VPW wrestling Victoria Halls Hanley

dannycoll

Stoke used to be a hot bed of old school British wrestling & it used to be one of All Stars main venues.

I would have thought that putting "The Return of 'SuperMan' Dave 'Fit' Finlay" on a poster would have sold a lot more tickets then that!!

Perhaps I'm wrong and British Wrestling really is in trouble, I'm suprised that Brian Dixon didn't snap him up though.

• Paid Members
Nah not in trouble, I imagine there were lots of reasons the show didnt draw a huge crowd, being on a Tuesday night won't have helped for a start!

It's half term. It should have helped.

It would of helped a bit, but i'd imagine most people shcedule stuff the same way, (for example parents would still be at work in some cases), so Being on a friday/saturday would of helped waaaaay more.

Stoke used to be a hot bed of old school British wrestling & it used to be one of All Stars main venues.

I would have thought that putting "The Return of 'SuperMan' Dave 'Fit' Finlay" on a poster would have sold a lot more tickets then that!!

Perhaps I'm wrong and British Wrestling really is in trouble, I'm suprised that Brian Dixon didn't snap him up though.

To be fair Allstar drew good houses at Gravesend and Skeggy wednesday nite so there is two sides to the coin.

I think promotion is the key, they wouldn't be the first company to think that just by promoting in a previously established All Star venue that crowds will come running.

In addition VPW have the added handicap that even smart fans may be dubious about whether Finlay would be appearing due to the number of previously advertised names that have not appeared or pulled out at last minute.

I would imagine that Finlay, quite rightly, is probably asking for a premium due to his recent WWE exposure. Hopefully, as time goes on, he will be able to do a Dixon tour as would be great to see him against the likes of Mason, Dynamite, Zebra, etc.

Nah not in trouble, I imagine there were lots of reasons the show didnt draw a huge crowd, being on a Tuesday night won't have helped for a start!

It would of helped a bit, but i'd imagine most people shcedule stuff the same way, (for example parents would still be at work in some cases), so Being on a friday/saturday would of helped waaaaay more.

Yup, spot on!

Yup, spot on!

Not really spot on. As Knightmare mentioned, All Star got good crowds during the week, and drew poorly Friday night. From what I understand LDN's half term tour drew a crowd of approx 2000 over the week. There's not really a set formula, but running the show on Tuesday night is no excuse or reason for a poor crowd.

Ive been going to Stoke for years and the last few dixon shos drew less the 100 ppl,. the vpw show drew around 200 i'd say, but certainly the most ppl i have seen in that venue in the last 2 years!

I met Finlay at the end of the night and he said VPW were the way forward and if more ppl did things the same way wrestling would be in a better place!

Tony knox the photographer was there too saying the same thing

• Paid Members
Ive been going to Stoke for years and the last few dixon shos drew less the 100 ppl,. the vpw show drew around 200 i'd say, but certainly the most ppl i have seen in that venue in the last 2 years!

I met Finlay at the end of the night and he said VPW were the way forward and if more ppl did things the same way wrestling would be in a better place!

Tony knox the photographer was there too saying the same thing

Well I went to the Show in Portsmouth and have to say that down there they really have there shit together.

At least 400 fans who were noisy all night , great wrestlingh , great crowd , gret set up and a lot of money being spent - I would say a success in every single way !

I went to the wrestling for thirty plus years but in the last few years yes the crowds have declined at hanley but it is anything to due with the current financial climate>. The reason been that the audience members who decided to walk away were sick to death of seeing for at least two seasons 2 extreme dean versus Robbie dynamite at the top of the bill. But then again 2 extreme dean accoding to Brian Dixons fan of the year Keith said anything will do for hanley because they dont appreciate talent. That is wrong we do appreciate talent but not when it was the same old faces rammed down are throats month after month. But then again we only got at hanley what keith from liverpool said we deserved. Who we all thought he was choosing the bills.

In regards to the vpw show the reason been i live local and the advertising for the show was very poor. It was as though they couldnt be bothered they should have pushed it more in thelocal paper. But the only problem is with all the rubbish that dixon's fed the crowd over the years they would only half believe it. Which was ashame because vpw are really trying there best and i think hanley does need some new blood in promoting there shows.

Archived