Gladstone's Golden Age Of Cinema

Devon Malcolm

I would definitely have included Forbidden Planet (1956).

I know it's one of the most famous scifi films, but there's a reason for this - it's fucking amazing. There's a 50th Anniversary restored print on Amazon that just looks and sounds incredible. The extraordinary special effects, many of which still look great (particularly the matt painted backgrounds for the giant underground city), the entirely ambient sound score... it's a film that wasn't surpassed artistically until Blade Runner probably.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The Fly is a great little movie, as is the previously mentioned Forbidden Planet ,(Is that the one with the invisible monster?).

Also its not sci-fi really but the first Invisible Man movie was amazing when i first watched it. I loved all the special effect considering how old it was, the riding of the bike and unwrapping of his head etc. Great film.

• Paid Members

You need to get out of Barrow Island, Richie.

Here's another of his, Jail Bait:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5GSf0hRMl8

Also, make sure you catch the Tim Burton film about him. It's brilliant and quite accurate on the various ways he got his films made.

• Paid Members
I'm always happy that the Ed Wood movie ends where it does, too - his downward slide isn't something I'd want to watch, especially with the character being as likeable as Depp made him.

Yes. By all accounts there are almost no stories that Wood was anything less than a really nice bloke, so I think it was the right way for Tim Burton to portray him. His relationship with Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood and how it is portrayed is the best thing about it and one of the best things Burton has ever done. Martin Landau cannot get enough praise for his performance in it.

Nice Thread.

I actually wrote about Quatermass 2 and the Day the Earth Caught Fire (and indeed a few James Stewart films) in an article on Underrated/Underappreciated Movies the other week on the blog.

Good to see others have seen these films.

Sid James in a serious role is worth wathing Q2 for alone, and in a similar thing, Peter Butterworth is a non speaking Extra in the Day the Earth Caught Fire.

• Paid Members
Nice Thread.

I actually wrote about Quatermass 2 and the Day the Earth Caught Fire (and indeed a few James Stewart films) in an article on Underrated/Underappreciated Movies the other week on the blog.

Good to see others have seen these films.

Sid James in a serious role is worth wathing Q2 for alone, and in a similar thing, Peter Butterworth is a non speaking Extra in the Day the Earth Caught Fire.

It also has one of Michael Caine's first speaking roles. He's the policeman near the barricade.

Archived