Do you think Joel Schumacher is any good?

Bellenda Carlisle

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Schumacher got a lot of flack for his Batman films (and rightly so, they were shit) but I always wondered how much the studio wanted a kids film they could attach more merch to after the fairly 'unkiddy' Batman Returns? It reeked of director for hire as opposed to it being 'Schumacher's vision', I could be wrong though. 'The Client' wasn't too bad either.

Didn't Schumacher publicly apologise for Batman and Robin?

• Paid Members
I think A Time To Kill is widely considered to be his best movie.

8mm and Phone Booth are fucking garbage.

8mm and Phone Booth really are gash of the highest order

I love 8mm and in terms of subject matter & atmosphere it's pretty rough for a mainstream film which I think is cool.

I guess I need to see A Time to Kill before I can judge him if it's his best film.

I haven't watched his Batman movies since the Nolan ones came out but I'd like to watch Batman and Robin again because it is really fun despite not being a particularly cool representation of the whole Batman mythology.

I can't imagine seeing it for the first time now but I was 6 when Lost Boys came out, my big brother showed it to me a couple of years later and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Has anyone else seen Trespass?

• Paid Members
Schumacher got a lot of flack for his Batman films (and rightly so, they were shit) but I always wondered how much the studio wanted a kids film they could attach more merch to after the fairly 'unkiddy' Batman Returns? It reeked of director for hire as opposed to it being 'Schumacher's vision', I could be wrong though. 'The Client' wasn't too bad either.

He's stated in a few interviews about just how involved the Studio where in the franchise and how they kept pushing for certain elements to be included, He also says on the film commentary that he was told the film (Batman Forever) should be more geared towards kids after some of the backlash against Batman Returns. Its also be mentioned by actors that during the making of Batman & Robin he would yell 'Remember we're making a cartoon' before takes so who knows who is to blame, probably a combination of both.

I always got the feeling that he went with 8MM after this as if to say 'Look I can make dark films!'

• Moderators
I think I'm one of about 4 people who do, but I love Batman and Robin.

We need to find the other two! Batman and Robin is easily the best Batman film for me. It's not dark for no fucking reason, and is stupid knockabout campy fun which is what comic books are/should be. The Nolan and Burton ones make me want to rape their wives with them watching, so they know how their misery films rape my sense of fun.

I bum Falling Down as well.

• Paid Members
I stand by my opinion that Batman Forever is still the best of the Batman movies and & Robin is just a lot of campy fun.

I'm not having that. Batman and Robin is indeed quite good fun, but Batman Forever is unwatchable shite. Jim Carrey needs to be reigned in, because when he's given this amount of freedom, he is the most annoying man on the planet. Somehow he drags Tommy Lee Jones down with him. Give me ice puns over that any day.

• Paid Members

We need to find the other two! Batman and Robin is easily the best Batman film for me. It's not dark for no fucking reason, and is stupid knockabout campy fun which is what comic books are/should be. The Nolan and Burton ones make me want to rape their wives with them watching, so they know how their misery films rape my sense of fun.

I understand how someone who isn't into comics could think this after the Adam West 60s TV series and stuff but for people who actually into comics it's cool that Batman's a dark character, there are other heroes that aren't, they shouldn't all be the same.

I like Batman and Robin, it's definitely shit though.

I never liked Tommy Lee Jones as two-face, his "normal" side is way too gross.

Jim Carrey was too over the top, he should either play the Joker or down play himself a bit, he was playing the Riddler as if he was the Joker.

Drew Barrymore was hot as Two-Face's assistant though.

I thought Phone Booth was more popular too, I thought people liked that movie.

The other films weren't "dark for no reason", they were dark because Batman is a dark story. The comics always were that way, it's only the super-camp Adam West kids TV show that turned Batman soft as shite.

You should watch The Cape, you'd like that!

• Paid Members

Of course it is. The original Batman series was great fun, there's rarely been anything quite like it. It took a bunch of core characters and did something completely different with them, a far bigger achievement than just replicating the apparent darkness of the comic books in films and what-have-you.

Tim Burton pulled off a minor miracle with his Batman mixing the comedy and darkness together in equal measures.

Dark is shit. Colourful and fun is the way forward!

Fair enough, but the previously mentioned films weren't "dark for no fucking reason", they were dark because the thing they were based on was dark.

There are loads of happy, shiny, colourful comic book characters. Batman was always the creepy one. The Nolan and Burton ones were much closer in tone to the comics.

Archived