2Sheds v WAW

vanhalen2007

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

He is just a TERRIBLE writer. His style is so plodding and dull and clumsy. I was just reading his review of Bound For Glory, out of interest, and he talks about how fantastic Kendrick v Aries was yet translates absolutely none of that alleged excitement to his review of it.

Who has actually employed him to write for them over the years and paid him for his services?

• Paid Members
Herbie :D TwoSheds used to write for the TWC website, though whether he got paid or not, I don't know. Herbie?

Am I right in remembering that he got that job only because he mithered Herbie almost to death, plus I was sure that it was a voluntary gig?

• Paid Members

It was voluntary. I had no idea who he was - he just sent me links to all of these websites his stuff was on, as well as stats about hits, etc. I had around 15 people apply to write on our website so I asked Mo Chatra to short-list them, since I figured he'd know them better than me from the UK scene. We picked 5 or 6 people and he was one of them.

Fuck me, that newsagents thing was unintentionally hilarious, but I couldn't even get near finishing it thanks to the absolutely atrocious way it was written. I love humour in the mundane. Just a shame his writing style is as painfully moribund as his life.

• Paid Members
Fuck me, that newsagents thing was unintentionally hilarious, but I couldn't even get near finishing it thanks to the absolutely atrocious way it was written. I love humour in the mundane. Just a shame his writing style is as painfully moribund as his life.

The thing that strikes me is how he's completely unaware of how it's supposed to work when you are writing or creating a piece of work about working in a shop. Nobody gives a shit about Mr Wilson from 24 Harper Avenue and his change from The Times to The Independent, or what jumper his boss was wearing on Monday morning. Has he never seen or heard of Clerks or Rita's Kabin? We want to know if anyone's been caught wanking over a copy of Cosmopolitan or if the guy delivering the dandelion & burdock died of that angina he had last week.

The guy has admitted that he suffers/has suffered from mental health issues.

That's true.

http://twoshedsreview.blogspot.com/2002/09/depression.html

While some quite frankly couldn't understand the reasons for my condition, others rallied around me, and showed me the meaning of true friendship. They would take the time out of their busy lives to talk to me, just to make sure I was all right. At times, I would literally throw a ton of shit at them.

People who didn't understand what I was going through would have turned their backs on me after these little temper tantrums, panic attacks, whatever they are. But these friends, these true friends, after having the proverbial ton thrown at them, would come back to me moments later, telling me they understood why I said those things, and that they would be there for me, to help me through my difficult times.

Plus, all you people knocking his writing ability probably won't be able to knock his confidence. Here are his blogs about going for a job with his local paper:

Saturday, 21 September 2002

The Biggest Day of my Life

at 22:55 Category: Blog

Friday, the 20th of September, 2002, could be termed the biggest day of my life, because it was on that day I took my first steps towards doing something I love for a living.

At 2pm, I walked into Prospect House, in Norwich, headquarters of the Archant media group, owners of the Eastern Daily Press and Eastern Evening News. My reason for being there was to take their aptitude test, to see if I was good enough to become a print journalist.

Two hours later, I sat on the steps outside Prospect House slightly dejected, and somewhat confused about what had happened. You see, the reason for my confusion came about because of some of the aspects of the test.

Whenever I had approached wrestling fanzines, e-zines or websites in the past, about writing for them, I had always been judged on my writing ability. Now, in an attempt to enter the world of print journalism, I was being asked some very odd questions indeed; what is the square root of 27? What is the connection between Buffy and Dracula? And so forth.

I could understand why I was being tested on things like vocabulary and sentence structure, but why maths, and my knowledge of so-called cult television? This really confused me, and if truth be told, knocked me for six a little.

I'm going to be completely honest with you - if I was being tested on my writing ability alone, I would have walked through this test. Instead, having faced several maths questions, and some on ancient Roman history, something which I've never been an expert at, I now have doubts. I have a feeling that despite all of my efforts, I've failed this test, and won't be making it to stage two of the process - the interview.

But then again, I could be wrong. I hope I am, because nothing would please me more than to prove a certain troglodyte from Diss wrong, and to prove dozens of other people right.

Wednesday, 2 October 2002

The Biggest Disappointment of my Life

at 22:57 Category: Blog

Well, it's over. Today, I finally got the news I had been waiting over a week for.

So let's cut to the chase - I didn't get the job. Archant, in their infinite wisdom, decreed that my writing ability alone just isn't enough for them.

When I first opened the letter and saw that I had got the interview, I was gutted. I had such high hopes, because I thought that finally, after all these years, I would be able to make a living doing what I love, what's in my blood. It felt like I had most of the country behind me when I did this test.

But I guess it wasn't to be. I guess that writing ability alone isn't good enough to get onto the EDP/EEN team. Looks like my lack of knowledge with regards to the Roman Empire was my downfall.

So what's left for me now? I will always have a home with WAW, that much is obvious. A local publication, "The Crab Line", has rejected my work, claiming it is "too personal". There is the possibility of freelance work with a wrestling magazine, but that could be a long way off.

So with this disappointment behind me, I'm left with the thought that perhaps, this time next year, I should try the test again. Treat this year's exercise as a sort of dry run. Who knows, perhaps this time next year I'll be announcing myself as "Julian Radbourne - trainee journalist."

I hope he did get it the following year, poor guy.

While some quite frankly couldn't understand the reasons for my condition, others rallied around me, and showed me the meaning of true friendship. They would take the time out of their busy lives to talk to me, just to make sure I was all right. At times, I would literally throw a ton of shit at them.

People who didn't understand what I was going through would have turned their backs on me after these little temper tantrums, panic attacks, whatever they are. But these friends, these true friends, after having the proverbial ton thrown at them, would come back to me moments later, telling me they understood why I said those things, and that they would be there for me, to help me through my difficult times.

Metric or imperial?

Archived