Sky or Virgin Media

MMA_Dan

Ok so here's the deal

I'm moving into my own house for the first time at the end of November and i'm looking into these two companies to provide a tv/broadband/phone package. I'll need espn for my ufc coverage so that's gonna be pretty important, broadband i couldn't care less as long as the usage isn't restricted and I probably wont use the phone line much at all. the packages I'm looking at are of similar price.

virgin..XL TV package..(this includes a hd tivo box with quite a few hd channels inc espn) ....10mb broadband....medium phone package(unlimited weekend calls)

It depends what you use & watch to be honest.

I was with Sky for years, but have switched to Virgin. Their internet is streets ahead of anything Sky can offer, plus I'm not big on the English premiership or WWE so I don't have Sky Sports. I watch the UFC & the SPL, so getting ESPN for free with Virgin suits me down to the ground.

Also, they gave me a Tivo box for free, which I love.

I went from Virgin to Sky. I do prefer Sky. Just easier to navigate, no lag, the box is better and nicer looking (if you're bothered about that sort of thing) and the customer service is better. David is right about the broadband though, go with Virgin on that. That's the only thing I have continued with (well, the phone line too).

The general rule of thumb to go by is, if you're a fan of ESPN (which, by your name there I assume you are), decent broadband and want Tivo then Virgin is your best bet.

If your a fan of Sky Sports/Sky Movies and don't mind the internet speeds of Sky, then go with them.

Thanks, by the comments so far virgin sounds the best for me. I'm not really a sports fan apart from mma and I've had it with wwe so i wont be buying the sky sports channels. To keep costs reasonable i wouldn't be buying the movie package either.

I would however like the option to buy the odd boxing PPV every few months, is this relatively straight forward through virgin?

Thanks, by the comments so far virgin sounds the best for me. I'm not really a sports fan apart from mma and I've had it with wwe so i wont be buying and sky sports channels. To keep costs reasonable i wouldn't be buying the movie package either.

I would however like the option to buy the odd boxing PPV every few months, is this relatively straight forward through virgin?

Aye, the only issue at present is that we don't have Box Nation yet. I've been told we'll have that soon enough though.

• Paid Members

I had Virgin for a while a didnt like it. However, as i understand, they have improved since. I'm with Sky now and love it. For me it's a bit more seamless.

For me I wanted to get the cheapest possible package. With Sky if you take their line rental (as opposed to BT''s) you get free evening and weekend calls, plus for

I have had sky for the last year, and they've been great. Customer services was pretty good and professional, my selection of channels were perfect for me, and their internet package has been really good.

Overall Im very impressed with them.

Plus if you order a standard box, they will give you a HD box anyway. Just so your know ;)

• 10 months later...

Has anyone being having issues with their Virgin Media superhub? Mines keeps dropping my iPhone and Xbox, forcing me to restart the modem. This fixes it for a while then the same thing happens again maybe five or six hours later.

Anyone else getting the same problem?

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Sky keep putting their prices up to, they're all at it. We got a letter recently telling us that prices were going up as of December.

I'm very happy with Sky, but I keep meaning to give them a call and run the 'I'd like to end my contract' spiel, just to see if they will offer me any reductions. From what I hear, some people get very good results by pulling that stunt. Probably worth a go with Virgin too.

Sky keep putting their prices up to, they're all at it. We got a letter recently telling us that prices were going up as of December.

I'm very happy with Sky, but I keep meaning to give them a call and run the 'I'd like to end my contract' spiel, just to see if they will offer me any reductions. From what I hear, some people get very good results by pulling that stunt. Probably worth a go with Virgin too.

The problem is, Sky can offer discounts on their sports & movies packages, whilst Virgin simply can't. I've never had the kind of package offers from Virgin that I've had during my time with Sky. I think it's time to move on.

Archived