UKFF TOP 50 Wrestlers ... EVER!

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Let's not diss the STOMP figures. I bought the Pillman one, only because there wasn't a "proper" Jakks figure of him at the time.

Great work Ian, although it pains me to point out Tito never wrestled Matt Borne on a 'Mania. Borne did however get pinned by Ricky Steamboat at the first WrestleMania. As a matter of fact, Tito is an answer to a great trivia question, in that he was the winner of the first match in WrestleMania history, making The Executioner submit to the figure-four.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's not diss the STOMP figures. I bought the Pillman one, only because there wasn't a "proper" Jakks figure of him at the time.

From where??? Apart from about four figures a year, I don't remember Jakks figures being in shops up until mid-99, when I got Marc Mero and Sable from STOMP series 3 (the space one) at Toys R Us... And I only got them because they didn't have any other wrestling figures! Were Toys R Us selling Jakks WWF figures for years and I didn't notice?

• Paid Members

Honestly I can't remember... there is a pretty good chance my mate brought it back from Florida with him, along with Warrior, Bulldog and a few other proper Jakks. There is an equal chance I got him from this tiny bloke's shop in a little precinct called the Crown Centre in the town I was at college in, he was constantly importing the Jakks figures as well as the mini ring & figures, Bend Ems and other crap, then charging way over the odds for them. He always promised he had a few boxes of green card Hasbros coming "on a boat" within a few weeks, but they never came.

• Paid Members

46. Les Kellet

image020.jpg

Prime Years: 1950s-1970s (I'd imagine)

Info: Known as a complete bastard by his peers, old Les still remains a favourite to this day for his comical presence and exploits in wrestling rings across the UK. I personally never saw much of him, but have to admit my fondness for one of the matches he had with Mr Rottweiler from Bottom, which appears on a DVD I bought from Parklane Market. He seemed to make an impression on people who seen him. My Dad always goes on about him as well. Even going so far as to lie to strengthen his argument with musings such as "Les Kellet was a bit like them Hardy Boys you lot are into". In the 60s he was nominated for the Sports Personality of the Year Award. He was also hard as nails and a feared man in the dressing room. Once got bit by a pig and got a fellow wrestler to stamp the puss out of his inflated hand. Wrestlers such as Colt Cabana, Chris Hero and Chad Collyer have sighted Kellet as an influence, with Desmond Wolfe even taking his spring, rope move on as a part of his repertoire. He's definitely worth checking out. In a current era where there's a million comedy matches that expose wrestling as a bit of a piss take, back then Kellet would get proper belly laughs from the seated crowd instead of smart arse chants and "this is awesome" shit you see today. Mad to see. He's dead now :(

Did he have shit on the market?: Don't think so, but there is some brilliant stories about him in this class book by Simon Garfield.

9780571236763.JPG

They Said: "Funniest wrestler ever who could actually wrestle."

45. Jimmy Valiant

Jimmy_Valiant_21.jpg

Prime Years: 1960s-1980s

Info: The Boogie Woogie Man was a big star in Memphis, daddy, and he had the rap down as good as anyone I've ever seen. It just flowed from his mouth. Charismatic as fuck, and a look which would make the average person pull muscles in their necks when he walked past. Likes to wank while women shit on glass coffee tables. He wrestled for all the big ones, from Memphis, to Crockett to the WWWF. His finest hour came singing the Jimmy Hart penned

(click the link, its amazing). Its Handsome Jimmy at his best. The song got major airplay in the Memphis and Tennessee area. These days, he's a born again Christian and retired in 2005. He still pops up every now and again, with that tattooed head.

Did he have shit on the market?: He's got a figure or two out on the market. You can buy his homemade t-shirts at gimmick tables across the south of the United States. He's also a star of the excellent Memphis Heat documentary. Just missed out on being the coolest man onscreen, when Jackie Fargo popped up.

HANDSOME%20JIMMY%20VALIANT%2012.jpgMemphisHeat-400x495.jpg

They Said: "Watched Memphis Heat, and he's my new hero. Captures what wrestling is about."

44. Mo

01.jpg

Prime Years: 1993-1995

Info: Mo and his partner Mable were the WWF's original rapping maestros. Brought in after the success of the WrestleMania Album, Simon Cowell showed his lack of musical knowledge by choosing not to release a spin off album featuring the beats of the lyrical gangstas that were Oscar, Mable and Mo. The MOM were a popular midcard act (rapping their way through PPV after PPV with songs such as "The Rumble is Coming"), until Mo went down with a knee injury and Mable tried his hand at solo stardom. When Mo returned, the pair turned heel, destroying the Smoking Gunns and poor Oscar of all people. Mable won the King of the Ring in 1995, with no small help from the soon to be named Sir Mo. Mo took on the role of the new evil version of Oscar, listing off the demands that the new King wanted to happen in the WWF and how they intended to make it happen. King Mable would pop in and out of the WWF for years and years. Mo disappeared. He now drives a truck and is still the thinnest member of the Men on a Mission, even though he's gained about 5 stone.

Did he have shit on the market?: I cant find a thing, but you can create him on Smackdown vs Raw, if you really want to step inside the purple boots of Sir Mo.

r8cmt0.jpg

They Said: "Good mouth piece. Sold the sharpshooter from Owen Hart well"

43. Daniel Bryan

Daniel-Bryan-vs.-Ted-DiBiase-United-States-Championship-Match-6-271x380.jpg

Prime Years:2003-present

Info: Trained by Shawn Michaels, developed by William Regal, excelled on the Indy scene, worked in Japan, Money in the Bank winner, gave into the demands of 6 year old Mackems at the Sunderland Empire by doing a 619 because he had a mask on, Daniel Bryan has done a lot in his short career. Highly rated, not only by the Ring of Honor crowd, but by anyone who witnesses how good he can be in the right situation. A very good in-ring performer, who's likable as well. Had blinders with the likes of the Miz and John Morrison and looked like a big star in the main event of SummerSlam 2010. Currently wrestling on Smackdown and NXT. Has recently added the Regal stretch to his move set, which he only uses when William Regal is at ring side to call his matches (to which Regal seemed legit touched by it). Even though his stock is continuing to spiral only the one direction, his position in the company is surely safe.

Did he have shit on the market?: He does. He should have a few stuff out on the WWE Shop website, if you go over there and have a look. He also has a Mattel figure where he looks like Matthew from Sooty and Co.

W02926Cpi.jpgwwe-daniel-bryan-basic-series-11-action-figure-3259-p.jpg

They Said:"That's right. I'm voting for the now D-Bry. Despite what people say I have seen Danielson in all scenarios and at different points and he has truly excelled as one of the best all round wrestlers and arguably the last of the journeymen. Sought after all over the world with good reason, though his WWE run has pittered into near nonexistance, he is still one of the best they have on there books. His place on WWE is less and less due to skill (as he's proven) and more to do with common opinion of the brass."

42. Irwin R Schyster

IRS003.jpg

Prime Years: 1984-1995

Info:Started off teaming with his brother-in-law Barry Windham in the WWF. Was the inspiration behind the Real American song, and was set to originally use the theme song. Couldn't be arsed with the road scheduled so left soon after dropping the WWF tag belts at the first WrestleMania. Joined up with Rick Steiner and Kevin Sullivan as a member of the Varsity Club. They even reunited this group in 1999 under the Russo era WCW. Rotunda formed the York Foundation with Alexandra York. The Yorks were a fine outfit, but Rotunda had other ideas, because he resurfaced in the WWF in 1991 as a taxman. This is where he's most known for. Many a night was spent laughing at the foot on the tie spot. Irwin formed Money Inc with Ted DiBiase and held the tag titles a few times. IRS had some belters with the likes of Randy Savage, 123 Kid, Razor Ramon and Davey Boy Smith. Irwin was ringside during the main event of the 1995 WrestleMania match as well. In 95/96 he returned to WCW as Wallstreet yet again. He accepted his old pal Ted DiBiase's offer to join the New World Order. Irwin represented both the US and the Japanese version of the group and handled the taxes, I imagine. He still works for the WWE as a road agent and pops up every now and again when someone needs a good laugh. He has children. Fat children.

Did he have shit on the market?:Yes. Irwin turned up in games such as Super WrestleMania, Steel Cage Challenge and games from that era. Even though he had no theme music in real life, they always gave him the sound of an old till cashing up. He also had a Habro on the shelves as well.

1014.jpg002.jpg

They Said:"IRS - Again, great work ethic but also had a great look. Top gimmick."

41.The Great Muta

l.jpg

Prime Years:1985-2003

Info: I legit thought Muta was the son of the Great Kabuki for years because of the hype job WCW put on it. Turned up on our TV screens for the first time along with the evil one, Gary Hart. And Muta wrestled the lot. Luger, Flair, Arn, Sting etc. He even won the World Television title from the Stinger. Wrestled in the Starrcade Round Robin tournament, where he was everyones whipping boy (finishing bottom of the table), although he still put a shift in. Especially against Flair and Sting. For New Japan, teamed with the Hulkster to take on Road Warrior Hawk and someone who must have borrowed Animal's shoulder pads and painted them green. He also wrestled Hogan, but didn't get the job done, falling to the Axe BOMBAHHH!~ The beating Hogan delivered, and the chemistry the two had might have been the reason to why Muta would return to the United States and shockingly turn on Sonny Onoo and join the ranks of the nWo some years later. We'd see the 'Great One' again in WCW, but this time teaming with Vampiro, the KISS Demon and the Insane Clown Posse. As every time he turned up in the US, he wanted a piece of Sting's arse, to which he was 9 times out of 10 left on the ground with Shaggy 2 Dope holding frozen peas on his swollen forehead. Last time I heard of him, he was booked to appear for 1PW (insert joke here).

Did he have shit on the market?: He probably has all kinds of shit out, that I'm not aware of, but on my travels I did spot these bobbleheads, which look fun. Especially if you have a subbuteo pitch, you could have a little 5-a-side with them. If you really want to support the Great Muta, go and buy an nWo shirt on ebay.

wrestlers.jpgnwo24.jpg

They Said:"I don't care what anyone says this guy is top 5 of the past 25 years. I loved late 80's-early 90's heel Muta, mid 90's babyface Mutoh, AND post 2000 babyface cross wizard Mutoh.He captivated me back when I first saw him in the NWA as The Great Muta, and then when I started watching him in Japan, I saw his work as Keiji Mutoh too. I started loving Muta when I was around six / seven years old and I still love him to this day. He is broken now like most puroresu stars of his generation but he still has the psychology and charisma to make his matches worth watching"

40. The Great Khali

the-great-khali-450x347.jpg

Prime Years: 2006-present

Info: I'm sure we all first saw Khali in the Longest Yard film. Theatres across the world were pissing themselves at the "he was like, 'ah my balls'" line near the end of the film. He had some presence onscreen. Must have been one of the reasons the WWE brought him in. Burst onto the scene giving the Undertaker a good kicking. He actually won the World Heavyweight title as well, which was incredible. He might not be able to do much, but he's fucking funny. Surely everyone has a place in their heart for the Great Khali. People have been calling for him to get the sack for so long now, it will actually be sad when he eventually does get the chop. Check out his matches with John Cena and Triple H.

Did he have shit on the market?: He has a load of figures out, but he comes free with HIS own playset, the Punjabi Prison match. He has the Mattel figure out as well. You can also check him out on the Longest Yard DVD, where the cast absolutely LOVE him.

ring_15_moc.jpge54784b3-b83d-4ea2-91c7-a2c2e09b87ca.jpgThe-longest-yard.jpgsmackdown-countdown-2006-the-great-khali-20061026040756011_640w.jpg

They Said: "Fuck it, nobody else will vote for him, and I think he's absolutely class. When he won that vacant World Title and paraded it upside down, I fell in love. Has had some really choice matches over the years too. Let the haters hate."

39. Duane Gill

Duane_Gill_25.jpg

Prime Years:1991-1999

Info: If you were ever a fan of WWF Superstars or Wrestling Challenge, you'd see Duane Gill pop up every where. And usually, he'd be taken the nastiest looking bumps you could imagine. Mable sat on him from the second rope, Scott Steiner threw him about like a stuffed giraffe etc. Nobody held back when they saw Gill's name on the blackboard next to their name. Years later, when Mankind had a mystery opponent at Survivor Series 98, the person got a huge introduction. Chants of "HBK" lit up the arena. Then out trotted Duane Gill, complete with pyro (which he almost shit himself with) and a titan tron video of him getting his head kicked in. Getting motivated was never a hard thing for him though, since he was back on his feet soon after to defeat Christian for the Light Heavyweight title. A belt he'd hold for 15 months. As a member of the JOB Squad, he decided a change of image might have been in order to progress in the Attitude era. So he became GILLBERG! Gilldberg raised plenty of laughs during that era from everyone apart from Goldberg, who sent the word out that he'd give poor Duane a good hiding if he bumped into him on the road. Gillberg's made a few appearances since then, but is current running a successful wrestling school, which has gained praise for how he runs it and for the respect he has gained from his peers and his employers over the years.

Did he have shit on the market?: Nothing I can find, anyway. If this bio has given you the motivation to want to support him, you could check out his wrestling school or buy a JOB Squad t-shirt.

WRE140_display_image.jpg

They Said: "Extemely hard worker and always very trustworthy in the ring (one of the few to ever take the incredible looking Steiner Screwdriver) Took his licks and was consistantly booked as a jobber for his work ethic/ability to take the craziest moves. Great in his later run with the JOB Squad and Gillberg. Now running a reputable school shows his knowledge in the business."

• Paid Members

This list has already far outweighed my expectations. Brilliant. Mo! Plus, whoever that quote is from about Duane Gill could not have put a better case for his inclusion. Some great points there.

Khali and Gillberg? Some folk have been taking the piss with this list!

Khali's a former world champion and all-round class act, and Gillberg was one of the great jobbers of our childhoods and one of the great novelties of the attitude era... But fucking Mo?! Crash Holly best end up top three now, or I'll sulk.

Excellent write-ups though. The previous top 50 threads have been fun, but suffered for just being about people no fucker's ever heard of. This one's great.

This list is excellent. Whilst my favourites are getting in, it's also actually getting me into the likes of Jimmy Valient (who I didn't know much of before I heard the opening strains of 'Son of a Gypsie')

The best list of this kind I've seen on here.

• Paid Members

Re; Les Kellet, that book 'the Wrestling' is an absolutely cracking read which I'd highly reccomend to everybody, regardless of if you know much about the World of Sport era or not. It's fantastic. Pleased to a name like Les Kellet on the list, I did wonder if folks like Cabana had been influenced by some of his comedy stuff. He was adored by the fans and was an effective babyface but outside the ring he was a feared guy who you wouldn't fuck with.

Edit- One of my favourite Gillberg moments is when he nails Shane McMahon with a full on spear, and the crowd goes mental for him like he's literally Goldberg. Then Shane just decks him straight away, that no-selling piece of shit :(

Re; Les Kellet, that book 'the Wrestling' is an absolutely cracking read which I'd highly reccomend to everybody, regardless of if you know much about the World of Sport era or not. It's fantastic.

Agreed. I bought it in 99 or so from Waterstones in Scarborough because I was desperate for another wrestling book. Its the one with the crusty picture of Kendo on the cover. It was a total education for me, but it's now something I love to read fairly regularly. Of course, my favourite bit is still the little section from behind the scenes at IYH in 1995. Strangely a lot of my mates with no interest in wrestling have picked it up from HMV for three quid and talked to me as the token wrestling fan about it after reading. I think it must have picked up some traction with the lad mags saying BIG DADDY LOL or something.

Archived