'd most like to reform & tour? - Wilt

Favourite Shakin' Stevens song? Marie, Marie

• Paid Members

What Film would you most like to be re-made? - James and the Giant Peach. It was a great little film for it's time, but the things they could do with the animation and effects now would be fantastic.

What's your signature dish? (cooking not crockery) - I make smashing cakes. My orange sponge one was probably my favourite, or my white chocolate rice krispie ones.

Worst TV Show? - Anything with Jo Brand in it, or The Only Way is Essex/Made in Chelsea. Fucking shit.

Band you'd most like to reform & tour? - REM :(

Favourite Shakin' Stevens song? - I couldn't even name one :/

Archived