Panto 2011

Gordon_The_Gopher

• Paid Members

Whilst trying to find details of Justin Fletcher in Pantomime this year (for my 2 year old son, of course!!) I discovered that he will be playing Wishee Washee in Aladdin in Reading. Family day out AHOY!!

During my searches, however, I found out that David FUCKING Hasselhoff is playing Hook in Peter Pan at Bristol Hippodrome!!!

This glorious little nugget has lead me to planning another trip out with friends/acquaintences.

So the floor is open - where are you heading?

• Paid Members
I'm in one pantomime (Treasure Island), and I've written another (Rumpelstiltskin) for two local amateur groups, but strangely, I don't actually enjoy watching them very much. Being in one is much more fun than being in the audience, I find!

How easy is it to get into? I have always wanted to do panto (an obvious off shoot from wrestling, me thinks) but never knew how to go about it?

• Awards Moderator
I'm in one pantomime (Treasure Island), and I've written another (Rumpelstiltskin) for two local amateur groups, but strangely, I don't actually enjoy watching them very much. Being in one is much more fun than being in the audience, I find!

How easy is it to get into? I have always wanted to do panto (an obvious off shoot from wrestling, me thinks) but never knew how to go about it?

It was dead easy for me. Most small towns and villages have an am-dram group, and the vast majority of them do a panto. There are various ways they'll advertise when auditions are coming up, depending on the size of the group - posters on the noticeboards, maybe a bit in the local paper... Knowing someone who does it already is one of the best ways, obviously, or you can just go to see one of the shows and get talking to the people who are involved.

November's probably a bit late for this year - things will usually kick off around September round here - but keep a look out for next year.

As for getting a part, usually it's a case of just showing up to the auditions or read-throughs, and if the director thinks you're good for a part, you'll probably get it (again this is sometimes down to demand - there were only two or three blokes who auditioned for Rumpelstiltskin this year, so they were all guaranteed decent-sized roles). Some clubs will have a yearly subscription fee, some won't. Simple as that, really.

Having done it a few times, and written a few as well, it's definitely an off shoot from wrestling in terms of audience reaction. You've got heels, you've got babyfaces, and if they're good, the heels will be booed before they've even said anything. There's a kind of freedom in panto too, you can ad-lib to a certain extent and play off audience reactions. There's loads of parallels, I think. Some of our characters even get entrance music, and I confess that when I write a script I stick a few wrestling references in there (such as the principal boy going "SHALL I?" just before he decks the villain at the end).

Had a similar discussion yesterday about this down the pub

Turns out Ted Robbins is doing this years panto again here

Last years, which he wrote was considered tosh by all who saw it, many said the local Am-Dram production was better :omg:

I dunno whether to venture out or not, depends on me back, plus saving cash for PCW

• Awards Moderator
In Milton Keynes we have Gareth Gates in Aladdin.

Take that Will Young!

That's not actually that bad, Gates has carved out a half-decent West End career for himself in the past few years. He was surprisingly good as Marius in Les Miserables recently... and I'm not ashamed to know that...

not going to one myself but for anyone in liverpool who is interested these are this years shows in the big 3 theatres

playhouse

cinderella: mop! in the name of love - starring no big names

empire

white christmas the musical - starring aled jones

royal court

little scouse on the prairie - starring andrew schofield

snow white - starring tina malone, jamie rickers and pete price

the two royal court shows overlap as little scouse starts on nov 25th till jan 21st while snow white is on from dec 9th to jan 8th

Archived