GTAV

Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
Yeah, they were a mixed bag, the lessons. There was a driving one that drove me nuts for days as well but I can't remember exactly what it was. Most of them were great, though.

There was one which involved driving around a part of the city without getting a scratch on the car, in a fairly short amount of time. I don't know if anyone else had issue with this, or if it was just me and my renegade driving style (read as unbelievably clumsy), but I actually thought I'd never be able to complete it. I wouldn't like to guess how much time I spent attempting it, or the internal damage to the Playstation controller when I threw it repeatedly, but the relief and shock when I did it finally is something I will remember.

• Moderators
Yeah, they were a mixed bag, the lessons.

Flight School was our generation's Vietnam. We all went through it, and those of us who made it to the other side will never, ever forget what it took. I'm sure plenty still have flashbacks about it.

There was a driving one that drove me nuts for days as well but I can't remember exactly what it was. Most of them were great, though.

This had to be City Slicking. To the other end of the city and back in under 2 minutes without damaging the car. Christ.

That's one of the things that marks down GTA4 - it was just too easy. As frustrating as these tough missions are, there's a real sense of achievement once you get past them, but there was really nothing like that in GTA 4. Nine out of ten missions I did on the first go, with most of the fails were just down to making some silly mistake on the first run. I don't know if it's just because I've improved as a gamer in the last decade, but GTA 3 was the most perfectly pitched ever in terms of learning curve. You'd have three different missions to do, and one would be so impossibly hard that you'd have to try the other two. You'd get one of those done, and the next step up from that boss would be 'impossible' so you'd go back to the others you were NEVER GONNA DO, GOD! and find that you could do it this time. And it was like that for the whole game.

• Paid Members

I live about 10 minutes away from Rockstar's Studio. Every single time a GTA game is in development someone who has "a cousin/uncle" who works there breaks the news that "it's definitely in London". This year is no different...

"You can break into Buckingham Palace!". You heard it here first.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members

It wasn't City Slicking, I think I did okay with that one. It was Burn And Lap, I think:-

http://gta.wikia.com/Driving_School#Burn_a...e_is_Banshee.29

It drove me fucking spare. It's weird, there are several missions like that in San Andreas. Didn't a lot of people have trouble with one of the Zero missions? I didn't - but I could not do Wrong Side Of The Tracks for weeks, and yet everyone seemed to have no issue with it.

• Paid Members

I quite literally shit myself in the SA mission where you had to fly that massive 747. I was so tense and nervous, more so than on my fucking driving test(s). SA was so wonderfully vast, VC was cool as fuck, 3 had the best gangs. It was always going to be hard for 4 to live up. Still, I bought a 360 for Gta4 alone and have never looked back, so I can thank the game for that.

• Paid Members

I never actually played San Andreas, mainly because I lost interest in gaming during that time. The last one got me right back into it though, it's incredible.

Not enough Vice City love in this thread. It is awesome for the radio/soundtrack alone.

Edited by Blackson Jackson

• Moderators
It drove me fucking spare. It's weird, there are several missions like that in San Andreas. Didn't a lot of people have trouble with one of the Zero missions? I didn't - but I could not do Wrong Side Of The Tracks for weeks, and yet everyone seemed to have no issue with it.

Wrong Side of the Tracks was talk of the San Andreas thread for a long time. Someone, I'm pretty sure Ralphy, literally spent weeks trying and failing.

Confession: I never did do those two awful Zero missions.

It wasn't City Slicking, I think I did okay with that one. It was Burn And Lap, I think:-

http://gta.wikia.com/Driving_School#Burn_a...e_is_Banshee.29

Yeah Wrong Side Of The Tracks were not a problem for me. Absolutely hated Zero and all his missions. I hope Berkley raped him in the end.

• Paid Members

The one where you guided the helicopter on a table top game was pretty fun I thought, but yeh, the remote controlled planes can go fuck themselves.

As for Blackson mentioning the VC soundtrack, I think it kind of goes without saying now. Best video game soundtrack there has ever been.

• Paid Members
Wrong Side of the Tracks was talk of the San Andreas thread for a long time. Someone, I'm pretty sure Ralphy, literally spent weeks trying and failing.

I'm fascinated by missions like these where some people could not do them and others absolutely breezed through them. I really don't remember having any issues with the Zero ones but I think my brother might have broke stuff over doing them.

• Paid Members

The one where you guided the helicopter on a table top game was pretty fun I thought, but yeh, the remote controlled planes can go fuck themselves.

As for Blackson mentioning the VC soundtrack, I think it kind of goes without saying now. Best video game soundtrack there has ever been.

I'd probably agree, but due to the relatively small maps, you constantly have to cut the songs short because you've already reached your destination. You could just drive around for a bit extra obviously, and if it's Wang Chung that's exactly what I'm doing. San Andreas was a lot better for having a long drive and soaking in tunes.

• Paid Members

I'd probably agree, but due to the relatively small maps, you constantly have to cut the songs short because you've already reached your destination. You could just drive around for a bit extra obviously, and if it's Wang Chung that's exactly what I'm doing. San Andreas was a lot better for having a long drive and soaking in tunes.

Yeah, I quite often drove around the block a couple of times to finish off the song, especially if it was 'Africa', 'Bark At The Moon' or 'Sunglasses At Night'.

• Paid Members

I gave up on SA after failing to get past one of the flying levels. :(

I'm fascinated by missions like these where some people could not do them and others absolutely breezed through them

I love this about games. I remember having difficulty with one of the levels, possibly Just Business. After many failed attempts one Friday afternoon and with the evening fast approaching, I decided to knock it on the head and go out. I came home after a few hours and braced myself for many more attempts, but finished it in one. It turns out I needed to be drunk to do it.

• Paid Members
I gave up on SA after failing to get past one of the flying levels. :(

I'm fascinated by missions like these where some people could not do them and others absolutely breezed through them

I love this about games. I remember having difficulty with one of the levels, possibly Just Business. After many failed attempts one Friday afternoon and with the evening fast approaching, I decided to knock it on the head and go out. I came home after a few hours and braced myself for many more attempts, but finished it in one. It turns out I needed to be drunk to do it.

This has happened to me so many times as well. Sometimes I have left levels for weeks and gone back to them after weeks of trying and done them straight away. Must be something to do with your mindset.

Never works with Bubble Bobble, mind, I still can't get past level 42 no matter how long I leave it :(