Your first football match.

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

first proper football game i attended (in fact maybe the first senior football game) was Wales vs. Belgium in the 1994 World Cup Qualifiers, Wales had a great run that year, it was when Ryan Giggs was coming into the international setup, the National Stadium was full and it was exciting times. Giggs scored a blinder of a free kick too, great stuff...i remember when Giggs touched the ball the whole ground expected something special to happen. Shame Giggs never stayed loyal to the national side :(

YES!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ireland vs Norway April 30th 2003 in the old Lansdowne Road in Dublin.Me and my mate got free tickets through our school team,only thing I can remember besides Damien Duff scoring the scrappy winning goal,is three drunk lads standing beside us on the old north terrace giving us free cans of Bulmers cos they'd smuggled in too much.My 15 year old self was delighted!

Really miss the old Lansdowne Road stadium,it's replacement,the new Aviva Stadium is just so bland and non-descript and has no atmosphere.

• Paid Members

Pre-seasion friendly, 1992. My old man was good enough to take me to Spurs' visit to the Hawthorns (he was an Albion fan). 2-0 win thanks to Gordon Durie and Nayim. Myself and two other small children in the wrong end jumping up and down.

Remarkable to think Durie was initially bought to replace Gary Lineker. Fair enough, with the new season hardly started we also signed a certain Edward Sheringham, who worked out OK, but it's fair to say Savio Vega was a more effective replacement for HBK at No Way Out '98 than Durie was for Lineker.

Bristol City versus Chester City in the 1987/88 season

Sat in the Dolman stand with me dad and bro, freezing wor bollocks off trying not to spill scolding hot Bovril over us whilst climbing up the then steps of doom in front of the stand.

I remember Joe Jordan coming off the bench to score and iirc we won 3-1.. Having said that Ill probably find out we lost now.

Great times indeed starting an obsession that has seen us sit in every stand in the ground, been amongst the first back into the East End when it reopened to home fans, and seen some unbelievable things since.

Not been to AG for about 5 years now, cos of me back/distance ( last time was vs the Rovers in the LDV area Final), seen more of the City away now, and have pretty much 'done' all the league grounds around here.

Ho Hum

I am ashamed to say I've only been to three proper games in my life.

Rangers vs. Arsenal - Richard Gough Testimonial '95?

Rangers vs. Partick Thistle - '96?

Partick Thistle vs. Queen of the South - Sometime around 2005/2006

I also once saw a bunch of recovering drug addicts taking on a Hollyoaks/Brookside select XI, which was great as the drug addicts lost like 11-0.

• Paid Members

Incidentally (this seems the best thread for it)

theme for "The Match" came up a while back, and nothing quite makes me think of my childhood getting into first watching football on telly.

I remember nearly all the matches I saw live on "The Match" in 1992. Dennis Bailey's hat trick in the 4-1 at Old Trafford, Leeds hammering Sheffield Wednesday 6-1 with a Lee Chapman hat trick, Scott Gemmil going in to get the winner in Forest 3-2 Arsenal, the double header of Sheff Utd 2-3 Leeds and Liverpool 2-0 Man United which sealed the title for Howard Wilkinson's men. Even my own sweet lot made a few appearances on The Match, including getting robbed beaten on our own patch in extra time against Forest in a Rumbelows Cup (heh) semi final courtesy of a Roy Keane header. Pitch was a disgrace.

Apologies for this shameless self-indulgent mental meandering. Might even watch Leeds v Stuttgart now for a laugh, which some lad has uploaded in its entirety. I always forget Rocky Rocastle went to Leeds, Scott Sellars too.

• Paid Members

Elland Road, Leeds United 0-0 Tottenham. 14/12/1996.

Grew up a Spurs fan some strange reason, no-one else in my family were. My Dad sorted us tickets with a Leeds supporting mate of his, and we were sat in their end. Atrocious game, nothing happened.

Since then i've become a semi-regular visitor to home and away games with Anglesey Spurs supporters club.

I'm more regular at Bangor City games though, and I don't miss many home games in the Welsh Premier. I really fell in love with the club at the

though, just before I went there for Uni. We got spanked but this trip and occasion was pretty special at the time. Fuck knows why. I'm there celebrating like a twat in that youtube link.

Livingston 0 Inverness Caley Thistle 2.

I remember it being a midweek match, the score, and Caley's second was from long range as Livi pushed for an equaliser. Absolute cracker from what I recall. January 17 1996, only the third time the sides have met.

Actually looking at the head to head: 12 wins, 8 draws, 12 defeats.

Made up for it by seeing Livi win the league up north in a fantastic 3-2 win.

In 1989 2 of my uncles came down and took me to watch QPR/Sheffield Wednesday. As they're both Wednesday fans they have always made out as if I spent more of the match cheering on them than QPR but as I was only 5 I have no recollection of the game.

The first one I remember is my mum taking me to watch us beat Coventry 5-1 in what turns out to be 1993. I'm sure I had been to a few before hand with my dad (and also the school used to take us) but this is the earliest one that sticks in my head.

My first and only England game was the 2-0 win over Scotland at Euro '96 which was an amazing day and I will watch Ireland play at some point.

• Paid Members
You went to Monaco? Fucking hell. What was it like?

Something to do with my dads old business (he was an executive and his boss invited the families to Monaco for the GP), and at 4 years old I sadly recall not much. I spent most of the time trying to spot Nigel's car (big massive Mansell fan as a child), being in Monaco probably didn't affect me as I was too young to really give a toss. I'd fucking kill to go back now though. This was also my first motor race I saw since July 1991, the first time I went to motor race was July 21st 1991 for my 4th Birthday at Oulton Park and I saw Paul Warwick's (brother of Derek's) fatal accident (not great for a 4 year old to witness), so Monaco was an improvement even if Senna won.

Archived