Unexpected Oppourtunities/running with the ball

Doog

Right so im just watching bound for glory and Bully Ray had just been interviewed backstage and really heeled it up against philly etc, and it got me thinking, had it not been for Jeff Hardy getting drugged up/leaving TNA for a while earlier in the year then bully rat probably wouldn't have been put in immortal and have such a high profile roll. I mean he was gettig good before but since he joined immortal he's been sensational, really gets the live crowd hating him.

So what other times can you think off when a wrestler has been given a chance they probably wouldn't have got had something unexpected not happened, and really ran with the ball and made a success of themselves...

Right so im just watching bound for glory and Bully Ray had just been interviewed backstage and really heeled it up against philly etc, and it got me thinking, had it not been for Jeff Hardy getting drugged up/leaving TNA for a while earlier in the year then bully rat probably wouldn't have been put in immortal and have such a high profile roll. I mean he was gettig good before but since he joined immortal he's been sensational, really gets the live crowd hating him.

So what other times can you think off when a wrestler has been given a chance they probably wouldn't have got had something unexpected not happened, and really ran with the ball and made a success of themselves...

Austin at KOTR 96 instead of HHH

Well Steve Austin obviously wins this thread, waits for a few more pages of posts, then comes back and wins it again. There can't be a better case then "Oh, he's not doing it now, you can win it" being better for a career than his, can there?

Randy Savage winning the tournament at Wrestlemania IV springs to mind for me. He would have always remained a superstar, but being given a year to be the Champion while Hogan was still king of the hill was a big show of faith from the company, and one he repaid in become an even better rounded wrestler than he already was. I could be wrong on this but I believe he drew big money for the most part too?

He basically went from lifelong superstar to lifelong megastar off the back of that run, and that's not easy.

• Paid Members

Jeff Hardy in 2008. Despite him fucking up and WWE trying their best to stall/stop his momentum, the crowd weren't having it. They wanted him as their champion. Just a shame he's a fuck up.

I could be wrong on this but I believe he drew big money for the most part too?

WWF were doing amazing business at the time. There were even people in the company wanting Savage to remain babyface champion, such was the money he was making, but Vince wanted to see out his year long feud, how times change.

Matt Hardy.

Lita cheating on him helped him out in a way, he wasn't really up to much for a while and was getting tired as a character then that happened and ended up helping him massively.

He was getting mental reactions and bigger pushes than he'd ever likely have gotten.

Of course, that all turned to crap though.

• Paid Members

Honky Tonk Man getting the Intercontinental Title because Steamboat wanted some time off and, apparently, Butch Reed didn't turn up to the show where he'd have got the Title.

Similarly, Stan Lane joining the Midnight Express after Dennis Condrey disappeared before a show and Cornette wasn't able to get touch with Tom Prichard.

More modern example would be Brock Lesnar quitting and Eddie Guerrero not being able to handle the pressure of being Champion led to Bradshaw going from one half of a stale midcard tag team to WWF Champion in about two months. Very definition of running with the ball there.

• Moderators
Honky Tonk Man getting the Intercontinental Title because Steamboat wanted some time off and, apparently, Butch Reed didn't turn up to the show where he'd have got the Title.

The Butch Reed stuff is a myth. He was one of the people that congratulated HTM at the taping.

CM Punk's 2nd money in the bank win. This was largely believed to be going to Jeff Hardy at the time who was (surprise) suspended for violating the wellness policy.

Punk, at that point a stale babyface, was given the win instead and it prompted a much needed heel turn to a character that Punk looked a hell of a lot more comfortable portraying.

CM Punk's 2nd money in the bank win. This was largely believed to be going to Jeff Hardy at the time who was (surprise) suspended for violating the wellness policy.

Punk, at that point a stale babyface, was given the win instead and it prompted a much needed heel turn to a character that Punk looked a hell of a lot more comfortable portraying.

No. You're thinking of Punk's first Money in the Bank win. The following year, Jeff was involved in the Hardy vs Hardy feud at WrestleMania.

No. You're thinking of Punk's first Money in the Bank win. The following year, Jeff was involved in the Hardy vs Hardy feud at WrestleMania.

Oh, well I retract my statement.

Am I right in thinking that he only reason WWE ran with Batista as a face was when they saw the massive reaction he got when they teased an Evolution breakup on that episode of Raw in late 2003.Well that and they'd ballsed up Randy Orton's face turn beyond belief.If it was only implemented because of the reaction he recieved,then surely that has to be one of the best example of running with the ball ever.Anything that gave us Big Dave is a godsend :rolleyes:

Los Guerreros were only supposed to a short term deal until they got super over,especially with the "Lie,Cheat and Steal" bit.

Saying that Stone Cold probably remains the best example of running with something unexpected,even if it did take them a couple of months to really get the ball rolling on the push.

Archived