Blast From the Past: WrestleXpress!~

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I remember this too. I think me and Ebb actually bought tickets and then got fucked when it all fell apart. As I recall, RVD was meant to headline.

He was originally, but even before it all went to shit he pulled out due to signing with WWF and the main event was changed to Corino vs Curt Hennig.

That's if he was ever even booked, of course. I remember taking to Steve Corino (the only guy from the original card who ended up on the TWC replacement) at his gimmick table and he said although he WAS booked, Christian York & Joey Matthews (who were on the original card in a TLC vs Storm & Fleisch and CIMA & Dragon Kid) had told him they knew nothing of the show until they started getting emails from fans in England about if they were going to be on the TWC version one it had all gone to pot.

Booked or not, there were a lot of names attached to the original show. Other than those I've mentioned, I recall Jimmy Hart, Bischoff, Sonny Onoo, Vampiro, Juvi Guerrera, Ian Harrison, Terry Tate, and of course Mr William!

Just one more note - my recollection of it was that TWC didn't honour any tickets from the original show, you just had to buy theirs and get a refund. Which wasn't fun, as has been pointed out.

I am wary when any UK promoter uses all these bollocks words like revolutionise, exclusive & competitive, which mean sod all.

At least I am now, after losing money on that. Hence why in 10 years I've spent the grand total of about

• Paid Members

These stories are fascinating to me, but ultimately events like this and all the recent (and past) trouble with 1PW have a real negative effect on the Britwres scene. I mean, it's going to take a real concerted effort and a huge leap of faith on behalf of the fans for anyone to be able to sting them like absolute hayseeds again. You'd probably have to make it seem like you could get over someone like Austin or Ultimate Warrior now in order to get the rubes to shell out their hard earned, and then disappear.

These stories are fascinating to me, but ultimately events like this and all the recent (and past) trouble with 1PW have a real negative effect on the Britwres scene. I mean, it's going to take a real concerted effort and a huge leap of faith on behalf of the fans for anyone to be able to sting them like absolute hayseeds again. You'd probably have to make it seem like you could get over someone like Austin or Ultimate Warrior now in order to get the rubes to shell out their hard earned, and then disappear.

Would you fuck. The sort of mongs who pay out time and again will plonk the money down for the likes of Sandman, Steve Corino and Davey Richards. 1PW did well in the most recent one because they got Michaels in and managed to promote it to people outside the usual audience for this stuff, but if you just wanted to fleece the ones who bite every time, you could do it by announcing very low-level names like the ones I mentioned.

• Paid Members

Would you fuck. The sort of mongs who pay out time and again will plonk the money down for the likes of Sandman, Steve Corino and Davey Richards. 1PW did well in the most recent one because they got Michaels in and managed to promote it to people outside the usual audience for this stuff, but if you just wanted to fleece the ones who bite every time, you could do it by announcing very low-level names like the ones I mentioned.

Absolutely... every time I see some absolute bollocks about a show that's clearly going to fall apart, there is is the usual cast of rubes saying how great it's going to be.

• Paid Members
I remember becoming aware of this in 2003 and was thinking of going but the card I remembered just had DLo Brown and a few others iirc.

Unless I've misread or there was a hugely unlikely relaunch attempt I've forgotten, that's not Wrestlexpress you're recalling. Wrestlexpress was October 2001.

I had tickets for it, it was going to be exceptional from the promotion behind it. RVD was the man I wanted to see after ECW had folded, it sucked when he pulled out. I think I was a member of the WrestleXpress forum at the time and it all unfolded over a few days about it collapsing, we got the money back in the end but it was such a disappointment that the first time I'd shown a interest in a UK show turned out this way.

Archived