Great bands that you thought were shit

Egg Shen

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Really? They're a hugely respected, high quality band as far as I'm concerned, and I've never really read anyone describing them as "uncool".

Mr. Writer was pretty much him whining about people doing that. Terrible song.

Fucking hell, I forgot that one. Mark & Lard playing fart noises over the last minute of it on Radio 1 improved it immensely back in the day.

• Paid Members

Never liked Mr Writer but I generally really liked the Stereophonics, the first 2 albums anyway. Looks like I might have to give some later Supergrass stuff a go though, I fucking love Richard III and always liked Sun Hits The Sky and a couple of others too, but they were just one of those bands I never felt compelled to listen to more of their stuff at the time, like Mansun, Skunk Anansie or Bush

• Paid Members

The opening post in this thread pretty much sums up my view of the Stereophonics up until this time last year.

I first heard them on Shine 9 with A Thousand Trees. (Side note: I loved those albums, the only complations where both discs were equally as good.) They were touring at the time it was released so I contacted the local paper and asked if I could interview the band on their behalf. So I did. Met them backstage in Neath, interviewed them, had a press pass, went to the aftershow party, etc. After that I pretty much followed them around whenever I could.

It was around this time that fanzines were popular and so I started writing an unofficial version. I had the backing from their PR guys at V2 so I was allowed to call it the "Official Unofficial Fanzine". They sent me loads of shit to give away as prizes and everything. I got backstage passes for the Cardiff Castle gig and the Morfa Stadium gig. I even got into the aftershow party one Christmas at the Cardiff International Arena. Met Gruff from the Super Furries and James Dean Bradfield from the Manics as well as Stuart Cable's mum, Mable. All the dates blur a bit but because the guys knew me I also blagged my way backstage at V97 and V98 and then they played the freshers' week at the uni I went to so I saw them there again.

When JEEP came out though I'd already started to go off them and didn't even bother buying it. I'm not really sure why my interest decreased so much to be honest, I still liked the music but just not enough to care any more. Between then and now there are still only a handful of songs I know and that's just because of radio play.

Last year though I saw they were doing one-off gigs in Shepherd's Bush where they played the entire two albums plus B-sides. My mate works for some concert promotors so I got on the guestlist for Word Gets Around. I have to say that it was one of THE best gigs I have ever been to if not the best overall. It was absolutely outstanding. It was only 4 months-ish since Stuart died and a couple of times during the gig I shed a tear. They showed old footage on a screen behind and the first time Stuart popped up he got a massive cheer. Even thinking about it now brings a lump to my throat.

That night was so amazing that I asked my mate if I could go the next night for Performance & Cocktails too which she fixed for me. It was also a brilliant night but not nearly as good as the night before.

Since then I've bought Decade In The Sun (the best of) and caught up with more recent stuff. I'm still not massively into the albums after JEEP but I've fallen in love with the band again. I've dug out all my old singles (I had every one up, both CDs, to Have A Nice Day) and put them on my MP3 player along with the B-sides. Some of the B-sides are better than the album tracks.

So yeah, I was in love with the Sterephonics, I fell out of love and thought most of their stuff was pretentious shit and now I'm back in love with them again learning to like the more recent stuff.

Sorry for waffling.

• Paid Members
Oasis.

I've just never understood anything about them. Dont get me wrong they are "ok", but to be at the level they got to used to just boggle my head. Again the odd good song, but bar that a load of shite, (Self confessed) beatles rip offs.

yes, if we're talking bands we don't like we could go on forever...

im saying bands you've always dismissed, only to realise in later life that they are actually pretty f'n awesome.

Don't know what you've been missing kind of thing.

I never got Blur first time around. I was massively into Oasis back then, so Blur were seen by young Max as the enemy. Looking back though, Parklife is a brilliant album as is the self-titled one.

Supergrass are just superb. In It For The Money is a great album from top to bottom as is their own self-titled one. Pumping On Your Stereo is such a great track. While we're pimping mid 90s bands (albeit, drifting off topic), Ash are great too.

I used to hate The Boss and never got why people all around loved him. Cue a few years later and the heard 'Radio Nowhere' on the radio and started listening to more, then went to see him in Hyde Park the other year and must say its one of the best gigs I have ever been to.

Placebo.

I could never get past Brian Molko's voice and never took much interest in anything else after that. It just grated at me in a horrible way. I didn't come across them for a good while after I listened to the tape my big bro had of the debut album, and then watched Cruel Intentions, and Every You Every Me just jumped out at me and I loved it. I don't know what changed between those two times. Maybe just time being a healer as far as that goes. I have a huge soft spot for Molko's voice now.

• Awards Moderator
I used to hate The Boss and never got why people all around loved him. Cue a few years later and the heard 'Radio Nowhere' on the radio and started listening to more, then went to see him in Hyde Park the other year and must say its one of the best gigs I have ever been to.

I came in to this thread to mention Springsteen, too. As a teen I just thought he was an old man who made music for other old men. A few years later, my mate recommended Darkness on the Edge of Town. About ten seconds in to Badlands I was hooked and have loved him ever since. Well, him and the band.

Deftones, never been able to get into their music but I respect their mark made as far as nu metal is concerned.

Archived