Public Sector Strikes On Nov 30th - Will You Be Taking Part?

David

For those not up to speed on developments, this article from The Guardian should provide the information needed;

Trade unions have called a collective day of strike action on 30 November, warning the government that Britain faces the "biggest mobilisation in a generation" unless ministers rethink "hugely damaging" changes to public sector pension schemes.

Up to 3 million public sector workers, including nurses, teachers and careworkers, are expected to take part in industrial action, with at least 14 unions committed to strikes over government pension reforms.

The TUC general secretary, Brendan Barber, said: "The intention will be to take the call for pensions justice for both public and private sector workers to every corner of the land on that day in the biggest trade union mobilisation in a generation."

Barber confirmed that the 24-hour walkout

I'm a teacher, and I have voted in favour of the action. I'm relatively young in my career (I'm only 25) and the pension cuts will cost me in excess of HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of pounds effectively, should I work until I'm 65, say. That and teaching salaries are already way behind comparable professionals, and I'm out on Nov. 30.

• Paid Members

I work in the public sector and will absolutely not be endorsing these strikes in any way.

I find it preposterous to claim that pensions are being "attacked" when they are so generous in comparison to the private sector's. It doesn't happen elsewhere that the employer doubles the employee's own contributions (indeed, only 35% of private-sector workers have pension plans in the first place, compared with 85% of their public-sector peers), yet bringing them closer to 50/50 is treated as an inhumane smash 'n' grab.

Are teachers mistreated when their contributions of 6.4% are topped up by the State by 14.1%? Civil servants (usual contribution by the employee of 1.5-3.5%, beefed up by payments by the State of 19%)? Private-sector firms tend to pay 4%, notwithstanding the fact that their employees are now paid less than their fellow workers in the public sector, so the customary justification of nicer pensions compensating for lower wages doesn't hold up anymore.

Striking because of this is indicative of unreasonable self-interest and the application of mob rule. I'll be happy to take responsibility for my own pension at 50:50, instead of expecting taxpayers to put an excessive amount in the pot for me on pain of me and my friends ganging up and disrupting their lives otherwise.

I'm a teacher, and I have voted in favour of the action. I'm relatively young in my career (I'm only 25) and the pension cuts will cost me in excess of HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of pounds effectively, should I work until I'm 65, say. That and teaching salaries are already way behind comparable professionals, and I'm out on Nov. 30.

Well said! Best of luck on the 30th!

Archived