Vince's love/hate relationship with divas

Jetta's G-string

• Paid Members
Can someone explain the love for Gail Kim?

She had brilliant matches with Kong in TNA in 2005 or whenever it was. Some people obviously think that shows she's got something about her.

I don't think she's shit, I've seen far, far worse. She's not very good though, not unless Kong is throwing her around.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its obvious the divas are going to draw a different demographic because in a tough male dominated world the Divas offer something different that appeals to perhaps the younger female WWE fan who see them as role models, it doesn't matter that their in-ring abilities aren't that great what matters is that fans are tuning in to watch them.

Its unfair to compare the Diva's to the male WWE superstars, I think the WWE Diva's make the best of the situation they are in, they make the best of the time they are offered and give the best of their abilites which fair enough isn't a lot but you can't blame them for trying. Michelle McCool and Layla were very entertaining and talented in the ring, Michelle McCool in my opinion was given a lot of unjustifed slagging but when you look at her in-ring product, it was tighter and better paced than anyother Diva in WWE. I miss the days of Jackie, Jazz, Ivory and others who offered the best in womens wrestling, each were mega tough and believeable. I'd love to see WWE employ Diva's like them again (if they still exist) I was really excited for Awesome Kong/Karma coming to WWE and her short stint was really enjoyable even if it was repeatative. I can't wait for her to return.

I think the WWE really need to work on training their current Diva's, I know they have Goldust helping them out but it would be great to see them push Diva training. You can see slowly but surely the Diva's espessially Kelly Kelly is getting better but like I say until the WWE invest time and effort into the Divas you cant blame them for offering the best they can do in the limited time they are given.

Divas have a place, but the general rule should be all story and minimal matches, because they end up being just fucking shit. Even the good ones are more "good for Divas" rather than actually good. Trish's work was sometimes the exception, but she had to be in there with someone really really good and/or over too. They weren't all Shawn Michaels matches, as some people seem to believe whilst fogged with nostalgia.

LayCool are a great example of this. Their angles were fucking class because they actually worked on their characters and left writers no choice but to give them half-decent content to work with. The matches thawed their gimmick because they either weren't all that special, or McCool was actually head and shoulders above lots of those they opposed, and it made her tough to hate for being such a bitch in the build up.

When they spent months and months bullying Mickie, including that deeply upsetting scene where they beat her up and dumped food and punch all over her, which culminated in Mickie squashing the pair of them to win the title at the PPV - that was the perfect use of the Divas. Undoubtedly touched the right nerve with the Divas demographic they think there is, and created enough of a decent angle in the first place that it fit in the show. It was a fucking damn site better than half the Smackdown midcard at that point anyway, I know that much.

God it pissed me off when people banged on Michelle McCool shagging Taker for her regular face on telly. She was a fucking terrific wrestler on her day, as Divas go. I remember Maria saying in her shoot how she picked up the mantle of Divas coach during the period where they completely gave up on it backstage - spending time in the ring before and after shows with the other girls to help them improve. The division has been way weaker for her departure. AJ Styles nicking her finisher was a bit cheeky as well.

• Paid Members
Wwe suffered badly when kong left.

Not really. She hadn't had a single bloody match, so I'd say it stayed pretty much the same.

Gail Kim did an interview with the Sun talking about all the constraints the women were under. "We just didn't understand. They did everything in their power, it seemed, to take away everything to give us a good match, for the heels to get any heat. It was no kicking one week, or no punching the next. No this, no that. It was at the point where I was asking whether we could do anything at all."

Gail Kim did an interview with the Sun talking about all the constraints the women were under. "We just didn't understand. They did everything in their power, it seemed, to take away everything to give us a good match, for the heels to get any heat. It was no kicking one week, or no punching the next. No this, no that. It was at the point where I was asking whether we could do anything at all."

grapes-print.jpg

The ironic thing is Gail Kim couldn't do anything at all, the useless twat. She couldn't even throw a bucket.

No, I'm not going to buy into the fact that Gail Kim is crap as quick as everyone else is on here. She wasn't giving enough to get over or have good matches. She was mostly in the background in a multi-woman tag match or battle royal. She should have made herself stand out more perhaps but then it's not as easy as that. She might have been disciplined for trying to outshine the other divas.

• Paid Members

The constraints are probably down to the road agents and management stopping them completely exposing the business instead of just embarrassing it, like they usually do. I would be all for the divas not kicking and punch personally. Constraints is another word for "stopping them doing even more things abysmal".

Archived