Hardcore Holly: The Autobiography

EdgarTheSlouch

Bob Holly signs Hardcore book deal

From 1993 to 2009, "Hardcore" Bob Holly was a mainstay on the WWE roster, surviving the Monday Night Wars, Montreal screw job, WCW takeover, and the tragic stories of Owen Hart, Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit. Now, with an announced autobiography, The Hardcore Truth, he promises to share stories no one else will tell.

"My book will be different because it's about my life pre-WWE days and my perspective of the wrestling business. I will talk about things no one has dared to talk about," Holly told SLAM! Wrestling. "It will be written in a very unique style thanks to Ross Williams who I've chosen to write my story. I believe this book will be an interesting and entertaining read. You will definitely want to read this book not only for what I am going to share but the exceptional brilliant style of writing Ross uses when putting words on paper."

Holly's choice of Williams is a unique one. A Drama and Language graduate from the University of London and Central School of Speech and Drama, Williams lives in Berkshire and works as a freelance writer, publicist and business advisor to assorted recruitment and wrestling companies. Having written about wrestling since 1996, he decided to start training to be a pro wrestler in 2009 -- and ended up facing Holly in the ring.

"When reading some of the previous wrestling autobiographies, you get the feeling that accompanying writer doesn't really know that much -- or care that much -- about wrestling. You won't have that problem with this book," promised Williams. "I'd be surprised if you found a single other wrestling book that has been written by two guys who have faced each other in a match!"

Besides the wrestling tales, Holly -- real name Bob Howard -- shares his personal stories, from growing up in California and Oregon, the son of an absent street-fighting father and hard-working single mother. At 19, he was entering tough-man contests to pay the bills for his his partner and newborn daughter, leading, eventually, to his WWE deal.

"Bob Howard first contacted me a little more than year ago, after reading Irv Muchnick

• Moderators
"My book will be different because it's about my life pre-WWE days and my perspective of the wrestling business. I will talk about things no one has dared to talk about," Holly told SLAM! Wrestling. "It will be written in a very unique style thanks to Ross Williams who I've chosen to write my story. I believe this book will be an interesting and entertaining read. You will definitely want to read this book not only for what I am going to share but the exceptional brilliant style of writing Ross uses when putting words on paper."

What the fuck is this shit? I imagine Holly saying those things in the slow, monotone voice a five-year-old uses when reading aloud in class.

• Paid Members

As it says on the tin really. Isn't much more to tell. The timeline of this picture is confusing. Because they only held the belts one night, I believe. Yet Bob's all tarted up in the black, even though he wasn't wearing the black during this period. General musing. Doesnt really matter.

123kidbobholly.jpg

"My book will be different because it's about my life pre-WWE days and my perspective of the wrestling business.

So no WWF stories at all then? Either way I'll still buy it because I fucking love Bob Holly. The only thing I'd love more is a Steve Blackman autobiography.

Any chance of a Hardcore era appreciation thread Ian?

Surely, if you're making that joke, the case would be more that there's no WWE stories if he's saying it's about his life pre-WWE?

It wasn't a joke, I was just calling it WWF. I'm just more interested in reading stories from WWF/WWE (nitpick at your leisure ;) ) than say, stuff about his childhood. Thats the sort of stuff I skim read through, it bored the fuck out of me in Shawn Michaels book and then when it got to the wrestling stuff it was all rose tinted bullshit anyway, it would have just been far less dissapointing had I not just read through 200 pages about what his school life was like.

Surely, if you're making that joke, the case would be more that there's no WWE stories if he's saying it's about his life pre-WWE?

It wasn't a joke, I was just calling it WWF. I'm just more interested in reading stories from WWF/WWE (nitpick at your leisure ;) ) than say, stuff about his childhood. Thats the sort of stuff I skim read through, it bored the fuck out of me in Shawn Michaels book and then when it got to the wrestling stuff it was all rose tinted bullshit anyway, it would have just been far less dissapointing had I not just read through 200 pages about what his school life was like.

Same. Unless you're a genuinely good writer with interesting stories from your early life, there should be no more than one pre-wrestling chapter in a wrestling autobiography.

Same. Unless you're a genuinely good writer with interesting stories from your early life, there should be no more than one pre-wrestling chapter in a wrestling autobiography.

I think Bret Hart and Foley in his first book are the only 2 authors who can write really interesting non-wrestling stories

• Paid Members
"My book will be different because it's about my life pre-WWE days and my perspective of the wrestling business.

Instantly turned off, Hardcore is a guy who I'd love to hear his WWE stories, he'd been there forever and seen a lot but as far as reading about his childhood and breaking into the business - zero interest.

Sorry, my bad.

He probably does have some good stories to be fair. Saying that, I sat through his shoot interview where he was banging on about having the potential to be the next Ric Flair and I didn't find it particularly interesting.

Sorry, my bad.

He probably does have some good stories to be fair. Saying that, I sat through his shoot interview where he was banging on about having the potential to be the next Ric Flair and I didn't find it particularly interesting.

It was Jim Cornette who said that.

Holly doesn't seem the type to put himself over too much. He knows his standing.

Sorry, my bad.

It was Jim Cornette who said that.

Holly doesn't seem the type to put himself over too much. He knows his standing.

Yeah, Cornette did say that. But Holly did seem to buy into it too.

Archived