UKFF TOP 50 Wrestlers ... EVER!

IANdrewDiceClay

I remember seeing a top 20 version of this done on another forum. It was really well compiled. It threw up a few surprises too.

What forum would this happen to have been on, Mr Showtime?

I would say, but I don't know if said forum's initials have been banned around here. There's no way of knowing.

No, you can still say TWCF round here.

Oh, that's good.

It was on "the" TWCF.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember that! It was far better than this shit. Shame it wasn't archived.

If you have 16 or even 8 different guys nominated (and I imagine you do), do it again. It must have been about 5 years ago, so things may have changed over that time.

I remember seeing a top 20 version of this done on another forum. It was really well compiled. It threw up a few surprises too.

Tag teams counted as one vote in that also, although the team members' separate votes were counted towards it and the only two teams to get in were Edge & Christian and The Steiners. If either Hawk or Animal had a stonking singles career as well then they'd have no doubt been there too.

I think Hawk could have had a strong singles career at some point if he hadn't of had the old 'demons'. He had a helluva lot of charisma, great look obviously, could work and a top promo guy as well. Shame that never happened really.

I'm sure this forum has done something similar in the past. There was a nomination phase - much like now - then the 16 wrestlers with the most nominations were put together in a knockout competition where we all voted (I think). IIRC the final was either Hogan/Flair or Hogan/Vince.

It was 32 because the coolest thing about it was that as well as the usual suspects you had guys like Marc Rocco, Johnny Saint, Arn Anderson, Ultimate Warrior and Bobby Heenan in there which was something different. Possibly Harley Race as well, although I suppose he is a 'usual suspect' to a degree.

I'm sure this forum has done something similar in the past. There was a nomination phase - much like now - then the 16 wrestlers with the most nominations were put together in a knockout competition where we all voted (I think). IIRC the final was either Hogan/Flair or Hogan/Vince.

I did that. I think Hogan beat Flair in the final.

I thought it was the other way round but good tournament you ran there.

Sure I still have some of my posts from that although I only got time to participate/discuss stuff in the early rounds and didn't read the rest of it later and it was a really good read. The two things I remember from that are Linus presenting an argument for Jerry Lawler as the greatest draw ever and Heenan getting through to the final sixteen (or was it final eight?)

IIRC the big discussion was on whether Eddie was only doing so well because of sympathy after he got voted over Benoit/Dynamite Kid or someone like that. People were saying the only reason it happened was because he'd just died. which I still disagree with but would be interesting to find out if that opinion had changed.

I remember that! It was far better than this shit. Shame it wasn't archived.

If you have 16 or even 8 different guys nominated (and I imagine you do), do it again. It must have been about 5 years ago, so things may have changed over that time.

Correct. I believe it was 2006 so you are spot on.

I reckon Benoit (for obvious reasons), Angle, Lesnar and the lucha guys (just Hijo Del Santo and Blue Demon, IIRC?) would do worse.

I expect Cena, Batista, Orton and Edge would do better/have some support since I don

• Paid Members

50. New Jack:

newjack_display_image.jpg

Prime Years: 1994-2000

Info: A former bounty hunter (if you believe things like that), New Jack, first came to prominence as a member of the racially charged Gangstas outfit in Smokey Mountain, where they tore up small halls with the Rock n Roll Express as white supremacy groups held signs outside wanting James E Cornette to personally beat Jack and Mustafa with his Tennis racket, until Dey Can Jive No Mow. Jack really came to fame in ECW, where he held the ECW tag titles with fellow Gangsta Mustafa. Once Mustafa was out the picture, New Jack became quite a popular mid-card interference running babyface. Using guitars filled with Johnson's Baby Powder, staple guns and everything else that he could fit in his dust bin, he had a wild seemingly 25 year feud with the Baldies in ECW. I would no doubt be still going on today, if ECW wasn’t a name on Titan Towers wall in 2011. Probably the highlight of New Jacks life was the bump he took off a scaffold with Vic Grimes at Living Dangerously 2000. A stunt so ridiculous, its still a miracle how either of them are still alive. New Jack snapped his ankle, went blind for a few weeks and has head trauma that bothers him to this day. Lady Luck is still pissed off she hasn’t got a thank you card off him. New Jack is currently still doing Indy shows and still wishing he was half as interesting as he thinks he is in shoot interviews.

Did he have shit on the market?: He just caught the boom period, so he had a figure out from ECW's toy deal. They've all gone on record as to say they are still waiting for the royalties even now. Thats about it.

4cc4aa334afcc_180721n.jpg

They Said: "Shagged Terri Runnels. Stabbed an opponent during a match. Beat up an old man on an Indy show. He's been a favourite of mine for many years"

49. Spike Dudley

13.jpg

Prime Years: 1996-2006

Info: An underrated small man, he turned up on our screens as the runt of the Dudley clan and for a long period was known as "the Dudley Boy who wasn't a complete spanner". Little Spike was a favourite to a lot of people back in the late 90s. I had a mate at school who had a GEOCITIES~ fansite dedicated to the little man, all thanks to watching him squash the likes of the One Man Gang and King Mable on DSF. Everyone remembers the brilliant visual of Spike getting throw into the fans and get body surfed to safety. His star grew even more when he turned up in the WWF and as the interference runner for his brothers and then as Molly Holly's love sick little mate. He lasted a full 4 years in the WWE, which was 3 1/2 years longer than anyone expected him to last. He was last seen as "The Boss", telling his brothers what to do on Smackdown, which was decent. He was a victim of the massive firing spree in 2005 when a lot of people fell under the hammer. Still turned up in TNA every blue moon, before retiring last year. He'll probably be back if the price is right.

Did he have shit on the market?: Indeed he did. The demand wasnt there for Spike as much. Rey Mysterio came on the scene, so the kids had found their midget hero, only this one wore a mask and didn't look like the kid from Honey I Blew Up the Kid with a beard.

spike-dudley-548-p.jpg_00154247.jpgwwe-jakks-classic-superstars-spike-dudley-damaged-card--6011-p.jpg

They Said: “The leftfield choice. Really, this should be Mick Foley. I used to fucking love Mick Foley. But the last five years or so have devalued my opinion of him so much that I'm just not fussed about him anymore. Which makes me sad. So, Spike. The least likely guy you'd ever think would succeed in WWE, but for a while there, he sort of did (and it just happened to be the period I was most into wrestling, which is probably a big contributing factor). Had a half-decent relationship angle, took some incredible bumps, increased the Dudleys' longevity for a bit, and was involved in some great moments (TLC2, tearing up Austin's petition). At any other time, I doubt he'd have lasted, but having Paul Heyman on commentary for his first few months did a world of good. Also he shares my birthday, so there's that.”

48. Tito Santana

Santana_display_image.jpg

Prime Years: 1980-1992

Info: Everyone has a role in the promotion, and Tito was as midcard as you could get. In a good way, of course. Tito was always over with the fans, always capable of having a good match and was the token Mexican. So he was always going to be on TV. Had famous matches with Greg Valentine over the Intercontinental title before the cartoon era really kicked in, including a cage match where he booted the cage into The Hammer’s face before dropping to the mat for the victory. When the WWF got really popular, Tito had to settle for tag team action with Rick Martel in Strike Force. They had some good matches with the Hart Foundation (even beating the Harts for the tag team titles), Demolition and the Brain Busters. They even had a excellent Jim Johnston penned theme tune called Girls in Cars, sang by Robbie Dupree. Once Strike Force Exploded, they feuded for a few months. Santana knew his role in the promotion, jumping from one feud to enhance an act to the next. Santana had a almost decade long losing streak at WrestleMania, but what a losing streak it was. Shawn Michaels, The Funks, Matt Bourne all dropped Chicho on the big stage. Tito got chucked out of the WWF in 1993, but claims there were plans to give him a run for the WWF title, which is probably lies, but I‘m sure it makes for a nice story on Christmas Day. He now runs a hair dresses :)

Did he have shit on the market?:Chico's probably got the full set. He had the figures out in several era and he had that nice looking t-shirt out as well.

lpw-09.jpg0409a.jpgwwf-tito.JPG

They Said: “ The perennial midcarder in WWE, but fucked if he wasn't amazing. His matches seemed to just drag you in every single time. The effort in his matches was always amazing, and some of them take ages to build, but they always just suck you in by the end.”

47. Owen Hart

owen-hart_display_image.jpg

Prime Years: 1987-1999

Info:The youngest member of 12 Hart children, we first saw wannabe fireman Owen Hart under a mask on shows such as WWF Superstars and Wrestling Challenge, as the Blue Blazer, a year on from winning the prestigious~ PWI Rookie of the Year for his grafting in Stampede Wrestling. It was his second run in the World Wrestling Federation that he is most fondly remembered for. After teaming with big money players such as Jim Neidhart and Koko B. Ware in those purple baggy trousers and chief bandanas, he started a feud with his brother Bret. After tugging at his Brothers heartstrings to dedicate his career to him so they can win tag team gold, Owen got fed up with his brothers selfish one man show against Pierre Outlette and Jacques Rougeau and kicked his leg out of his leg. It was quite a change of pace during that era to have to family members fighting. Owen scored a massive upset beating Bret clean (which never happened at the best of times, let alone with a midcard act like Owen) in an absolute belter at WrestleMania X. Following this, they again tore it up in a brilliant bloodless cage match. Owen would go on to win many singles and tag team titles over the years, but probably his finest hour came during the Hart Foundation years. The Owen, Davey Boy, Pillman, Neidhart and Bret version of the Harts was a lot of fun to watch, during a really great time to be a wrestling fan. Hart died in 1999, during a stunt went wrong. Never a main eventer in a million years, contrary to the “he was going to get the Triple H push” rumours that inevitably followed his death, but he was a really good hand who would have probably thrived when Jericho, Benoit, Malenko and Guerrero arrived in the promotion soon after.

Did he have shit on the market?: Owen overlaped the shit days of 1993-1996 and was a decent size name during the boom period, so you were always going get stuff in the shops with Owen's face on it. Ironically had more stuff out during the dark days of the 3000 seat venues in Bumblefuck, Connecticut than he does when you can usually cash in on the dead. The last Owen Hart figure has an oxygen tank with him (which would have been more useful than his Slammy Awards, I suppose).

cardedowen.JPGWWFJSS2-02.JPGOwenhart.jpgwwfgm03.jpgwwfstmp11.jpg

They Said:"He was better than Bret and could have held the world title if he would have got given the push. Great on the mic as well."

• Paid Members
I'm sure this will be great but New Jack & Spike Dudley?! Who has voted for them and why?

I didn't but Spike was over big style for a while with ECW fans and actually had some top matches. They were based a lot on character, the giant killer bit and some mental bumps at times but it didn't mean they weren't class and he wasn't putting in something. I do adore his time in ECW to be fair.

Him and Austin over that petition is a highlight of 2001 too, while were about it.

Edit: That last Owen figure looks wank.

I'm sure this will be great but New Jack & Spike Dudley?! Who has voted for them and why?

I didn't but Spike was over big style for a while with ECW fans and actually had some top matches. They were based a lot on character, the giant killer bit and some mental bumps at times but it didn't mean they weren't class and he wasn't putting in something. I do adore his time in ECW to be fair.

Him and Austin over that petition is a highlight of 2001 too, while were about it.

Edit: That last Owen figure looks wank.

he definitely has his place in history and is capable of entertaining but I wouldnt have considered him in my top 50 and I am surprised anyone considers him in their top 5 - which I think was the voting method - New Jack is an even crazier shout in my eyes but I suppose thats what these things are all about, different opinions and all that

Those STOMP figures are a testament to just how popular wrestling was back then. They could put the WWF logo on pretty much anything and people would buy it. And just when you thought there was nothing left you would walk into Woolworths and see wrestling figures with SUPER SWEAT ACTION!!!

Archived