Is there room for another wrestling Magazine?

ewfederation

I've been thinking of starting up a new wrestling magazine, but wanted to know from readers of the UKFF if you believe another publication would be welcome in the UK market?

Having read a lot of posts on the UKFF about people being fed up with FSM & PS, I was wondering what you think could be done differently...

I'd say not. To be honest, with the internet, it's pretty amazing the two of them exist. I got a right boner about doing a little North East one a few years ago (hence my user name), but realised quick sharp it was fucking daft for about eighty reasons and axed it.

Also, I'd say the general pulse of the whinging is not "Why can't we have a new magazine" and is rather "why is the editor of the established magazine such an anal cunt with dated opinions?" and/or "why the fuck does this one look like it was made with Microsoft Publisher and why has nobody checked the spellings?"

I'd say not. To be honest, with the internet, it's pretty amazing the two of them exist. I got a right boner about doing a little North East one a few years ago (hence my user name), but realised quick sharp it was fucking daft for about eighty reasons and axed it.

Also, I'd say the general pulse of the whinging is not "Why can't we have a new magazine" and is rather "why is the editor of the established magazine such an anal cunt with dated opinions?" and/or "why the fuck does this one look like it was made with Microsoft Publisher and why has nobody checked the spellings?"

NEWM, you are a marvel.

If you did one based entirely on the years 1989-1997 I'd buy it. Maybe. If you included an early 90s footballer section and a proper random photo of the month ( not the shite one PS does) of someone like Mark Crossley I'd definitely buy it. Probably.

Good points here, but people could get their information about anything from the internet, yet magazines (not just wrestling ones) still sell. I think people like collecting publications, enjoying reading something that they can hold in their hand and are still interested in reading opinions and columns in magazines.

I do however believe that if a new wrestling magazine were to come onto the scene then it would have to be completely different to those out there.

Good points here, but people could get their information about anything from the internet, yet magazines (not just wrestling ones) still sell. I think people like collecting publications, enjoying reading something that they can hold in their hand and are still interested in reading opinions and columns in magazines.

That would hold more weight if print wasn't a dying medium. The number of "I want something I can hold in my hand" luddites ever dwindles, as we're all finding how hard it is to get rid of stacks of old magazines and VHS tapes (and cassettes of TalkSport). PowerSlam has had to cut down its issues per year because people aren't buying. If you want someone moaning about how shit the continuity is or how Cena can't do an STF, there's a million websites where you can read that for the price of a few annoying popups.

I do however believe that if a new wrestling magazine were to come onto the scene then it would have to be completely different to those out there.

I agree. And I'd be interested in a magazine that was independent and didn't think think ROH and Japan are the be-all and end-all of wrestling (and ideally, wouldn't waste pages on them). But I couldn't see it doing well because most people who aren't anti-WWE would probably just prefer WWE magazine. It's got better photos and more interviews and exclusive content than any glorified fanzine could have. If you're anti-WWE or pro-flippyworkrateandheaddrops~, PowerSlam and FSM have you covered. I don't think there's an audience for another wrestling magazine on the stands, to be honest. FSM isn't even that anti-WWE anymore, is it? Ultimately, the magazine I'd want is one that just covers mainstream wrestling (bar maybe one or two pages max covering the minor leagues and foreign territories) and does so without whinging about Cena or Hogan on every page. It'll never happen.

The only reason the two at the moment are barely hanging on is they've got a lot of customers who buy them out of habit, I think. And in fairness, by all accounts, FSM has turned around quality-wise lately.

I've been thinking of starting up a new wrestling magazine, but wanted to know from readers of the UKFF if you believe another publication would be welcome in the UK market?

Maybe. It would have to be completely different from the existing ones though. PowerSlam is so well established it would be near impossible to compete with it if anyone is offering the same thing, others have tried and from what I understand it didn't really work out. Definitely agree a lot of it is force of habit from existing customers but still those people, even if they don't enjoy it as much anymore, are still buying it from that force of habit. They aren't going to then spend money on something else that does the same thing especially when it isn't the established brand.

I like the thought of something like bumclass' idea. I imagine the audience would be very small however.

Having read a lot of posts on the UKFF about people being fed up with FSM & PS, I was wondering what you think could be done differently...

Don't know about that bit. I thought the weekly moaning about PowerSlam was more a mid-2000s thing? Thought the complaints about FSM had died down as well.

Haven't read a recent issue of either for a while, FWIW (have read some PS from the last few years that I hadn't read before that I bought this summer). Do have several a massive piles of wrestling magazines I need to get back to reading my way through.

It's difficult to get people to part with their money whenever you can get a similar service for free, I agree.

If you want someone moaning about how shit the continuity is or how Cena can't do an STF, there's a million websites where you can read that for the price of a few annoying popups.

Completely agree, with this and its a very interesting point that you bring up. People can get this anywhere and seem to be bored of hearing about negatives of the wrestling industry.

Personally I like the way WWE Magazine is set out, very fun magazine which has some interesting concepts.

• Paid Members

Been considering an eZine for a while - not sure if anyone ever had a mag called Shooting Star Press or not, but that's my name choice. I know a lot of talented, interesting, intelligent wrestling fans, and they should be writing shit for posterity. Also, I would have a mong corner.

I can't write for shite (I can rant endlessly on any subject, but it's not coherent at all), but I work in publishing, and this would be a chance to have some fun, sell some ads (maybe), and allow an outlet where morons are strictly segregated.

Been considering an eZine for a while - not sure if anyone ever had a mag called Shooting Star Press or not, but that's my name choice. I know a lot of talented, interesting, intelligent wrestling fans, and they should be writing shit for posterity. Also, I would have a mong corner.

I can't write for shite (I can rant endlessly on any subject, but it's not coherent at all), but I work in publishing, and this would be a chance to have some fun, sell some ads (maybe), and allow an outlet where morons are strictly segregated.

As bad as a lot of people think Powerslam is it would be very hard to take on them and FSM if you wanted to cover the same area. Not least as they already have the distro in place and you'd have to convince places like Tesco and Smiths that they should stock another wrestling title.

For me there's 2 routes to take, one would be a pro quality e-zine which would gauge interest. If that took off you could either start charging for it or bring out a hard copy.

The other option would be to go for something more niche. If you had a lot of Brit Wres coverage for example that would be offering something different and you could possible get round problems of distribution by having it sold by various promotions (there's a UK Ice Hockey magazine that works with that model pretty successfully.)

• Paid Members

Are you asking if there ever was a mag/fanzine type thing called shooting star press? If so, yeah there was, it was something Phil austin and Alex Shane were pimping a few years back.

In response to the OP, I think its possible certainly, but would absolutely have to offer something different, so not news because it'll be dated by the time its published, but maybe interviews, columns, reviews of old ppvs or soon to be released ppvs/dvds, but done in a different style to FSM or Powerslam. Perhaps starting out as an Ezine, and giving the option of going into print if there is a demand for it would work quite well!

Archived