GTAV

Astro Hollywood

Just to be a nuisance

lets pop some rumours here as well

kokatu.com

Strengthening long-standing rumors for years that the next Grand Theft Auto would be set in Los Angeles or a fictional version thereof, a source familiar with the game told Kotaku today that those rumors are true. GTA V will be set in some version of L.A., bringing the famous franchise to a place that last got the GTA treatment in the series' top-selling Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. (So much for our other dream GTA V cities.)

We're also hearing from multiple sources that the game will feature more than just one playable character. That would seem to be a natural evolution for the series. Following the release of the PlayStation 2's Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto Vice City, PSP games set in the same cities as those console games let players control a single new character apiece. Those portable games helped establish the idea that there's more than one life worth living in a Rockstar-made GTA city.

Then, following the release of Grand Theft Auto IV the series' creators at Rockstar Games allowed gamers to play as a second and then a third character in the exact same high-definition version of Liberty City. Those who bought the base game and the two downloadable episodes could choose from the GTA IV's menu whether to play as Niko Bellic, Johnny Klebitz or Luis Lopez. Each had their own lengthy, interesting and distinct playable story. A GTA V that features more than one playable hero would extend this concept further.

Back when GTA IV was being shown to press, Rockstar representatives would stress the importance of the number in the title. As successful as Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas were, they noted, it was the game that preceded them, GTA III that was a paradigm shift. They hoped and believed that GTA IV, by being a numbered game would have and merit some outsized influence of its own. If that is still the company's philosophy, then after Grand Theft Auto IV's un-numbered episodes, The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony, a numbered GTA V should again merit special attention. Shifting cities was not sufficient cause for a new numbered GTA before. A change to the series' formula, however, one that gives players more than one controllable character, would.

Rockstar has had a lot of experience with L.A., working with Team Bondi to create a mid-20th-century version of it for this year's L.A. Noire, presenting a drive-able version in Midnight Club and, most famously of all, turning it into the amazing Los Santos as one of three featured cities in GTA: San Andreas.

Rockstar Games did not respond to requests for comment about GTA V today. Should we hear them, we'll update this piece. Otherwise, look for the official trailer for the new game on November 2.

Edited by iamtheman

Much like the crossover in storyline from TLAD & TBOGT, that could actually work and will make the game replayable. Going through the game say, 3 times, but with a different in depth story with some crossover references would be very refreshing for the series. I think it would have to stick with that though rather than playing a certain part of the story as one character, then moving onto the next to continue, then back again etc etc, I think you could lose the relationship with the main character(s) that way. Finishing the game several times over with a different character & story would be great imo.

Played SA last night for about an hour. I bought it off XBL a few years ago, and just play it every now and again. I still hadn't opened up San Fiero or Las Venturas, but broke into Los Santos airport last night, flew around LV avoiding the missiles that were being launched at me (I'm still an ace flyer), jumped out by the diner with the UFO symbol on it, stole a police car, drove through the desert, over the dam, found one of those planes that take off and land on water, jumped out when I saw a Maverick helicopter, flew it to the mountain where I was then going to then cycle down but was eventually blown up by the rozzers. Good times.

That mission in SA where you had to bounce the cars hydraulics dance mat style drove me utterly fucking BONKERS. Every faq and message board post contradicted each other. 'Do it the music!" They said. "Do it to the onscreen visual!" They said. I wanted to hurt people.

I hated that fucking mission.

That mission in SA where you had to bounce the cars hydraulics dance mat style drove me utterly fucking BONKERS. Every faq and message board post contradicted each other. 'Do it the music!" They said. "Do it to the onscreen visual!" They said. I wanted to hurt people.

No rhythm. I used to go to the nightclub in LS to get my groove on with a similar button combo thing. They did it in TBOGT too in one of the nightclubs Luis Lopez looked after. Do the Bus Stop~

• Paid Members

GTA III celebrates it's 10 year anniversary this month.

I really want to play it again after watching that. I need to re-download SA off Xbox Live Marketplace and give that a going over too, once Arkham City is done.

I really love the UKFF GTA threads. Make me feel all tingly.

Edited by Mr Stu

• Paid Members

No rhythm. I used to go to the nightclub in LS to get my groove on with a similar button combo thing.

Isn't there a girlfriend bit where you have to impress her with your moves at a club? The girlfriend stuff was the only bit of San Andreas I couldn't be arsed with but I'm sure I recall that.

Actually, I've just thought of another mission that took me fucking ages to do and it was that bicycle race down the Mount Chiliad. Fucking hell, that was solid.

• Paid Members
Actually, I've just thought of another mission that took me fucking ages to do and it was that bicycle race down the Mount Chiliad. Fucking hell, that was solid.

Oh christ, that was a horrible mission. Usually when I get stuck on race missions I put the odds in my favour a little by blocking off lanes in front of where the race starts, or by shooting down my opponents, but I don't think you could do either on this and it took me ages. Didn't you have to climb back up the fucking mountain to try again each time too?

The third triathlon in SA while not hard does take well over 10 minutes. The running at the end is a great slog. Makes me feel knackered just watching it.

Least favourite mission in SA was in the desert airstrip when u have to drive a bike down the runway avoiding bullets as u go and having to make the plane in time before it took off. Took me a good 20 times to get anywhere near the ramp. Great visual once ud finished. Jumping out of the plane as it explodes.

Mount Chiliad took me forever as well. Bellends kept forcing me off the mountain :(

Edited by iamtheman

• Paid Members

Oh christ, that was a horrible mission. Usually when I get stuck on race missions I put the odds in my favour a little by blocking off lanes in front of where the race starts, or by shooting down my opponents, but I don't think you could do either on this and it took me ages. Didn't you have to climb back up the fucking mountain to try again each time too?

Yes, that was part of the irritation about it. I think I only got lucky in the end because there was a big collision near the start between a few riders, yet I think I still nearly lost at the end. Fucking nightmare. I think you got disqualified if you shot anyone in this one as well.

On the subject of difficulty levels on missions, I thought Red Dead Redemption did a great job balancing the difficulty level in missions (granted I haven't had the time to finish it) and I'd like to see that in Grand Theft Auto V.

Hope we're getting a brand new location but I don't expect we will be. My second option would be a return to Vice City but I doubt that's going to happen.

Edited by The Natural

Carcer City is another R* fictional location. That was the setting for Manhunt. The city has been mentioned on previous GTA games either in cutscenes or radio stations. I don't think it will appear on this installment due to the strong rumours linking it to the West Coast. I'm starting to wonder if they have gone all out and the 'FIVE' is actually all 5 fictional cities. Liberty City, Vice City, Los Santos, Las Venturas & San Fiero. I know I'm just dreaming, but still...

• Moderators
Carcer City is another R* fictional location. That was the setting for Manhunt. The city has been mentioned on previous GTA games either in cutscenes or radio stations.

Carcer City's too dirty and grim. GTA 4 was pretty grubby, so this time I want airy lightness and neon, and country roads I can evade the pigs down.

IGN have a great series of articles about the impact of GTA 3: http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1210110...?_cmpid=ign1392

What do people think about the possibility of LA Noire's facial scanning tech showing up in GTAV? A few sites are just assuming it'll be in, but that technology is currently hugely expensive and time consuming, so I don't know.

Edited by Woyzeck

• Moderators
I wouldn't want it. It was needed for the basis of LA Noire, and as spectacular as it looked I think it would be unessassary for a game like GTA. Not to mention how huge it would make the game, and would more than likely be another game released on the 360 split over more than 1 disc.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I actively don't want it, but I basically agree with this. GTA has such a stylized look, I think if they make that jump to super realistic, it should be on the Xbox 720/PS4. And yeah, a GTA with facial scanning would be about 100 discs on the Xbox, so probably not going to happen. Next gen though, with a big name cast, hoo baby.