Your Team's Best and Worst Performance

NEWM

All those stats about how bad Sunday was for Manchester United were amazing - in that there's millions of fans who have never ever even seen a result or display as bad as that. However, this comes just weeks after they humilated Arsenal 8-2, in what must be some of those millions' favourite game ever.

So with that in mind, what's your favourite and worst game for your team ever??

Strangely enough, mine both fall into one season too. 5-1 away to Newcastle last halloween was as bad as it got for every reason. As apparently the stronger team in the region, we were absolutely shameful that day. Mentally we weren't in the game, and absolute bellends like Nolan and Carroll were allowed to look like fucking Pele as a result. A horrible, horrible day - even worse than getting cuffed 4-1 at home a few seasons earlier in the game that would have been my previous answer to this.

But my favourite came two weeks later, in my last game before I got married, and on my Dad's 65th birthday, when we destroyed Chelsea 3-0 at Stamford Bridge. They would go on to lose a few more after that, but we were the first team to pull them apart, and we did so with style and class. A thoroughly deserved scoreline that could have been more, including a once-in-a-lifetime jinxing run and goal from Nedum Onuoha, and a goal from Asamoah Gyan that generated Bolo Zenden's dancing. A glorious day, and one that replaced my previous favourite - again a battering of Chelsea - 4-1 at the Stadium of Light highlighted by a beautiful SuperKev strike.

Now you.

Well, this isn't exactly going to be a groundbreaking contribution to the thread, because I find it hard to fault those choices. The 1-5 was miles worse than the 1-4, because at the time of the latter, we'd been playing catch-up on Newcastle for years - they had players like Shearer, Owen and Given while we had clowns like Nosworthy, Stead and Gray, and had turned capitulation into an art form. The result was still a pain in the arse, but there was plenty of time to brace ourselves for it. The 1-5 was so much worse because, at the time, most of us believed ourselves to have a good team, a good manager, and a bit of a head-start on a workmanlike Newcastle side who'd just come up from the championship. Watching the match in a mixed pub in South Shields was one of the most humiliating episodes of my life, and I can safely say I'll never repeat that mistake again while Bruce is in charge.

Strangely, all of the best Sunderland performances I've seen have been against Chelsea. The one you mentioned is the freshest in memory, but we also put four past them twice under Peter Reid (and, now I come to think of it, beat them 3-0 at Roker Park during Reidy's underwhelming first season in the top flight). That's really fucking weird to think about now, considering before last season I could barely remember the last time we beat them.

has to be the 5-0 demolition of Manchester United. It was 6 months after they clawed back that massive different to beat us to the title and 2 months after battering us 4-0 in the charity shield and we played them off the park with our best display of attacking football from Ginola, Shearer, Ferdinand & co and kept a clean sheet!!!

Albert's chip to bag the fifth, making the great Peter Schmeichel look like a mug was an awesome ending to a great day, one of those games I will always remember, similarly a few months earlier I had felt the same when England demolished favourites Holland 4-1 at Wembley.

Worst performance, there are too many to pick out in the last few years, some ironically involving Manchester United. The one that springs to mind more than the others is around March 2002, I think it was an FA Cup Quarter Final at Highbury. We were beaten 3-0 in the game where Robert Pires, who was heading for Player of the Year, got badly injured and missed the World Cup as a result. It was an early kick off and I remember Bobby Robson saying about the fans travelling through the night to turn up for an early kick off and his players forgetting to turn up at all, or something like that.

as much as I loved the 4-1 and 5-1 wins highlighted above for the opposite reasons, the triumph over United was our best performance because it was against that amazing United team, the 4-3 win over them in Sept 2001 was an awesome performance too as the game looked to be going their way when they came back from 3-1 to equalise but we bagged a late winner and I recall it being the first game where I looked at Bellamy and thought, we've got a bargain for

BEST

Morton 3-1 Kilmarnock in the Scottish Cup a few years ago. We had current St. Mirren ( BOOO!!! ) player Paul McGowan up front with Chris Templeman, and when Killie scored, it was if those two in particular just had a fire lit under their arses. We went on and wound up not even allowing them into the final third of the pitch for the rest of the game. Great stuff.

WORST

Morton 0-4 Stenhousemuir the season we imploded and should have been promoted and weren't. Stenhousemuir were a side completely rooted at the bottom of the league without a win, and they went out and destroyed us. Horrible.

Good thread this. Has to be the 5-0 against Man Utd really, in winning that I really thought we were the best team in England and could win the league. Whilst the 5-1 last season was sensational, and my best game supporting us since that 5-0, it obviously didnt really feel like we'd then go on and win anything etc, I mean it was fantastic, but it wasnt against the best team in England and all that. Close call though.

Honourable mentions to the 6-0 against Villa last season too, I went into that game not very confident about our chances in the Premier League, and then after a few minutes Villa got a pen, so it was like shite. But after that we tore them apart and it was brilliant. Really set the tone for the season.

Worst for me was probably when we lost to Blackburn in 96 I think it was, we were 1 nil up through Batty late on, then Graham fucking Fenton came on and scored 2 in the last few minutes and we lost, that was when I realised the title was gone and it was gutting, this match is forgotten as people look at the 4-3 against Liverpool around the same time too but this hurt more than that, probably wasnt one of our worse performances to be fair, but the feeling after that game is one of the worse i've ever had. Gutting.

The 2-1 defeat at the mackems the other year is up there as well, also losing 2-1 at Scunthorpe in the Championship, all bloody 2-1's by the looks of it.

Strangely, all of the best Sunderland performances I've seen have been against Chelsea. The one you mentioned is the freshest in memory, but we also put four past them twice under Peter Reid (and, now I come to think of it, beat them 3-0 at Roker Park during Reidy's underwhelming first season in the top flight). That's really fucking weird to think about now, considering before last season I could barely remember the last time we beat them.

Really is weird, especially as when they beat us they tend to score about 80 goals. I can't be arsed to count up, but with those three fixtures and the remaining Chelsea destructions (I can think of four absolute hammerings; at least three this decade and the 5-2 reverse of the 3-0 fixture from Reidy's first Premier League season),

there's been an absolute shedloads of goals in these games.

NUFC 4 Life - one of my Mag mates sites that exact Blackburn game as his low ebb in the 12 point lead season too, more than the Liverpool game - I imagine a lot of your fans will, especially as the Liverpool one is discussed every five minutes so Sky can talk about their legendary moments all the time.

Best Game:-

Liverpool 0 Bristol City 1- 1994 FA Cup Not just for the result where Brian of Tinnion's goal separated the sides on the night, but for the whole teams performance. We had matched them over the light abandoned first leg and the replay and the game was a step above and beyond what the side could evcer hope to achieve.

Others

Mansfield 4 Bristol City 5. November 2002. One of the best comebacks of all time coming from 4-2 down to win 5-4. I missed it because I got up late and missed the train down, gutted

Robbie Turner x2, Mark Gavin, Luvving it!

Worst

Bristol City 0 Brighton 1 Play off final 2004. Awful performance, we just didnt turn up and then some. Disgraceful

Others

Bristol City 1 Kingstonian 0 FA Cup 2001. Yes we won, but the match was turd and was televised as well we didnt score until the 90th minute in a match that Kingstonian should have probably won

Bristol City 0 Cardiff City 6 Championship 2010. Losing at home to our rivals in the league by that margin. Horrendous

• Paid Members

Two losses to Man City are my worst for different reasons:

Spurs 3-4 Man City: Being 3-0 up at half time and with City down to ten men, it was understandable that practically everyone in the pub saw it as game over. Sadly it's a game of two halves, and the second one was quite clearly a disaster.

Spurs 1-5 Man City: It doesn't seem too bad now, taking into account the recent Manchester derby, but to get rolled over like that in the first home game of the season by the team that beat Spurs to the Champions League left an awful taste.

Best performances:

Spurs 9-1 Wigan: The fact that I'd neglected looking at updates for the game, only to get a call from a mate towards the end asking if I'd seen the score (unbeknownst to us both we'd just scored another), made seeing it online that much more astonishing. Just brilliant.

Spurs 2 - 1 Arsenal: The first league win over Arsenal in several years. Granted, the 5-1 Carling Cup win over them was awesome, but this one just had a buzz around it, all started by a virtual unknown called Danny Rose. Fantastic.

BEST

2-0 v Fiorentina in the UEFA cup 07/08, sure we lost on pens in the end but we tore them apart during the 120 mins. it was by far the loudest ive ever heard goodison in all my years going the game. i went deaf for like 5 minutes after arteta's wonder goal to level the tie because of the noise

Honorable mentions

7-1 v Sunderland the same season as the above game, pure attacking football from the get go, the Mackams just couldnt get near us that day

WORST

1-5 v Dinamo Bucharest in the UEFA cup 05/06. simply put, a disgraceful collapse after we had got the crucial away goal, made worse by the fact i was working in a bingo at the time and the main stage caller, who was a red, relayed the score updates over the mic as a way to rib me

0-7 v Arsenal 04/05. The players were suffering a hangover from beating Newcastle the previous weekend, sealing Champions League Qualification in the process and simply didnt turn up. again i was working that night and checked the score after my shift had finished and my jaw dropped. some of the staff walking in couldnt understand what the fuss was about

Best.

Worst. Obviously.

Well not totally obvious. In only Arsenal"s 2nd loss at the Emerates, They were humbled by the mighty Hull City :laugh: Wengers interview afterwards was priceless. Perhaps one of the reasons the Gunners lost was because of a lack of respect for their opposition as he refared to his opponents as "West Bromich Albion". I watched the game with my mates in my local, The atmosphere was electric! I bought an extra round to celebrate, Never done that on a day out before or since.

BEST

2-0 v Fiorentina in the UEFA cup 07/08, sure we lost on pens in the end but we tore them apart during the 120 mins. it was by far the loudest ive ever heard goodison in all my years going the game. i went deaf for like 5 minutes after arteta's wonder goal to level the tie because of the noise

Honorable mentions

7-1 v Sunderland the same season as the above game, pure attacking football from the get go, the Mackams just couldnt get near us that day

WORST

1-5 v Dinamo Bucharest in the UEFA cup 05/06. simply put, a disgraceful collapse after we had got the crucial away goal, made worse by the fact i was working in a bingo at the time and the main stage caller, who was a red, relayed the score updates over the mic as a way to rib me

0-7 v Arsenal 04/05. The players were suffering a hangover from beating Newcastle the previous weekend, sealing Champions League Qualification in the process and simply didnt turn up. again i was working that night and checked the score after my shift had finished and my jaw dropped. some of the staff walking in couldnt understand what the fuss was about

That forentina game was epic we got knocked out but i went back home with my love affirmed for my beloved blues and earache

• Paid Members

For me, this is what I have witnessed in person.

Best:

Aberdeen 4-0 Copenhagen - To demolish a team that the season before beat Celtic and Man Utd in the Champions League to win in a winner takes all match in the Uefa Cup in season 2007/2008 to qualify from the group that included, Panathinaikos, Atletico Madrid, Copenhagen and Lokomotiv Moscow has to go down as the best performance I have seen from Aberdeen. From Jamie Smith's 25-30 yard lob over Christiansen to Ricky Foster slotting home the 4th, the goals were well worked.

Worst: Celtic 9-0 Aberdeen - The score says it all doesn't it?

Best: While I've been alive the 6-3 win over Man U, everyone thinks that was the grey shirts game, but it wasnt, it was the following year when we beat them 3-1, the 76 cup win obviously, but I wasnt around to see it :(

Worst: Getting beat 4-1 off the pompey scum in the premier league, to make it worse it was a result that practically relegated us as well

Archived