Could you be a pro-wrestler?

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Firstly, I know we've got a few wrestlers/managers/refs etc who post on here so this doesn't properly apply to them, but by all means jump in.

We're all wrestling fans, obviously. But how many of you think you could actually have a crack at it? It's a harsh business and in reality, you're pretty likely to be eaten up and spat back out by it. It's physical hell on your body, an industry full of people likely to initiate you be raping you in the showers and make you pay your dues and work you to the bone, there's backstabbing, not an awful lot of money compared to other professions and there's a lot of travel involved which means you'll be knackered when you're older. I've rounded this up into a few categories, so describe in your own words why you think you would/would not be able to have a crack at our great sport.

Physical tolerance

I'm shit in terms of tolerating physical pain. I get stressed and annoyed when my sensitive skin flares up when I'm getting my hair cut, so fuck knows how I'd be able to withstand training involving endless bumping and landing on my head. I used to muck about on trampolines in my teens (Ahem, teens) and I'd hate having my head upside down. Basically, I wouldn't last five minutes in this department. I'm also quite a short-arse compared to most and I'm a bit of a weed, so I basically have no business whatsoever being in the ring as a competitor.

Backstabbing/politics

Having worked in retail for many years, I'm actually used to seeing politicking and backstabbing and people not getting on. So in that respect I think I'd be able to handle it. What I wouldn't be able to handle is getting fingered in the showers by Bradshaw, or generally anyone shitting in my bag or sandwich. I'm a rubbish prankster, so getting anyone back would be pretty pointless. It'd probably drive me to insanity.

Travel

Now THIS I wouldn't mind so much, especially in the WWE where you get to see lots of cool places. Whether I'd be able to do that or not with the bumps and bruises of the road is another story entirely, but in terms of racking up the air miles or car journeys from state to state, I think I'd be fine. One thing that would suck is that I'd terribly, terribly miss my friends and family, so if I were any good I'd ideally go somewhere like TNA where you've actually got more free time to fly to and from home (Magnus in TNA actually does this and he's from round these parts).

So go on, own up. Could you handle it?

In case this doesn't go down well, Ian Butterworth.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Firstly, I'm a physical wreck, I have a bad back, bad knee and pock marks all over my body. Secondly, I'm not much of a traveller. Last time I left the country was in 1996. I could probably last the back stage politics as I'm a sycophantic suck up though.

• Paid Members

Tried for two years, ultimately failed. Couldn't hack it physically, found it hard to plan stuff I could remember when actually doing it and generally couldn't make what was in my head translate properly into physical movements. I was just in my head too much. But I gave it a fair crack and stopped before I injured myself or strayed into denying-your-own-shortcomings Shitarse Fifty territory.

• Paid Members
Tried for two years, ultimately failed. Couldn't hack it physically, found it hard to plan stuff I could remember when actually doing it and generally couldn't make what was in my head translate properly into physical movements. I was just in my head too much. But I gave it a fair crack and stopped before I injured myself or strayed into denying-your-own-shortcomings Shitarse Fifty territory.

You know what, fair play to you for coming in this thread and saying that. Good honesty.

• Paid Members

I do think I could do it. It's just something I'd never pursue, unless a decent sized company offered me guaranteed proper wages while I'm training, and by "proper" I probably mean "more than what most British wrestlers make in a week". Fuck "paying your dues" working shitty shows in front of 20 people in your pants for a couple of years. I'm surprised at least 50% of British wrestlers haven't died of embarrassment.

So, it's probably not going to happen, unless there's a company out there willing to treat me like Hogan right from the off.

Creative control sounds nice now that I think about it...

• Paid Members

You know what, fair play to you for coming in this thread and saying that. Good honesty.

Cheers mate. I have no qualms about it, I don't think I did anything wrong other than having a couple of matches before I was ready (which I stopped when Robbie Brookside took over the training school and, quite rightly, laid down the law on such stuff). I figured after a while that if I couldn't work out the kinks under a trainer as good as Brookside (and people can have their opinions on his wrestling, but he's unquestionably an excellent teacher), I probably wasn't going to work them out at all, and my body probably wasn't going to make it through such a process undamaged. So yeah, no regrets from me, I took my best punt at living out a childhood dream before I reached my twenties.

• Paid Members

Yes.

I`ve got the build for it, I can take a kicking and I`m a massive show off, I like meeting people and I love to travel, I used to do wrestling training and I was fine but the UK scene doesn`t appeal to me at all, I`d like to work the US territories back in the day.

Also if work is anything to go by I`m spectacularly good at getting up to all kinds of shit in my personal life and still coming to work and being a complete pro that management love.

I wouldn`t want to do it now I`m in a serious relationship though.

Also I`d want to come up with my own gimmick and stuff, I could totally come up with a gimmick In could work with, I`d never want to be a cookie cutter, given a gimmick and script type.

Ive been training with GPW since January

Firstly I think going to the right school helps, and I'm not just saying that.

Id tried out a couple of schools before hand, but Johnnie Brannigan and the GPW boys are the most methodical and the most fair. Theres no bullshit to their approach and I can't tell you how much it benefits you if you walk into it with the right attitude.

Half the battle for me its mentally two fold;

1)Be humble, as in really leave your preconceptions and ego at the door, because even the long standing trainees are more than willing to make you look a chump, never mind the trainers.

2)deal with the fact it is going to hurt. the first thing you learn (bumping) is the most painful thing you could possibly do when training, and even after a prolonged amount of time it takes it toll, you've just gotta weigh up the physical toll with the pure enjoyment.

I am FAR from done with my training, your never done really, but I'm no where near even making a small appearance on a show. but i think once you get your head around the above two things, your bound to appreciate it just a little more.

No, no chance. I've done training and a few shows in the past, and having done weights for years I looked more like a wrestler than 90% of the other lads at the promotion, but (as we know of BritWres) that's not saying much. I'm with Cleetus on this in that I never got far because I really couldn't be arsed with the 'paying dues' bit. Unlike a lot of the other lads there, I had an actual career outside wrestling, so the thought of taking massive physical risks (outside of basic bumps) and doing silly stuff like blading or taking unprotected chairshots in front of 50-odd kids paying a fiver each seemed ridiculous to me. I didn't find the bumps and stuff too bad, but on the odd occasion when somebody dropped you badly and you went over on your neck (even on crashmats in training), I'd feel it for days.

As regards the politicking, I get on well with people in general and can be sly when I need to, but like the OP mentioned, the pranks would do me. I definitely wouldn't react well to somebody cutting up a

• Moderators

Yes and no. I played Rugby for years, and physically I'd probably be ok after initial teething problems. I'm of decent size as well.

Fuckers are, I hate travel. I used to hate travelling 2-3 hours for Rugby matches, and my attitude would be shit as well. I've got a bad habit of saying what I like and liking what I say which I imagine is a major no-no for a rookie wrestler. Also, I'd not be prepared to do it for

• Paid Members

I was a massive fan in the early 2000s and if I thought I could, I would have given it a go, but I really couldn't be arsed with the million things you'd need to do to make it. I was going to have a go in about 2003-04, but decided against it. And I'd probably land on my nut and end up in a wheelchair, knowing me. I haven't got much shame, so I'd do all kinds of bollocks to try and get myself over. I could definitely imagine myself as someone people ripped the piss out of on here with quotes like "he's fucking rubbish!", "What a daft cunt, he was shaking like a shitting dog going for that middle rope elbow" and "why's he wearing a lime green rhinestone incrusted dressing gown, he's supposed to be the manger". I've always been more into characters anyway. I'd like to think I could compensate my shitness with a blooming good promo, but even thats a stretch.

I wouldn't do the job to anyone who wasn't ready either. That doesn't work for me.

Archived