WWF 2000 appreciation thread.

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Have to mention Fully Loaded 2000. Rock/Benoit on top, which somehow followed the brilliant HHH/Jericho Last Man Standing, Undertaker/Angle and Rikishi/Venis in a Cage underneath. Oh yes.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nobody writers who are begging for a chance end up quitting in the end. WWE would never get a hip young talent in the hot seat. There's a million reasons why its a shit job.

Well they did once, Chris Kreski who we have all been talking about. With them being a public company (and the incentive of shares) they could probably offer a better package now than they did then.

They'd have to want to though, and they don't want to. That simple really.

WWE is a career killer. Mike Goldberg from the UFC turned down a massive contract because he had aspirations in the sporting world, because "WWE" on your CV is dreadful for your prospects in the mainstream. Also, whatever the money is, few on this forum would take the job, let alone someone with a reputation in the field of entertainment.

Maybe it's a career killer for writers, but Todd Grisham, Jonathan Coachman and other former WWE announcers are working for ESPN now based off their broadcasting in WWE. I think even Mike Adamle is back doing sports broadcasting.

• Paid Members

Of course they want to. They just can't. Why would you think they don't want to? They can't even get decent writers for their movies. WWE constantly thrives to be a credible mainstream player. Also, it wasn't like they hired Chris Kreski when the house show business was dying and television ratings were in the gutter. Kreski came on board when they were the number one rated cable show in the US and had recently became a billion dollar public company. And it was during an era where there wasn't about 20-odd writers in the meetings. They've had 50 people on the creative team either leave or get the sack since 2005. And Kreski actually quit the WWF in 2002 as well. Also, they've had writers from Friends, they've had writers from Mad TV and all sorts since Kreski left. They all ended up fucking off eventually.

WWF 2000 was a brilliant year in wrestling and I doubt they will be able to come close to how it was back then. The PPV's were brilliant throughout the year and it's hard to choose a favourite. My personal favourites were - Royal Rumble, No Way Out, Backlash,Fully Loaded, Summerslam, Unforgiven and Armageddon. All were quality and the one's I haven't mentioned were great aswell.

With the way everything was the momentum the year created made another additional 3 great PPV's in 2001 (RR/NWO/WM) but then it sort of fell on its arse when The Rock fucked off to be The Scorpion King or The Mummy. I can't remember which one..

A few negatives I can mention is the Rumble 2000 match. Apart from Kaientai interfering in the Rumble and Taka taking a nasty bump the match itself wasn't too good. But thats a personal opinion. Another thing to mention is Austin's return could have been better and they should have done more with Raven & Tazz

Of course they want to. They just can't. Why would you think they don't want to? They can't even get decent writers for their movies. WWE constantly thrives to be a credible mainstream player. Also, it wasn't like they hired Chris Kreski when the house show business was dying and television ratings were in the gutter. Kreski came on board when they were the number one rated cable show in the US and had recently became a billion dollar public company. And it was during an era where there wasn't about 20-odd writers in the meetings. They've had 50 people on the creative team either leave or get the sack since 2005. And Kreski actually quit the WWF in 2002 as well. Also, they've had writers from Friends, they've had writers from Mad TV and all sorts since Kreski left. They all ended up fucking off eventually.

I meant they don't "want to" in the sense that the way they run their business makes it almost impossible, for the political backstage reasons you listed earlier. Of course they want to be successful and hire quality writers, but the way any new face gets treated backstage by the "old boys network" and also by the talent, means that anyone decent who did go there would probably run for the hills (as seems to be the case).

There is also the Stephanie factor, where she seems to avoid any blame, while the writers feel her (and Vince's) wrath when things don't go well.

When Vince sat up, took notice and said "OK, what we've been doing is crap, we need a drastic new direction" in around 1996/7, they showed balls and made drastic changes. That can't happen now, it seems, because doing so would be like Vince telling Stephanie she's a bit of a failure.

I also think they are in a very comfortable position now compared to 95/96 - they are still making a fair amount of money, there is no WCW raping them in the ratings every week - in fact there is no competition at all. So why should they take risks and take a drastic new direction? Why should they want to drastically rock the boat when they are still doing fairly good business.

coop_cheappops.jpg

My favourite wrestler/commissioner/DVD. Covers a load of the good stuff from 2000.

Mine as well. I generally think of Edge as my favourite wrestler ever, but I doubt anyone could match the entertainment value of Mick Foley from late '98 to whenever he got sacked as Commissioner. He was just such a laugh and he was almost the opposite of what you'd expect a top babyface to be, yet at the same time he was everything that's great about wrestling. His Commissioner character near enough guaranteed fantastic interaction with anyone on the roster.

• Paid Members

I agree that 2000 was terriffic year looking back. Not having a standout PPV means it's not quite as good as 2001 though.

I thought Wrestlemania 16 was pretty average to be honest, and what kind of mind altering concoctions were the booking team on not to book even one singles match on the entire card?

2000 was the first year that I watched wrestling every week so I'll always have a softspot for 2000. Looking back it does deserve praise though and isn't just a nice memory. The Rock and Triple H were absolutely fantastic that year and made incredible TV. Besides all the great events and matches that come to mind my favourite memories from the time were Godfather beating Triple H on an episode of Smackdown and Stone Cold destroying the DX Express.

• Paid Members
I agree that 2000 was terriffic year looking back. Not having a standout PPV means it's not quite as good as 2001 though.

I thought Wrestlemania 16 was pretty average to be honest, and what kind of mind altering concoctions were the booking team on not to book even one singles match on the entire card?

Eh? There were plenty of great PPVs in 2000. The Royal Rumble and No Way Out featured the Mick Foley/Triple H classics, Backlash and Judgement Day had Triple H v The Rock (with Austin and 'Taker returning), Fully Loaded had Jericho v Triple H in my favourite Last Man Standing match (as well as an underrated Rock v Benoit main event), Summer Slam had TLC. I could go on, but you get the point. All those shows had at least couple of cracking midcard matches too.

Wrestlmania was a disappointment, but so many 'Mania's are.

It was just superb. My favourite ever year for wrestling, by a mile.

I was in my last year of college, just turned 18. I guess its probably a bit rose-tinted, but it was amazing. Every friday evening, myself and about 5 or 6 mates used to go to the pub after The Simpsons on Channel 4. It was on a 6. Then down to the Wetherspoons that had just opened, and which was the coolest pub ever - full of college women and a beer and a burger for

• Paid Members
Then Backlash followed and what went down there was probably the best main event of the year. In fact, Backlash 2000 was the best PPV of the year, just stunning.

I still think its the best none big four PPV they've ever done. Canadian Stampede did have that amazing atmoshpere and match the close the show, but the reaction for Austin's return and the Rock's title win might have been the loudest a crowd has ever been on a WWF/WWE show. Backlash 2000 had every type of match imaginable as well. Cruiserweight match, the workrate battle, fast paced tag team match, mental comedy hardcore match, a red hot main event with a feel good ending, a return of an old star, comedy. I'd probably put it above WrestleMania 17, if I had the choice.

Archived