Great bands that you thought were shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Fucking hate the Chilli Peppers. Hate Hate Hate the fuckers.

I was the same with the Boss when I was younger because being 6 years old and having no music taste I loved Born in the USA but then Streets of Philadelphia was his big hit at the time and I fucking loathed it. As I got older naturally I learned to stop hating and love the Boss

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Add me to the 'got into Springsteen as i got older' camp. My dad played Born In The USA to death in the car when i was younger and i never hated it but it was just 'dad music' to me. Recently got into him though and im slowly getting through the back catalogue, i fucking love Born In The USA now, i know its not the purists choice but them songs are just ingrained in me.

• Paid Members
The opening post in this thread pretty much sums up my view of the Stereophonics up until this time last year.

I first heard them on Shine 9 with A Thousand Trees. (Side note: I loved those albums, the only complations where both discs were equally as good.) They were touring at the time it was released so I contacted the local paper and asked if I could interview the band on their behalf. So I did. Met them backstage in Neath, interviewed them, had a press pass, went to the aftershow party, etc. After that I pretty much followed them around whenever I could.

It was around this time that fanzines were popular and so I started writing an unofficial version. I had the backing from their PR guys at V2 so I was allowed to call it the "Official Unofficial Fanzine". They sent me loads of shit to give away as prizes and everything. I got backstage passes for the Cardiff Castle gig and the Morfa Stadium gig. I even got into the aftershow party one Christmas at the Cardiff International Arena. Met Gruff from the Super Furries and James Dean Bradfield from the Manics as well as Stuart Cable's mum, Mable. All the dates blur a bit but because the guys knew me I also blagged my way backstage at V97 and V98 and then they played the freshers' week at the uni I went to so I saw them there again.

When JEEP came out though I'd already started to go off them and didn't even bother buying it. I'm not really sure why my interest decreased so much to be honest, I still liked the music but just not enough to care any more. Between then and now there are still only a handful of songs I know and that's just because of radio play.

Last year though I saw they were doing one-off gigs in Shepherd's Bush where they played the entire two albums plus B-sides. My mate works for some concert promotors so I got on the guestlist for Word Gets Around. I have to say that it was one of THE best gigs I have ever been to if not the best overall. It was absolutely outstanding. It was only 4 months-ish since Stuart died and a couple of times during the gig I shed a tear. They showed old footage on a screen behind and the first time Stuart popped up he got a massive cheer. Even thinking about it now brings a lump to my throat.

That night was so amazing that I asked my mate if I could go the next night for Performance & Cocktails too which she fixed for me. It was also a brilliant night but not nearly as good as the night before.

Since then I've bought Decade In The Sun (the best of) and caught up with more recent stuff. I'm still not massively into the albums after JEEP but I've fallen in love with the band again. I've dug out all my old singles (I had every one up, both CDs, to Have A Nice Day) and put them on my MP3 player along with the B-sides. Some of the B-sides are better than the album tracks.

So yeah, I was in love with the Sterephonics, I fell out of love and thought most of their stuff was pretentious shit and now I'm back in love with them again learning to like the more recent stuff.

Sorry for waffling.

Waffle on :) its posts like that that made me start this thread.

Im gonna work through the back catalogue though, i purchased 3 of the albums on ebay over the weekend for a grand total of 3 quid, tidy.

The band could probably still sell out tours ln the strength of them first two records. When i saw them last year, Dakota aside nothing got a reaction like the tracks off the first 2 albums.

'Phonics are a bit of a strange one. Loved the first 2 albums to death, seen em a bunch of times and then, went a bit flat until Language. Sex. Violence Other came along, which was a really dirty gritty album and

doesnt get enough love. went and saw them again. Then dropped out again afterwards

Ive got the first two albums, Language. Sex. Violence. Other plus You Gotta Go There to Come Back, but havent bothered with JEEP, Pull the Pin or Keep Calm and Carry On. Are they worth getting then? As the stuff I've heard off them doesn't really get us in the same way. Stuff like

sounds more like Kula Shaker or later Oasis than Stereophonics

Savatage, first time I heard them was back in 2004 and I didn't thought they were anything special - just an ok band. About a year and half later I gave them another listen and was just blown away from the greatness of this underrated band and couldn't understand why I didn't like them at first listen - these days I'd say Savatage are by far one of my favorites and I'd love to catch them in a reunion gig one day.

Archived