New wrestling figures!

King Pitcos

• Paid Members
Just now, Uncle Zeb said:

I'm pretty sure Luger was in that set, as I remember my friend John (the kid who got me into wrestling) bringing them round to mine and then forgetting to take them with him when he left.

"Excellent," I thought, "A whole evening to play with these new figures before taking them into school for him tomorrow."

No. He made his mum turn the car around and come straight back for them. :(

Haha, so close, but yet so far!

Did anyone else use to trade their Hasbros with their mates? We used to have a mini (what we would now refer to as a)draft every weekend.  There were certain figures that we you could get three or four in exchange for, like Macho King with the crown and sceptre. Another one that we put a high price on was The Berzerker because he had an actual cloth top on. The one I always kept though, no matter what the offer, was the Bearhug Hulkster because I though it looked the best out of all the Hogan variants and it was one of the first ones I ever got...

Oh and don't get me started on the wierd kid that tried to swap me my blue WWF ring with sound box for his WCW ring. He'd even lost the cage attachments for his.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

I defiantly had Doink, as he was the first one I chose out of that series because of the "real" hair it had. 

My little brother cut the hair off my Doink figure. Because he wanted to "see what it would look like" apparently. Shit. Shit is how it looked.

Poor Doink was never the same after that. Clowns with alopecia didn't get much work in my wrestling figure fed. 

Edited by wandshogun09

25 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Did anyone else use to trade their Hasbros with their mates?

No, but I did this temporarily (possibly with John again) for He-Man figures. However, there was a twist. For some reason we'd switch the arms on the figures, so he'd have a Skeletor with green arms, while I'd have a Moss Man with blue arms, for example. I guess it made it easier to tell which figures were part of the swap, or something, but I doubt we were thinking that tactically at such an age.

Edited by Uncle Zeb

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Does anyone know what the last Tag Team set sold was? 

This site is one was one of my favs when I used to make customs under the guise of Foxeth. However, here it lists every series in order with pictures, rings, mailaways etc (mail away taker is the only Hasbro I need, mare to get hold of).

http://darvelweb.free.fr/wwfhasbromaniax/pagefigurinesselectionserie.htm

Regarding your question about prices, it 100% depends on the figure, the series and condition. Green series are generally the most expensive as far as standard release go. I got £58 for a loose 123 kid a couple of years ago.

It also depends on the market, for example there was a boom over the last year when Mattel decided to bring out a line in homage to the Hasbro line.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

This site is one was one of my favs when I used to make customs under the guise of Foxeth. However, here it lists every series in order with pictures, rings, mailaways etc (mail away taker is the only Hasbro I need, mare to get hold of).

http://darvelweb.free.fr/wwfhasbromaniax/pagefigurinesselectionserie.htm

Regarding your question about prices, it 100% depends on the figure, the series and condition. Green series are generally the most expensive as far as standard release go. I got £58 for a loose 123 kid a couple of years ago.

It also depends on the market, for example there was a boom over the last year when Mattel decided to bring out a line in homage to the Hasbro line.

Bringing us nicely back to on topic as these are now at Smyths

IMG_8066.PNG

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Nick Soapdish said:

Bringing us nicely back to on topic as these are now at Smyths

IMG_8066.PNG

They just don't do it for me, I'm afraid. I can see why they made them, but for me personally the draw of the Hasbro's was that I had the exact same figure as a kid. The interest I have in starting to collect them, is to try and rekindle the same feelings I had as a young 'un, or to pick up the ones that I so desperately longed for, but never managed to get my hands on. I just don't see how buying a Hasbro style John Cena(for example), a bloke who wasn't around when I was in the early throws of my mega-fandom, will do that. If they had remade the actual figures they used to do, then it may have been different.

Those are just my opinions though, and other will have different motivations for buying the,,,

• Paid Members

Without a doubt, the appeal is 100% nostalgia, it's the reason why I decided to finish of the collection. They were a huge part of my childhood and I have loads of very fond memories that include hasbros. 

I don't have the same feeling towards the older LJN figures as they were slightly before me time. My brother who is slightly younger does like hasbros, but his heart lies more with the original JAKKS BCA figs from 96/97.

I have to give Mattel some credit for knocking this new line out. It's a decent attempt to reach out to a specific wrestling figure collector market who are spending good money on figures, but just not on theirs. On top of that, until now they have been hard to get hold of, limited release, exactly the kind of thing that catches the eye of collectors/completists. Now that that market has had its fill, they are starting to mass release in shops like smyths for a reasonable price in comparison to other lines. Due to that and them looking more cartoony with no small parts, they are ideal for the much younger fan.

I know a few collectors who paid £25-£30 each for these a couple of months ago.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

On 7/8/2017 at 10:51 AM, wandshogun09 said:

I bet Yoko and Bam Bam were a lot of peoples' last ones when you think about it. The set that had Gonzalez, Jannetty, Ludvig Borga etc wasn't really sold as widely over here, was it? Seems like there were only select places you could pick them up. So the Yoko/Bam Bam set were probably the last ones that were easy to find. 

Who else was in that Yoko set of Hasbros, actually? Yoko, Bigelow, was that the set Narcissist Luger was in as well? And Doink? 

I grew up in Inverness and the main place to get Hasbro's were Woolworths and Index. The last set I remember clearly seeing were the Purple Cards in 94 (Steiners, Doink, match attire DiBiase, blue singlet Jim Duggan). I bought Scott Steiner, Doink and Duggan, but remember the popularity of WWF at my primary school dipping around this time (in hindsight can remember nobody talking about Luger in a positive or negative manner, it was all still Warrior-Hogan-Macho). On a side-note, The Jolly Giant toy superstore was a good place to get figures at reduced prices if they were an out-of-date character. I remember picking up heel Boss Man (long after he'd been a face), Nailz and Greg Valentine cheap.

4 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

They are the same scale as the Hasbros, seen reviews of them when they came out in the US that put them side by side with the old figures

There was talk earlier in the thread about the new ones being a different size, but if there's video proving everyone was spouting nonsense then fair enough.

I still don't like the chest joints. I can understand them not being able to use the same moulds as Hasbro's figures, obviously, but they could stay a little closer to the spirit of those designs.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

There was talk earlier in the thread about the new ones being a different size, but if there's video proving everyone was spouting nonsense then fair enough.

I still don't like the chest joints. I can understand them not being able to use the same moulds as Hasbro's figures, obviously, but they could stay a little closer to the spirit of those designs.

The chest joints are just for the two who do the FU type move aren't they?

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I don't have the same feeling towards the older LJN figures as they were slightly before me time.

Spot on here. I get the appeal of those LJN's, but I jumped on board the WWF train when the hasbros were all over the place. I honestly couldnt tell you if they were even a big thing in this country, because my knowledge of LJN's were solely based on American collectors experiences. Were they around much over here? Cant recall them.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Spot on here. I get the appeal of those LJN's, but I jumped on board the WWF train when the hasbros were all over the place. I honestly couldnt tell you if they were even a big thing in this country, because my knowledge of LJN's were solely based on American collectors experiences. Were they around much over here? Cant recall them.

I'd personally never heard of the LJN's until I got back into wrestling years later. In fact, the only other wrestling figures I knew of were the WCW Galloobs(which although I had two, I couldn't really see the point of).