Favourite movie martial arts scenes.

Murtz

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I remember seeing Ong Bak for the first time and thinking it was one of the most mental, craziest martial arts films I'd ever seen. Isn't Tony Jaa a monk somewhere now? I'm sure he's quit filming/martial arts training and he's either gone mental or gone into a forest. Or both.

He became a monk for a while but I think most of the other stories about him have been unsubstantiated. He's finished at his monastery now and doing Warrior King 2.

Erm probably NSFW

This is a great movie by the way, the fights in there are brutal, apparently this fight scene here had some impromptu, you can tell, it does feel very real, certainly one of my fav fight scenes ever.

Yeah was gonna post this fight scene too - I've read that apparently the fight was much much longer and did contain a lot of improv, sadly a lot was cut because the producers were worrried it might overshadow the final Yen vs Sammo fight.

Other amazing moments with my fav Jackie Chan

Jackie vs Hwang In Shik - The Young Master

Also Sammo vs The Voodoo Alter - Spooky Encounters - completely insane stuff here from Sammo and crew.

Also any of the fights in Iron Monkey, The Prodigal Son, Magnificent Butcher are worth checking.

• Paid Members
Anyway, I could have picked one of many, but here's the
. I bloody love all of the Police Story films; Jackie Chan at his best.

Fuck yes. The whole final act of Police Story 3 is an absolute masterpiece of excitement. I remember when I managed to find a video rental store that carried it - having read praise about it for about 3 years - and quite literally sat on the edge of my seat during the helicopter/train scenes. Some scary/nasty out-takes during the credits too.

Right, I'll try and go steady with this, and provide YouTube Links where possible.

Wheels On Meals

Jackie vs Benny "The Jet" Urquidez

During filming, Jackie kept telling Benny that he wanted a legit match with him once shooting was complete. Benny took it as a joke, but Jackie kept insisting, and telling all the crew it was going to happen. During the fight scenes, Benny would go in fast and pretty hard on him whilst pointing out that he was still pulling his punches in the hope that Jackie would realise fighting him for real was a bad idea and back out. But no, Jackie kept on saying that they were going to have a proper match at the end of shooting.

So finally the film is done and Benny asks him once again if he really wants to go through with it. Jackie tells him not a chance and that he never really intended to, he just said that to get the absolute best out of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrlxwlCHFXY...feature=related

Dragons Forever

Jackie and Yuen Biu vs Yuen Wah, Benny Urquidez, Billy Chow and a shit load of HK bad guy regulars from Jackie's and Samo's stunt team.

I don't know if the stunt teams were trying to outdo each other on this scene, but some of them take horrific falls, even by 1980s HK standards. Pity the poor fucker at 4:30. Yuen Biu really got to do some beautiful stuff in this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2skcthFq3aM...feature=related

Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Star

Jackie, Yuen Biu and Andy Lau vs Lau Kar Wei, Dick Wei, Philip Ko and a bunch of others.

It's typical mid-80s Golden Harvest goodness, but all pales in comparison to Yuen Biu being all kinds of awesome at 5:40. VHS sales of this were based on being able to rewind that kick.

Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Star has some of the lamest comedy ever, coupled with some of the greatest fight scenes ever. DVDs having chapters is a Godsend. Later on in that film:

Samo Hung vs Richard Norton and Yasuaki Kurata

Yuen Biu vs Chong Fat and his moustache

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDsdl9GAaAo

Action starts at about 7:30, and carries on into part 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL4RgDPYwiY...feature=related

Drunken Master 2

Pissed up Jackie vs the guy that played Liu Kang in the first Mortal Kombat game and his gang of ruffians.

Pre-internet and DVDs, this was a fucking nightmare to get hold of. Well worth it though.

Right, no more Jackie Chan.

Pedicab Driver

Samo Hung vs Lau Kar Leung.

Lau (AKA "The Pops") was the top choreographer at Shaw Bros studios. Samo was the top choreographer at Golden Harvest studios. This couldn't have been anything other than great. For a while I rated this as the greatest fight scene I'd ever seen, and I'm not convinced I was wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiIGGqC0Lv8

Apart from a few misplaced bits of comedy near the beginning, this is an absolute gem of a film.

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

Hsiao Hou and Lau Kar Leung vs Lo Leih's henchmen.

If you like things a bit more brightly coloured and acrobatic, this here's great. Hsiao Hou is generally regarded as one of the greatest acrobats in HK film history.

Kung Fu vs Yoga

Ugly bloke and some guy that ended up in Samo's stunt team vs and Indian guy.

There are no words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WjB928Lb_Y...feature=related

Game of Death II (AKA: Tower of Death)

Merciless cash in on finding a bit of unused footage from Enter The Dragon. Often gets dismissed, which is a shame as it has possibly the greatest ensemble cast besides Eastern Condors or Shanghai Express. Hwang Jan Lee, Lee Hoi San, Roy Horan, Ca Sa Fa and many others (including Yuen Biu doing some doubling for the lead actor) contribute to some cracking fight scenes.

Tong Lung vs "Wildman".

That flying kick at the end is a thing of beauty.

Tong Lung (and Yuen Biu, but don't tell anyone) vs Hwang Jan Lee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H34a_cgGVMM...feature=related

Awesome stuff Baz - still need to watch Pedicab Driver and I've just reminded myself to watch The Victim as well!!

I feel awful leaving out stuff by Yuen Baio, Lau Kar Leung etc but then again I'd be here all night listing them all!!

• Paid Members

I feel bad for not including Lau Kar Fei at all. The kung fu movie industry is like the wrestling business though, once you go back to the classic era, there's just too many great performers to include all of them. I feel I maybe should have had a bit of John Liu in there though.

If you want some traditional style Samo, then I'd put this well ahead of The Victim (and almost everything else)

The Odd Couple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKsCY72ORps

• Paid Members

fuck that bump off the car is brutal at the end.

I always remember a stunt in the thai film The Bodyguard involving a stuntman who im pretty must have been killed, i think it involved a jeep. I'll look for it...

or it might have been in Born To Fight.

• Paid Members

fuck that bump off the car is brutal at the end.

I've got a documentary/feature somewhere (it might be the Heromakers DVD that you used to get free with HKL boxed sets) where Ridley Tsui does pretty much the same fall, but from the third floor. Judging from his expression, it hurt.

There Loads of Great Fight Scenes out there from Various Martial Arts / Action Films id probably say the following are some of the best ive seen in a while

City of Violence - Street Fight

Fighter In the Wind

Andy Cheng Short Fight Scene - US Seals 2

Choi Min Soo - Fight Scene from Korean Movie Terrorist

A Man from Nowhere :) Knife Fight

There a mixture ive got at least a thousand MA movies so if anyone wants any im sure i can help :)

Archived