Your Team's Best and Worst Performance

NEWM

Best

Man city 4 arsenal 2

Amazing atmosphere for obvious reasons,1 up at h/time then arsenal took over for 20mins and then equalised,had the van persie 2 foot tackle/ade stamp,looked like only 1 winner until we got 3 goals in 6 minutes

Sheff wed 2 man city 6

Amazing performance from Ali berbarbia,he scored 1 and set up 5 , that season in championship under keegan was magical

Worst

Stockport 3 man city 1

3 down in 20 minutes,curly watts holding back les battersby from attacking frank clark,the days of 96-98 were horrible but make me appreciae these days more

• Paid Members
Worst

Bristol City 0 Brighton 1 Play off final 2004. Awful performance, we just didnt turn up and then some. Disgraceful

Others

Bristol City 0 Cardiff City 6 Championship 2010. Losing at home to our rivals in the league by that margin. Horrendous

The latter was much more heinous, given the background - the third game in 14 days against the same opponents, and we had learned nothing. There's gutless, and then there's gutless, moronic and lazy all in one shining package.

Other notable performances include the Fog Bowl against Torquay 6 years ago with Leroy Lita scoring our last known Hat-Trick- weird and wonderful to watch balls looping over the goalie; the 2004 playoff semi vs Hartlepool was an awesome game to be a part of too, as were both legs against Palace in 2008. I'm in agreement with Mansfield, it sounded nuts on the radio.

Best for WBA is easy for me...

West Brom 2 - 0 Portsmouth. The Great Escape. I was jumping around my living room, an unbeilevable day and no-one had done it before or since which makes it all the more sweet.

Honourable mention goes to beating Arsenal last year. The first time we'd done over one of the big clubs in the Premiership, my heart was pounding when they were holding on.

The worst is tough as I can think of plenty of awful performances but struggling to think of one that really mattered. I'll go for the one that I was most gutted about and that would be...

West Brom 0 - 1 Portsmouth. FA Cup Semil-Final. Yep, Portsmouth again. Will we ever have a better chance to once again win the FA Cup? Well that's to be seen but this was a bloody good one! Would have met Cardiff in the final. Gutted. It was a pretty lacklustre performance and game if I remember right.

• Paid Members
For me, this is what I have witnessed in person.

Best:

Aberdeen 4-0 Copenhagen - To demolish a team that the season before beat Celtic and Man Utd in the Champions League to win in a winner takes all match in the Uefa Cup in season 2007/2008 to qualify from the group that included, Panathinaikos, Atletico Madrid, Copenhagen and Lokomotiv Moscow has to go down as the best performance I have seen from Aberdeen. From Jamie Smith's 25-30 yard lob over Christiansen to Ricky Foster slotting home the 4th, the goals were well worked.

Worst: Celtic 9-0 Aberdeen - The score says it all doesn't it?

Spot on.

I suppose an argument could be made for the Bayern Munich 2-2 game which followed the Copenhagen match (especially as we were fucking robbed by the Ref). That was an unbelievable performance from us that night too - especially when you compare the starting lineups.

Two losses to Man City are my worst for different reasons:

Spurs 1-5 Man City: It doesn't seem too bad now, taking into account the recent Manchester derby, but to get rolled over like that in the first home game of the season by the team that beat Spurs to the Champions League left an awful taste.

As a football fan, I really enjoyed watching this game, Man City were terrific.

My favourite, not necessarily best Spurs performance was the 4-1 home game v Inter Milan last season, I didn't go, but I remember watching it on the telly expecting to get slaughtered but we put the (albeit shite) European champions to the sword.

Without a doubt Spurs worst performance is the 4-3 loss to Man City in the FA Cup. I went to the game with a mate who supported West Ham, and the smug shit didn't stop grinning all night! We were actually 3-0 up at half time, and as the teams were walking off Joey Barton inexplicably got sent off for swearing at the ref. My step dad text me that Spurs can't lose it from here. Well they fucking got humiliated by Shaun Wright Phillips and Jon Fucking Mackin!!

The game that I have enjoyed the most seeing live was the 3-3 vs Arsenal at WHL last year. Both teams went all out attack, and it produced a very good, exciting game. The previous season vs Arsenal when we won 2-1 was also a great performance, and the atmosphere was ELECTRIC, plus I got someone chucked out for racially abusing Sol Campbell!

My teams best and worst performances for a game that I have personally been at would be from the same game.

To give you a bit of background after we (Southampton) were relegated from the Premier League we had a bad start to life in the Championship with Harry Redknapp and then after he went back to the Skates we brought in George Burley where we spent a decent bit of money for the Championship at the time bringing in guys like Rudi Skacel and Bradley Wright Phillips.

After we didn't get promoted with a near miss losing a penalty shootout to Derby is the semi's of the playoffs George Burley stayed around for enough of the new season to almost get us relegated whilst collecting his fairly sizeable wage in order to fund his (alleged) serious drinking habit before f*cking off to become the worst Scotland manager since Berti Vogts.

In a stroke of pure luck we bought in Nigel Pearson on a short term contract until the end of the season who did an exellent job with a squad of players that had previously played like they really didn't want to be there and kept us up against the odds. So in light of the excellent job he had done and how well he was liked by the players and fans alike our hierarchy decided that there was only one logical option....NOT to renew his contract and instead bring in this man;

article-1050721-026298EE00000578-356_306x475.jpg

...for those of you that don't know who he is (neither did we) his name is Jan Poortvleit, a man most famous for being the left back that Archie Gemmill left on his arse en route to the most famous international goal in Scottish footballing history.

His arrival came decorated with several cringeworthy articles on our official site talking about how his appointment would see the start of a new era of ''total football'' at the club.

His first team coach was a man named Mark Wotte ;

Mark_Wotte_280x390_941057a.jpg

who as you can see had a terrible haircut, an instantly dislikeable face and later turned out to be there simply to bide his time and whisper into the ear of the chairman until he was given the job himself.

As a result of the backroom turmoil that was going on coupled with the big fee's and wages we shelled out under the Redknapp and Burley era's we basically ended up with little to no money left and a squad consisting of awfully below par players not wanted at Premier League teams like Lee Molyneux (Everton), Anthony Pulis (Stoke) and Tommy Forecast (Spurs)...who even more stupidly we took in exchange for money owed to us and our sell on clause for Gareth Bale. Some free transfers that were hailed as major coup's for the club but failed to deliver like Paul Wotton, Ryan Smith and Lee Holmes. A few youth team graduates who weren't good enough like Lloyd James, Oliver Lancashire, Jake Thomson and Matt Paterson along with a couple of good young players like Adam Lallana, David McGoldrick, Andrew Surman and Morgan Schneiderlin who were seemingly trying to play well enough to get off a sinking ship.

Anyway, fast forward to November the 1st 2008 at Deepdale Stadium against Preston, my brother who lives in Coventry has got the train up to Deepdale and I have driven down to Glasgow to meet him and then go and see the Saints in action.

The first half was a shining example of why installing a dutch coach with a mediocre record comprised of managing lower league dutch teams didn't immediately grant sub par players the ability to play ''shexy football''.

Goals from Billy Jones and Stephen Elliot meant that we managed to find ourselves 2-0 down and looking nothing short of awful, it wasn't anything less than we had expected so at half time my brother and I were still in fairly high spirits however had already began to accept that the girl working at the food stall that struggled with my brothers request of ''one bottle of coke please'' before blurting out....''what? a cuuuuuurk?'' and providing him with

• Paid Members
For me, this is what I have witnessed in person.

Best:

Aberdeen 4-0 Copenhagen - To demolish a team that the season before beat Celtic and Man Utd in the Champions League to win in a winner takes all match in the Uefa Cup in season 2007/2008 to qualify from the group that included, Panathinaikos, Atletico Madrid, Copenhagen and Lokomotiv Moscow has to go down as the best performance I have seen from Aberdeen. From Jamie Smith's 25-30 yard lob over Christiansen to Ricky Foster slotting home the 4th, the goals were well worked.

Worst: Celtic 9-0 Aberdeen - The score says it all doesn't it?

Spot on.

I suppose an argument could be made for the Bayern Munich 2-2 game which followed the Copenhagen match (especially as we were fucking robbed by the Ref). That was an unbelievable performance from us that night too - especially when you compare the starting lineups.

I however didn't feel as euphoric at full time though. I felt a little bit of disapointment that we didn't beat Bayern at the end. Sigh. Should stop this forum posting and get back to work!

Hard to argue with NEWM's choices, I'd imagine it'd be pretty much every Sunderland fans' pick - me included. The 5-1 game just isn't one I want to experience again, especially after having to go into College (in Newcastle) the day after.

Though for one to put alongside the Chelsea game last season, the 2-1 win against Newcastle afew seasons back. We hadn't won at home against them since 1980, the previous home derby was the 4-1 scrubbing (in which Arca ended Shearers career 5 games early, silver-lining and all that) and we weren't really in that good of form going into it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Richardson's free-kick is the greatest moment I've ever witnessed live and in person as a Sunderland fan - probably will be forever. It was just special.

the Mackams

Mackems.

• Paid Members

As a Spurs fan, this was actually quite difficult. We have played some superb games of football and also been involved in some ridiculous reversals and upsets that have driven me to the depths of despair. Such is the level of frustration my lot are capable of, I can actually distinctly think of two seperate games against the Villa where we showed great creativity and flair in pulsating 90 minutes of attacking football, completely dominating, only to fail to actually stick it in the net, and draw the games 0-0. GREAT performance, disappointing scoreline.

Best performance

Spurs 5-1 Chelsea, league cup semi 2nd leg, Feb 2002

Yes, it has been somewhat overshadowed by the same scoreline at the same stage of the same competition against the hated Gooners a couple of years ago, but nothing compares to the euphoria of this performance for me. Comparing how shit we were in 2002 to the team of 2008 - the league position at the time was misleading, as man for man it was a better team that had finished 5th the season before - and how the Arsenal team was weakened, but Chelsea's was basically the best they had available, it still sends chills down my spine to think how we put Chelsea to the sword. Every goal was beautiful in its own way - Sherwood's a cracker, Sheringham's laid on a plate by Darren Anderton's clever chest down, Davies' a deserved reward for a great game, Rebrov's from the bench was the final piss take, and even Iversen's poke home was brilliant as it made John Terry - a cunt even back then - look a prize plonker. Big Ron laced into him for dwelling on the ball and he was right to do so.

Darren Anderton was Man of the Match and basically ran the game despite not getting on the scoresheet, Poyet was superb in the middle, Leonhardsen really should have made it six late on. An amazing performance, made all the more impressive given the fact the team was deprived of Steve Carr, Dean Richards, Christian Ziege and Les Ferdinand, all of whom would have played a part in the game. Tyldsley tried to mention Ben Thatcher too, but I won't have that. King, Perry and even 'tony Gardner were great at the back.

Immortals in my eyes, Sullivan, King, Perry, Gardner, Davies, Sherwood, Poyet, Anderton, Taricco, Sheringham, Iversen.

Worst Performance

Spurs 3-4 Man City, FA Cup 3rd round replay, Jan 2004 (I think)

This was one of the worst nights of my life as a Spurs fan. Any other fan might find it hard to believe that their team could throw away a three-goal lead at half time, but not us, having seen it once before (fairly famously against ManYoo in 2001, in Dean Richards' home debut), but to lose a three-goal lead against NOT-the best team in the country, against ten fucking men, was an absolute disgrace. Much like said match against Man United, if we could have made it ten minutes into the first half without conceding, the whole snowball would never have started down the mountain. As usual, if memory serves me correctly, it was a sodding set piece that undid us. I don't think I'll leave to see the day Spurs can defend headers from corners. Distin and Bosvelt got the ten men back in with a shout, and I'll never forget the inevitable feeling of "he's going to score" as fucking SWP started running from the halfway line. Not even the fun of extra time was to come either.

The real kicker for me personally, was that at half time I had a lapse in attention as to who had been sent off (so thrilled was I at the 3-0 scoreline) that I text my BFF saying "3-0 half time, Macken sent off. Game over." Then he was the cunt that scored the winner! Arguably I deserved my team to get reversed for such arrogance at half time - and it's happened time and time again - but it still hurt. I barely talked for the next two hours before we left the pub, and didnt smile for about a week after this shockingly unprofessional collapse. That's Tottenham for you. In the years that have gone by, I have seen them score 4 at home and still lose ; I've seen them CONCEDE 4 at home and still win.

It's a horrific roller coaster of a fandom, but I probably wouldn't trade it for anyone else's.

Best: Rangers 5 Celtic 1, the day that Tore Andre Flo made his debut, absolutely ripped through Celtic that day.

Also worth mentioning, beating Sporting Lisbon 2-0 in Lisbon on the way to the 2008 UEFA Cup final. Played amazingly well that night, and 7-2 away to Alania Vladikavkaz in the early 90s

Worst: Celtic 6 Rangers 2, one of the worst I can remember.

Also mentioning the Euro qualifiers this season, utterly shocking, and the year we went out to Kaunus.

BEST

2-0 v Fiorentina in the UEFA cup 07/08, sure we lost on pens in the end but we tore them apart during the 120 mins. it was by far the loudest ive ever heard goodison in all my years going the game. i went deaf for like 5 minutes after arteta's wonder goal to level the tie because of the noise

Honorable mentions

7-1 v Sunderland the same season as the above game, pure attacking football from the get go, the Mackams just couldnt get near us that day

WORST

1-5 v Dinamo Bucharest in the UEFA cup 05/06. simply put, a disgraceful collapse after we had got the crucial away goal, made worse by the fact i was working in a bingo at the time and the main stage caller, who was a red, relayed the score updates over the mic as a way to rib me

0-7 v Arsenal 04/05. The players were suffering a hangover from beating Newcastle the previous weekend, sealing Champions League Qualification in the process and simply didnt turn up. again i was working that night and checked the score after my shift had finished and my jaw dropped. some of the staff walking in couldnt understand what the fuss was about

That forentina game was epic we got knocked out but i went back home with my love affirmed for my beloved blues and earache

spot on mate, i was gutted that night but proud. the booze i put away with my mates after the game eased the hurt though :p

Archived