It's giant spoiler for the 11/14 Raw. Again.

PowerButchi

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You made the argument that Foley coming back might not have an impact because the kids won't know who he is.

Then your argument FOR the times Piper came back is that the parents know who he is.

So what are we saying? Foley's return will be in a building full of kids? Is he doing a paedo gimmick now?

"Little kiddies .. it's .. MR COCKO!"

No when Piper's on it's a big deal, the announcers talk him up, the Hall of Famer, Piper's Pit, the big speech they give everytime he turns up. The kids know this is a big deal, this is someone we should pay attention to and the parents do know him and like him. I daresay WWE Magazine has featured articles on him regularly due to him being a Hall of Famer. Mick Foley on the other hand, the only people who are gonna get up and cheer for him are people that like him, even the ones that know him at best are just gonna stand up just to see him. He was an announcer on Smackdown, a B show that hardly anyone watches and when he was on his way out the door there was no big fuss made for him. I'm not dissing Mick Foley in anyway i'm just saying that Mick's latter years in WWE were not his best and WWE never really bothered with him. He wasn't a big part of the show he was just....there. A shell of the man he used to be but they did the same with Ric Flair in 2008, forcing the poor man out in a retirement storyline. Having said that at least Ric could still work, Foley wasn't able to do much in the ring and when he comes back he ain't gonna be able to do much apart from talk. That is the mans talent, talking and to a lesser extent taking a beating although the beatings.......if he takes any, will not be the ones he is famous for. I'm sad thinking about it, seeing Mick all out of shape, getting beat up as he sits in the corner of the ring making weird noises trying to sell the punches and kicks, it's not gonna be a pretty sight. Even i'll be cheering the babyfaces!

some crusty footage of a big spot that has since been duplicated/bettered a million times but we have to respect the tradition etc etc etc

Thats interesting, IMO I don't think that Foley stunt off the cell has ever been topped in terms of jaw-dropping "good god he's been broken in half". In fact if anything, I thought it raised the bar so high that whatever stunt came after that just paled in comparison and i think it still stands up today as the biggest stunt in a wrestling match.

• Paid Members

They should never try to top it, since it was a ridiculous stunt that they shouldn't have done anyway. He could have smashed his head off those monitors or cracked his neck off the floor or anything. It shouldn't be a case of anyone topping it. Wrestling doesn't need stuff like that in it anyway.

They should never try to top it, since it was a ridiculous stunt that they shouldn't have done anyway. He could have smashed his head off those monitors or cracked his neck off the floor or anything. It shouldn't be a case of anyone topping it. Wrestling doesn't need stuff like that in it anyway.

Unless it's a match between a fat fella and a big bloke with a broken foot. I agree in principle and definitely agree on never attempting to top it, but sometimes there's nothing like a big bump to get you interested in a match, provided it fits within the context.

• Paid Members

Don't get me wrong, I was the first one buying that Three Faces of Foley video with my finger on the rewind button. I still remember all of us at school banging on about it like it was Steamboat vs Flair. But it not only stands up today, it looks even more dangerous. The second bump is even worse considering they were still using the old solid WWF ring that NBC advised them to use in 1986, so you couldn't see it bouncing and it wouldn't look fake.

Agreed. Which is why it will stand forever as a great example of a one-time bump that pretty much made a man's career. It can be painted any other way Foley might like, but I seriously doubt we'd have been seeing Mrs Foley's Baby Boy winning the big one if he hadn't flown through the announce table that night.

Also in fairness, the second one wasn't intended to be what it became. He was only supposed to get chokeslammed on the roof, not through it.

Also in fairness, the second one wasn't intended to be what it became. He was only supposed to get chokeslammed on the roof, not through it.

That's not true, is it? I know the chair wasn't meant to fall through and smash his face, but I'm fairly sure he was meant to go through the cell.

• Paid Members
some crusty footage of a big spot that has since been duplicated/bettered a million times but we have to respect the tradition etc etc etc

Thats interesting, IMO I don't think that Foley stunt off the cell has ever been topped in terms of jaw-dropping "good god he's been broken in half". In fact if anything, I thought it raised the bar so high that whatever stunt came after that just paled in comparison and i think it still stands up today as the biggest stunt in a wrestling match.

Now I

• Paid Members

That's not true, is it? I know the chair wasn't meant to fall through and smash his face, but I'm fairly sure he was meant to go through the cell.

I've always been led to believe the falling through the cell spot wasn't planned, and it was just meant to be a chokeslam on top of it. Can't remember where I read this though. It wasn't his book, was it?

I'm pretty sure it was planned. In his book he says that if he had taken the choke slam properly (he didn't leave his feet), then he would have rotated too much and landed square on his head. As it was, Taker basically pushed him over and he fell through the cage. The chair came after him and knocked out his teeth.

• Paid Members

Both bumps were 100% planned. You only just have to look at the way Foley bumped for the chokeslam. The cage was already coming away while they were walking on it in the first 30 seconds of the match. They would never try a chokeslam spot with cage held together with plastic clips if they didn't want him to go through it. They cage was specially built for it to make Foley fall through it. Its the only reason he was on the top of the cell for a second time. It would have looked a bit anti-climactic after the first bump, if they just climbed back down when they went up again.

Archived