Kent Walton gets in WON Hall of Fame!

Famous Mortimer

Dave Meltzer and the Wrestling Observer newsletter almost begrudgingly put Kent Walton, my favourite pro wres commentator of all time, in the Hall of Fame this time.

UKFF's own John Lister wrote the bio for him, which leads me to believe there's already a thread about it here, but I searched the first two pages and couldn't find it (the issue came out yesterday). So apologies, I'm not much of a UKFFer any more.

Anyway, it's about time! And Mick McManus was three votes short, so he may well get in next year.

Dave Meltzer and the Wrestling Observer newsletter almost begrudgingly put Kent Walton, my favourite pro wres commentator of all time, in the Hall of Fame this time.

Why do you say "begrudgingly"?

I think FM is likely one of the people who thinks Dave omits any Brits / Euros from being pushed, when in reality it's just that the amount of Brits who deserve to get in is less than 7.

UKFF's own John Lister wrote the bio for him, which leads me to believe there's already a thread about it here, but I searched the first two pages and couldn't find it (the issue came out yesterday). So apologies, I'm not much of a UKFFer any more.

Anyway, it's about time! And Mick McManus was three votes short, so he may well get in next year.

Well deserved

Why do you say "begrudgingly"?

I think FM is likely one of the people who thinks Dave omits any Brits / Euros from being pushed, when in reality it's just that the amount of Brits who deserve to get in is less than 7.

Whatever your opinion may be, up to this year the only person who got in based on his work in the UK was Bert Assirati, who was only in because Lou Thesz said he was a great worker. He's said many many times that because British shows never drew big houses, that none of them deserved to get in, and compared Big Daddy (an undoubtedly awful worker, but a legend up there with Hogan and Santo in their respective cultures) to some Georgia upper-mid-carder. There's no doubt he's got a bias against the UK, and aside from Lister's bio he barely mentioned Walton at all, while Williams and Iaukea got glowing writeups.

There may well be less than 7 British folk who deserve to get in, but it's certainly more than the 1 who currently is in there.

compared Big Daddy (an undoubtedly awful worker, but a legend up there with Hogan and Santo in their respective cultures) to some Georgia upper-mid-carder

I seem to recall Meltzer making a similar comment about Dave Finlay within the past few years as well.

I'm not suggesting that Finlay was as culturally significant in the UK as Big Daddy or McManus. However he was arguably the top heel and one of the best workers in Europe for a significant number of years.

There has never been a culture of arena shows historically in the UK so it is difficult to use this as a criteria of whether someone should be in a HOF or not. You have to take into account the way wrestling has been promoted in each country to be able to establish whether someone is worthy of inclusion or not.

Meltzer said on his audio show that he never voted for him. Meltzer hasn't given him any mention at all really. He's never been one for British wrestling anyway. Especially local hero announcers that he feels nobody else can relate to. He hates Stampedes Ed Whalen for example.

Well, Ed Whalen was pretty terrible, I'd say Meltz is spot on there.

Archived