Your first football match.

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Simple really, what was your first game or sporting event that you ever attended? Apart from the obvious thing to remember (the score), who was involved in your team of choice, who was it against and when? Did you get hooked on it from then on? This obviously won't apply to Man United fans who've never been to a live match :sly:

The first 'proper' footie match I ever attended was a division one (Championship) clash between Norwich and Middlesborough in about 97/98. My neighbour at the time was actually a 'Boro nut and he secured the tickets. I wasn't really inclined either way at this point, because I was so young I don't think I even know Norwich existed, let alone had a football team (the benefits of a Norfolk education). Anyway, 'Boro ran out 3-1 winners. Craig Bellamy scored the opening goal for Norwich and I'll never forget the noise, it just seemed surreal to my young ears! I'll also never forget my neighbours face, as Norwich went in front and Emerson got a booknig shortly after. Boro then equalised just before half time, the scorer hit both posts before the ball dropped in, then Paul Merson scored a second half double and somebody booted the ball so high from a clearence it went over our stand and probably into the car park. Still, it whetted my appetite for live football and it wasn't long before I started watching Norwich on a regular basis, and thankfully they won most of the times I went. We had a mean takeaway afterwards as well.

What about y'all?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

'95-'96 season, St. James' Park, Newcastle vs. Wimbledon.

One of my dad's colleagues, who had a season ticket, couldn't go, so he gave his tickets to my dad and eight-year-old me. Cracking seats quite near the pitch, and what a first match! Final score was 6-1 to Newcastle, Les Ferdinand (my favourite) scored a hat trick, the likes of Rob Lee, Warren Barton and Keith Gillespie were all playing (the lady next to my dad caught the ball when it flew out of play and threw it back to Gillespie for a throw-in), and the Wimbledon goalkeeper got sent off in the second half so Vinnie Motherfuckin' Jones decided he'd play in goal. Classic match as far as I'm concerned.

Haven't been to a match in years and years, really need to go back soon.

I went to see Sunderland play a friendly against a yank team called 'Seattle Storm' at Roker Park about 20 years ago. For some reason, I have a memory of the American keeper doing a scorpion kick (6 or 7 years before Higuita did it), and thinking that all American players must be really flash like that.

• Paid Members

6th Nov 1982 Brighton 1 Manchester United 0.

I was 7, it was in the proper first divison. To be fair I don't remember that much about the game other than I couldn't see much stood down at the front of the Goldstone Ground south west terrace and having to stand on a crate to see over the 3 foot high wall at the front of the terrace.

Nottingham Forest vs Arsenal.

I'm an Arsenal fan. We were top, they were bottom. Ian Wright scored first. Alf Inge Haaland scored twice and Forest won 2-1.

It was my birthday . . . not a good memory.

That was Stuart Pearce's first game in charge at Forest as caretaker manager. 1996-97 season. We went down that year, despite the mini revival that the Arsenal result sparked.

My first live game was the season after this. Forest vs. Tranmere at the City Ground in 1997. It ended 2-2, with Pierre Van Hooijdonk and Scot Gemmill scoring for Forest.

Will have to check which came 1st city Liverpool boxing day 85 we won 1 0 last minute clive Wilson header or city 2 spurs 1 and both teams come out in sky blue so city had to get changed into black and red stripe kit,,aah the smell of Cigs and bovril on the kippax

• Paid Members

Pre-season Merseyside derby in July 96 at Goodison Park in a battle to not finish bottom in the John Moore's Centenary trophy mini competition. Porto and Borussia Monchengladbach were the other teams involved. Porto had beaten us 2-0 at Anfield the day before, and Monchengladbach had beaten Everton on penalties.

The derby ended 0-0. It was a pretty drab game but Everton had the better of it and the best chance of the game was a spectacular overhead kick from Gary Speed that hit the underside of the bar but somehow stayed out.

It was exciting to be there, but dampened by the fact that the my friend and his dad who took us to the game were both Evertonians, they had the better of it, it was at Goodison and Fowler, Redknapp and McManaman weren't playing for us.

Since then I've only seen Liverpool lose one game live, no draws and all the other games were wins. Best live game remains the 3-1 win over Olympiakos in 04/05, for obvious reasons.

Bromsgrove Rovers vs Bilston Town (Southern League Midland Division)

My father took me to watch our local side when I was seven back in October 1985; The Rovers won 6-2 and needless to say I was hooked. Transpired it was the Rovers Centenary season and not only did we win the Southern League Midland Division, but also the League Cup (beating Trowbridge 4-0 in the final over two legs, shared the Merit Cup with Welling and were runners-up to Kiddy Harriers in the Worcestershire Senior Cup (lost 3-2 in the final, despite being 2-0 up with 81 minutes gone and Kiddy being down to 10 men).

We were regulars for the next decade until I moved away when I went to University. When I stopped going to games we were in the Conference, but by the time I was back in Bromsgrove a disasterous few years had resulted in the Rovers down in the Midland Alliance. There were some good times still to come, but a clueless, dictatorial Chairman saw the club change manager every season, saw him alienate numerous longstanding club officials and supporters and it turned out he was really only interested in trying to coin as much money from the club as possible for him and his family (wife, daughter and son-in-law were all employed in some capacity).

Eventually someone to whom the club owed money went to court to try and get what they were owed, the Chairman put the club into administration, two groups put in offers for the club (one supporters group, the other was fronted by a man who was just a puppet for the Chairman and his aides), the administrators went for the non-supporters group (they were very familiar with one of the aides), these people didn't have the funds that they claimed, they lost the lease on the ground (the council awarded it to a newly formed club by the Supporter's Group who had lost out when bidding for the Rovers), they then refused the offer of a groundshare (as they didn't want to pay rent), without a ground were kicked out the league and sadly in what would have been their 125th year, the club folded.

• Paid Members

February 1987. Hull City 0 Portsmouth 2. Was a crap game, City were shit. Surprised I ever went back. First time my Dad took me to see Hull FC, they drew 24-24 with Featherstone. Was an outstanding game. No idea how I ended up a football fan primarily after those experiences.

Archived