New wrestling figures!

King Pitcos

Yeah, the prototypes sometimes have different/better/worse paintjobs. There were a few Hasbros that did use a very different figure in the prototype though weren't there? Is there a list of them in here? There was a Shawn Michaels prototype in adverts that had the spring punch like Jake and Virgil.

Yeah, the prototypes sometimes have different/better/worse paintjobs. There were a few Hasbros that did use a very different figure in the prototype though weren't there? Is there a list of them in here? There was a Shawn Michaels prototype in adverts that had the spring punch like Jake and Virgil.

I don't think any of them ever made it to prototype stage apart from the Michaels one. There were a few others which were originally designed to have different actions, like Berzerker having the Texas Tornado twisting punch action, but I've never seen any actual prototypes of them. Most of the changes from prototype to retail were just paintjobs or accessories.

Edited by CTXRussomark

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Why is that? Lack of promotion? Lack of interest in TNA? Lack of money put into it? I know times have changed, but if you even saw a figure than remotely looked like a wrestler you'd get it when we were kids. Something takes over you and you have to add them to your little roster, even if you dont know who they are. Even when WCW was dead and almost buried and FMW were outselling their videos in the US the figures were still doing well. Around our way, I've saw a Jeff Hardy and a Shark Boy (?) and thats it. You dont even see TNA figures. Yet when they were on at 11 o'clock at night on a Saturday back in 2005, you used to see supermarkets stock BG James and Konnan figures. The Jakks line just seems to have been a massive flop.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Yeah, I don't know how it's doing worse than the old TNA figures. I remember seeing massive AJ Styles and Sting dolls in Sainsburys or Tesco in about 2005. These Jakks ones never seemed to get their foot in the door properly. The first series turned up in shops with the packaging actually falling apart on its own so there'd just be loads of empty cards and loose Jeff Jarrett and Kurt Angle figures on the floor. Jakks wrestling figures are really shit as well, that AJ there has got Hulk Hogan arms. I think with the WWE license going to Mattel, there's just no market for other wrestling figures anymore. Similar to the way wrestling itself is now.

I might try and get the last series of Hasbros now as I think it's just a few from that series that I am missing (Borga, The Gunns, etc...). I went on a mission a few years back (OK, probably ten) to get all the ones I used to own as a kid and I got all of them and some more. It wouldn't take much to finish the whole set, so I probably should.

My 5 year old son plays with my Hasbro's, he loves them, much more than any recent WWE figures actually. I must admit the first time I saw him smashing the shit out of Dusty Rhodes (from Woolworths originally) my heart sank a bit, but now I am just happy the little fucker is being quiet.