Your first football match.

Fatty Facesitter

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My folks went to a bunch of Leicester Tigers matches in the months before I was born, if that counts. Can't remember the first Tigers match I went to as a sentient being (possibly the post-christmas Barbarians match one year, when we still used to do them), but that was probably my first experience of live sport. Football-wise, I think it was a 3-3 reserves draw between Leicester City and Crystal Palace. Then again, dad took me to Yeovil games when we were visiting my gran in Somerset, so it could've been one of them.

Tranmere Rovers vs. Sunderland - 1996.

My brother was the mascot for Sunderland. Can't remember a whole lot about it, one of the things I do remember is away fans having to park in a field near the stadium. The facilities were pretty awful and Andy Melville was a complete twat to me before the match when I asked for his autograph. Peter Reid was in a pissy mood but it was still a good experience for a young kid.

We lost 2-0 (though I don't recall anything that happened on the pitch), but it was enough to get me hooked.

Swindon Town 2 -2 Man Utd, 1994.

Shocking result at the time, Swindon were awful but raised their game big time for this one, Incey scored for United, and Sparky Hughes if I remember correctly, Cantona got sent off for stamping on Luc Nijholt, twice.

• Paid Members

First game was Hitchin Town against someone in 1985. It may have been Carshalton Athletic, though I may just be remembering that from my dad's hilarious jibe that the defeated team were "more like Carshalton Pathetic." Used to go with him to all the home games and this was the era when British wrestling got moved to just after lunchtime, so I'd see both.

First "professional" game was Portsmouth against Leeds with my granddad, which I remember mainly for the fact that the away fans had to sit in the only uncovered section, and because you got to the ground by walking down an ordinary terraced street with this at the end:

800px-Fratton_Park_entrance.jpg

• Paid Members

Shocking result at the time, Swindon were awful but raised their game big time for this one, Incey scored for United, and Sparky Hughes if I remember correctly, Cantona got sent off for stamping on Luc Nijholt, twice.

Was it Nijholt? For some reason my memory told me it was John Moncur.

Yeah, here it is:-

What a match! Nijholt has a go at Keane, Sparky has a go at someone in the crowd and there are tackles flying from the get-go! Awesome.

Went to loads of Rugger matches as I grew up about 150 yards from Coventry's Coundon Road (Which was on Barkers Butts Lane). You could hop over the fence round the back and get in for free. First football match was on my 10th birthday (1984). We got gubbed three zip at home by Villa.

Was it Nijholt? For some reason my memory told me it was John Moncur.

Yeah, here it is:-

What a match! Nijholt has a go at Keane, Sparky has a go at someone in the crowd and there are tackles flying from the get-go! Awesome.

John Moncur! Should have remembered really. It was Keane that got the first as well, although I knew Sparky was involved in some kind of drama on the day.

• Paid Members
John Moncur! Should have remembered really. It was Keane that got the first as well, although I knew Sparky was involved in some kind of drama on the day.

Looking back, that was some team of slightly unhinged individuals we had - Schmeichel, Ince, Keane, Hughes, Cantona and even Choccy wasn't afraid to throw his weight around. No wonder we used to beat Wimbledon and Sheffield United almost all the time, really, we had as many hardmen as they did.

Looking back, that was some team of slightly unhinged individuals we had - Schmeichel, Ince, Keane, Hughes, Cantona and even Choccy wasn't afraid to throw his weight around. No wonder we used to beat Wimbledon and Sheffield United almost all the time, really, we had as many hardmen as they did.

Absolutely. Not to forget Steve Bruce who used to put his head infront of just about anything to prevent a goal, and Pally was just as dedicated to the cause too. Just finished reading Pally, it's a decent read, if just to read about the drinking culture of the club, even as recent as 95-96.

Archived