Noel Gallagher's new solo record

lambyUK

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Got to disagree on Noel beign a better singer than Liam. Liam's voice 94-97 was top draw. Its gone to shit since though, especially live.

It's strange. Somehow over the years Noel's voice has improved so much. It's become softer and he has improved the range of his vocals. Being off the drugs obviously helps and I would imagine he has received real advice on how to improve it. Liam on the other hand, whilst still sounding reasonable in the studio, is simply diabolical live. When you are there at the gig you can't tell as the guitars are so loud, but when you hear a recording 9 times out of 10 he sounds like shit. However, from 94-97, whilst not everyone's cup of tea, Liam's voice was great with Dont Go Away being his vocal highlight (imo).

Going back to Noel's album it gets better with every listen. Of the tracks I thought were average (which were 3 of the 10) have all now grown on me and I can't find a track that I want to skip. Also as someone mentioned, 'IF I Had A Gun' is up there with the best tracks he has ever written.

Album highlights for me are 'Everybody's on the run', 'AKA..What a life', "AKA..Broken Arrow', 'If I Had A Gun' 'I wanna live a dream (in my record machine)' and 'The Death Of You And Me'.

Got to disagree on Noel beign a better singer than Liam. Liam's voice 94-97 was top draw. Its gone to shit since though, especially live.

It's strange. Somehow over the years Noel's voice has improved so much. It's become softer and he has improved the range of his vocals. Being off the drugs obviously helps and I would imagine he has received real advice on how to improve it. Liam on the other hand, whilst still sounding reasonable in the studio, is simply diabolical live. When you are there at the gig you can't tell as the guitars are so loud, but when you hear a recording 9 times out of 10 he sounds like shit. However, from 94-97, whilst not everyone's cup of tea, Liam's voice was great with Dont Go Away being his vocal highlight (imo).

Always thought he stretched himself on the chorus of She's Electric, not much like but it was a bit more than the Lennon-esque stuff

He's fucking brilliant here though -

• Paid Members

Noel always had the better vocal range, Acquiesce wasn't intended to be a shared vocals track originally but Liam couldn't hit the notes in the chorus so Noel took over. But have to agree with everyone who says Liam's voice between 94-97 was fantastic. 'Underneath The Sky', 'Cast No Shadow', Champagne Supernova' and 'Let's All Make Believe' I'd probably put as his best performances.

• Paid Members
Noel always had the better vocal range, Acquiesce wasn't intended to be a shared vocals track originally but Liam couldn't hit the notes in the chorus so Noel took over. But have to agree with everyone who says Liam's voice between 94-97 was fantastic. 'Underneath The Sky', 'Cast No Shadow', Champagne Supernova' and 'Let's All Make Believe' I'd probably put as his best performances.

Sorry to be pedantic but that was 2000 as the b side to Go Let it Out (and substantially better than it too). I agree however that Lets all make believe is an exception to the 94-97 statement.

• Paid Members

Sorry to be pedantic but that was 2000 as the b side to Go Let it Out (and substantially better than it too). I agree however that Lets all make believe is an exception to the 94-97 statement.

Thankyou, I am aware of that. :p Probably their last really good B-Side I'd say. One that, as you rightly say, was better than the single.

Bollocks - Got Let It Out is a class track. ...Make Believe is good though.

As for Noel's album? Its top notch. I downloaded it about 2 weeks ago from some geezer on twitter, so I've had a bit longer to digest it, and it really is a grower. The first half of the record is flawless, tune after tune. I'm not too keen on Solder Boys... and obviously Stop The Clocks could never live up to its hype, but its a 9/10 album for me.

If you haven't already, try listening to If I Had A Gun through a set of earphones on the Ipod, and its amazing. When the Crouch End Choir turns up on the last chrous, its the cherry on the icing on the top of the best cake of the year.

I'm off to see him next Wednesday in Manchester, and I honestly can't wait. He's said that he'll play all the new tunes apart from Stop The Clocks, and 4 or 5 Oasis songs. I hope he gets the electric guitar out for those, because he's done to death acoustic versions of Wonderwall, Half The World Away and Slide Away. He mentioned that he's rehearsed Rock N Roll Star, Lya and Roll With It electrically, but had to can them because he couldn't do them justice with his voice.

As for Liam? His voice has gone to pot after 20 years old drink, drugs and fags. But when he was on,. he was on. 1992-1997 was his pomp, and the demo version of Live Forever is simply flawless. As for his best live performance? Maine Road on the There and Then DVD. Can't be beaten. However, I'm seeing Beady Eye next month too, so I'll be privvy first hand to his 21st Century growl.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a massive Oasis fanboy, so take the above with a pinch of salt.

• Paid Members
Bollocks - Got Let It Out is a class track. ...Make Believe is good though.

Oh absolutely, I'm not saying Go Let It Out was a bad song, in fact it's one of my favourite post Be Here Now tracks of theirs, and it was definitely more suited to being a 'first single off the album' track than something like Lets All Make Believe.

He mentioned that he's rehearsed Rock N Roll Star, Lya and Roll With It electrically, but had to can them because he couldn't do them justice with his voice.

I'd love to see him do some of the songs he did on early live tours during his acoustic set, always liked him doing D'Yer Wanna Be A Spaceman. Hopefully he'll pull out his awesome cover of "There is a Light that Never Goes Out" too.

Yeah, the Supersonic recording was from the Italian radio station I think. Sounded pretty good, but it has a heard it all before ring to it for me.

I'm hoping and praying for some rarer stuff, like BB mentioned above. His back catalogue is so stacked with tunes, he could dip into pretty much anything (apart from a few ropey tunes around the turn of the century).

Even Songbird.

• Paid Members

Picked up the album and it's excellent. There's not a bad song on it and the more you listen, the better some of them get. Can't decide which track is my favourite because it changes every time a new one comes on. I really like Stop The Clocks but then I wasn't aware of any hype for it.

• Paid Members
Picked up the album and it's excellent. There's not a bad song on it and the more you listen, the better some of them get. Can't decide which track is my favourite because it changes every time a new one comes on. I really like Stop The Clocks but then I wasn't aware of any hype for it.

I personally can't decide between 'If I Had A Gun' and 'Everybody's On The Run'. What's great about the album is you can simply press play and not think I have to skip a track. It's nothing earth shattering, it's just an exceptionally well made album that's easy to listen to.

I'm seeing him next week at Manchester Apollo. Shit seats though.

I personally can't decide between 'If I Had A Gun' and 'Everybody's On The Run'. What's great about the album is you can simply press play and not think I have to skip a track. It's nothing earth shattering, it's just an exceptionally well made album that's easy to listen to.

I'm seeing him next week at Manchester Apollo. Shit seats though.

I have standing at the Apollo!

As for Stop The Clocks? Yeah, on its own its a pretty good album closer - but the track has been talked about since 2002(ish) I believe. Noel's said in the past that its right up there with his best work, and that he's compared it to The Masterplan (which he rates as one of, if not his best song). If that's the first time you've heard about it in this thread, I imagine it's pretty good to listen to, but to Oasis/Noel badgers like myself, its a mild dissapointment.

IF I Had A Gun is my favourite, and Dream On is this albums She's Electric.

Archived