'Smokin' Joe Frazier 1944-2011

David

I know we have a boxing thread, but I thought that someone of Frazier's stature and legend deserved a thread of his own. If Jade Goody deserves one, then Smokin' Joe does.

It's only fitting to post a nice article from the New York Times, which was the mecca of boxing during Frazier's day;

Joe Frazier, the former heavyweight champion whose furious and intensely personal fights with a taunting Muhammad Ali endure as an epic rivalry in boxing history, died Monday night. He was 67.

His business representative, Leslie Wolff, told The Associated Press on Saturday that Frazier had liver cancer and that he had entered hospice care.

Known as Smokin

One half of the greatest rivalry in boxing, if not one of the biggest rivalries between two sportsmen in any competition.

My Dad use to show me tapes of the old heavyweight fights, lost count of the times I watched the Thrilla in Manila, awesome fight.

RIP Smokin' Joe.

• Paid Members

Sad news. I knew he went into hospital recently and it wasn't looking good but I guess I still expected he'd come through it. I always kinda wished him and Ali would somehow end up on good terms before one of them died.

Legend. Aside from the classics with Ali I'd recommend giving the fights with Oscar Bonavena a look aswell.

RIP Joe

That movie/doc they're bringing out is gonna be powerful viewing even more now.

Need to dig out the Manila fight and watch it again soon- unbelievable at the end of round 14, and the shape he was in, he was begging Futch not to stop the fight because he wanted to go out for more. Absolutely hard as nails, as tough as they come.

• Paid Members

Floyd Mayweather is offering to pay for Smokin Joe's funeral

FloydMayweather Floyd Mayweather

My Condolences go out to the family of the late great Joe Frazier. #TheMoneyTeam will pay for his Funeral services.

about 9 hours ago

RIP Smokin Joe. My thoughts and prayers go out to to the Frazier family. We lost an all time great tonight.

about 9 hours ago

That's a nice gesture.

• Paid Members
Floyd Mayweather is offering to pay for Smokin Joe's funeral

My Condolences go out to the family of the late great Joe Frazier. #TheMoneyTeam will pay for his Funeral services.

about 9 hours ago

RIP Smokin Joe. My thoughts and prayers go out to to the Frazier family. We lost an all time great tonight.

about 9 hours ago

That's a nice gesture.

He says that, but he'll just duck out of payment at the last moment.

• Paid Members

RIP Joe.

Sad news :( Joe Frazier is one of the main reasons why i'm a boxing fan. As a young teenager i picked up the Champions Forever panel/documentary video and which featured Frazier and i watched that thing till it wore out, every guy on video holds a special place for me.

A true legend of the sport, i'll be watching myself some Smokin' Joe fights this weekend.

Archived