Great bands that you thought were shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

got the idea for this thread whilst listening to the Stereophonics the past few days...

Shit is a bit harsh as ive always liked the band, but you get my gist. Basically, being Welsh i grew up surrounded by the Strereophonics music, the band are nothing short of a musical phenomenon in this country, i don't think it translates over into other parts of Britain but in Wales they are like the premier rock band, there's others like the Manic Street Preachers (who i love), but no one just infiltrates the mainstream culture like the Stereophonics.

I first saw the band back in 97 on the Word Gets Around tour, it was before they broke big but it was pretty obvious even then that they were gonna be massive, a year or two later i saw them headline Cardiff Castle (on the final day of my GCSE's!) which was the bands first massive outdoor concert, from there the popularity went supernova. It's kind of hard to explain what it was like, but basically the band were the soundtrack to every party i went too, in school they were playing, if you went to a pub the bands music was playing, it was everywhere, and they inlicited a response that when their music was playing people didn't just listen, they put their arms around each other and sung along, it was weird as shit, and it's partly the reason why i probably distanced myself from the band overtime (i was a rebellious little rock fan).

I think every single friend i had owned copies of them first two albums (i never actually did, but i liked them). It solidified the band's place in Welsh culture, and i think they still sell out these massive outdoor Welsh shows on the strength of them two albums. The band have kind of elevated for beyond being just a band, I actually thought the band's popularity had waned before going to see their big Cardiff City Stadium show a couple of years back, and it was exactly the same as it's always been, 30,000 drunk Welsh people hugging each other and singing along, it's like a crazy mesh of Welsh rugby/music fans, it's the same crowd. They are the only rock band a lot of them people even like, it's that kind of thing.

What i said above is partly the reason why i think the band don't really get the credit they deserve as an actual band. They are definitly not a cool band to like if you consider yourself a serious music fan.

Anyway's im rambling, from a musical standpoint i pointed out that i really liked the first two albums, they were the soundtrack to my youth so they always held a fond place in my heart (ahhh), but being the rebellious type at a young age i distanced myself from the rabble and when the band released JEEP i pretty much stopped listening overnight, think it was the Rod Stewart cover that did it (then the icing on the cake was when my dad asked for the album for Xmas). I can honestly say that from that day i'd never willingly listening to another Stereophonics song again (except for a couple gigs i went too... piss up with mates :) ). Until now...

220px-Word_Gets_Around.jpg

Shopping HMV the other day i found the first two albums, Deluxe Edition for

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Radiohead

I have never understood the praise heaped upon them. I find them incredibly boring and self indulgent. I've tried to give them a go but end up turning off the album. I appreciate a lot of people like them, but it does nothing for me.

I get where you're coming from. I can't really stand anything after OK Computer.

• Paid Members

Manic Street Preachers.

Being Welsh this is probably sacrilege. But they just depress the fuck out of me. I have a few of their albums and alot of my friends are big fans, so I've tried to like them over the years, but I can't.

Radiohead

I have never understood the praise heaped upon them. I find them incredibly boring and self indulgent. I've tried to give them a go but end up turning off the album. I appreciate a lot of people like them, but it does nothing for me.

I get where you're coming from. I can't really stand anything after OK Computer.

I weep for humanity.

Kid A is an absolute masterpiece, if your heart doesn't melt at the overwhelming melancholic warmth of 'Everything In Its Right Place' you need to return both your heart and your ears; they're both worthless. Amnesiac is a belter too, 'Life in A Glass House' manages to bolt together acid-jazz and trip-hop, and intertwine it with a gorgeous pop melody.

I don't want to fall for hyperbole like 'best band ever', but I struggle to find any arguments against.

• Paid Members
I should add, I think people have missed the point of this thread; isn't more of a 'bands you thought were shit, but you realised you were wrong' kind of deal.

yes, if we're talking bands we don't like we could go on forever...

im saying bands you've always dismissed, only to realise in later life that they are actually pretty f'n awesome.

Don't know what you've been missing kind of thing.

• Paid Members

Pink Floyd. For ages I railed against them as being self-indulgent, art-student bollocks before finally giving in.

Listening to Planet Rock every day at work finally broke me and I realised they are brilliant.

A few of my mates will never let me forget that I finally backed down.

They are definitly not a cool band to like if you consider yourself a serious music fan.

Really? They're a hugely respected, high quality band as far as I'm concerned, and I've never really read anyone describing them as "uncool".

Now all the hype about Britpop and so on is well and truly over, the bands that really stand out as brilliant from that era are different from the ones that were the most popular at the time. For example, Supergrass IMO are one of the best rock bands to come out of the UK. I went on a bit of a spreee a few years ago and bought their later, lesser known albums and they are absolutely stunningly high quality songwriting. They are also the best band I've ever seen live.

• Paid Members

Stereophonics are terrible. More Life In A Tramp's Vest is one of the worst songs I've ever heard. Pick A Part That's New isn't far behind. LOCAL BOOOOOOOY IN THE PHOTOGRAAAAAAAAAAAAPH. Get a Strepsil, you cunt.

Supergrass on the other hand - marvellous. Richard III is especially brilliant.

I'm quite sure I hated The Prodigy at the beginning, maybe because some cunt insisted on playing Charly and Everybody In The Place in the sixth form common room every fucking day for months. Then I forgave them when Music For The Jilted Generation came along.

• Paid Members
They are definitly not a cool band to like if you consider yourself a serious music fan.

Really? They're a hugely respected, high quality band as far as I'm concerned, and I've never really read anyone describing them as "uncool".

Now all the hype about Britpop and so on is well and truly over, the bands that really stand out as brilliant from that era are different from the ones that were the most popular at the time. For example, Supergrass IMO are one of the best rock bands to come out of the UK. I went on a bit of a spreee a few years ago and bought their later, lesser known albums and they are absolutely stunningly high quality songwriting. They are also the best band I've ever seen live.

they are highly respected but it's more a case of they are the kind of band that non-rock fans like...like they aint part of any hot musical trend/movment they just exist on their own terms, difficult to explain.

It's a musical snobbery thing.

Archived