Batman: Arkham City

Cobra1000

it also could be argued that this is the first blockbuster (after the Footy games) title to be released in a very, very awesome Autumn/Winter period for gaming.

Surely that would be Gears of War 3? Unless you're counting end of September as "Summer". Doesn't matter anyway, I can't fuckin' wait for Arkham City. Asylum was everything a Batman game deserved to be, not just some half assed movie tie in. By all accounts, City comfortably out does Asylum, friday can't come soon enough.

well im a ps3 man, so I didn't even think of that, but yeah fair enough!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not liking the fact that you need to download some DLC to have the full game, it's not just extra missions as it adds story during the main game too. Some people still can't get proper broadband so they are screwed so i think i'll be keeping away, i've stopped buying all games with online passes already and this is worse.

• Moderators

q

it also could be argued that this is the first blockbuster (after the Footy games) title to be released in a very, very awesome Autumn/Winter period for gaming.

Surely that would be Gears of War 3? Unless you're counting end of September as "Summer". Doesn't matter anyway, I can't fuckin' wait for Arkham City. Asylum was everything a Batman game deserved to be, not just some half assed movie tie in. By all accounts, City comfortably out does Asylum, friday can't come soon enough.

well im a ps3 man, so I didn't even think of that, but yeah fair enough!

Nah, the cycle is done by quarters. September is still Q3, with Q4 being the biggest time of year for gaming (although much of that is made up by the tiresome annual releases of sports titles in which they make no substantial changes to the games). So you were right; stick to your guns!

I'm not liking the fact that you need to download some DLC to have the full game, it's not just extra missions as it adds story during the main game too. Some people still can't get proper broadband so they are screwed so i think i'll be keeping away, i've stopped buying all games with online passes already and this is worse.

Internet access isn't some newfangled rare luxury, it's common enough that it's not a valid point to whinge from. It's like someone moaning that you couldn't get the full benefit of a Master System game if you didn't have a telly. And if you haven't got Internet access, you're not going to see all the "wow the Catwoman bits are ace" comments on the Internet to make you jealous anyway so you won't even really be aware what you're missing.

Internet access isn't some newfangled rare luxury, it's common enough that it's not a valid point to whinge from. It's like someone moaning that you couldn't get the full benefit of a Master System game if you didn't have a telly. And if you haven't got Internet access, you're not going to see all the "wow the Catwoman bits are ace" comments on the Internet to make you jealous anyway so you won't even really be aware what you're missing.

You're still not getting a full game though and it's this whole culture of being sold half a game every time with having to buy the rest later on too, i'm not going to buy into it no matter what. I'm against piracy but until it stops i'll not be buying these games legally.

If the second hand game plus DLC is more expensive than buying the game new would've been, you're a tit for buying it second hand anyway. And if it still works out cheaper to buy it second-hand and pay for the DLC, you've nothing to complain about. Nothing wrong with developers trying to recoup a little bit of money from cheapskates.

They have managed to do without it for years and to be fair a lot of it seems to be down to Publishers more than the Developer themselves, just imagine buying a copy of Mario 3 on NES these days but not being able to play half the game. In the future this will fuck up retro gaming but oh well, i'm not going to fund it so let them do as they please i guess.

Not if you buy the game second hand.

Second hand games are a bigger ruin on the industry than piracy. If someone's pirating a game it's pretty likely that they never had any intention of buying it in the first place; however, if someone walks into Gamestation and sees Arkham City preowned for five quid less, he's going to buy it, isn't he? It's pure profit for the game shop and whilst I understand they have a business to run, it takes away money that the developers/publishers should be getting to reinvest.

• Moderators
They have managed to do without it for years and to be fair a lot of it seems to be down to Publishers more than the Developer themselves, just imagine buying a copy of Mario 3 on NES these days but not being able to play half the game. In the future this will fuck up retro gaming but oh well, i'm not going to fund it so let them do as they please i guess.

The whole landscape of the industry and the market has changed a lot since then. It's not comparable.

Loki explained this really well one time but i don't really have the full understanding to be able to do so.. (he works/worked in the industry). Maybe if he sees this thread he can drop some science..

If Mario 3 on NES cost the same to develop as Arkham City, the retail price of the game would've had to have been more than five times that of a NES itself, probably. Nintendo would've gone bust making it. The industry's different. Mario 3 cost about the same to buy as Arkham City does (not even accounting for inflation), and cost a tiny fraction to make. The developers weren't losing so much to the second-hand market in those days, either.

DLC is to take some amount out of the ore-owned market. It was never an issue a couple of generations ago because, only some game shops did pre-owned games and the whole microtransaction thing hadn't taken off yet. Some high street places like Game make more money from the pre-owned titles than they do new ones. So in typical games industry fashion, the publishers find ways to rinse more money out of their games. The online pass thing wouldn't annoy people as much if publishers were honest about it. I mean how is entering a 25-character code supposed to "enhance my gameplaying experience"?

The catwoman challenge missions are what you'll have to pay for if you get AC pre-owned, I believe. So she should still be in the main story mode of the game. But don't quote me on that, I know little to nothing about new releases and it doesn't help warners is intent on shafting gamers with day and month 1 DLC bullshit

Archived