The stop pushing these people for fucks sake ... thread

IANdrewDiceClay

The comments about Cody's see-through mask being stupid are incredible, for all the wrong reasons. Some people are thick as mince. There, right there, is the answer to the question sometimes asked as to why WWE doesn't do intellectual or thought-provoking storylines very often. They just don't bastard need to.

Next somebody will say Bob Orton's arm blatantly wasn't broken all that time, what do they think we are, stupid or something???

In wrestling you really need to make it simple for the fans to get. Some of CM Punk's stuff helped prove that with the crowd unsure who to cheer. So if the majority of the audience aren't getting it, something is wrong and judging by comments I've read here, talking to friends and read elsewhere, a lot of people don't understand the mask thing.

He was so obsessed with being flawlessly beautiful that the slightest blemish made him lose the plot, further to which he deemed it neccessary to protect what he now believed was fragile and imperfect about himself. The fragility and imperfection of his beauty only further sending him over the edge and into seeing the hideousness of everybody else as a living nightmare. Bagging this ugliness both figuratively and literally goes some way to making this living hell that little bit easier for a nutcase such as he.

Took me under a minute to type that off the top of my head. Now you can tell your mates.

And the others in the audience it's not getting over with.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, it's the commentators. Every so often Jim Ross, Jerry Lawler and Mitchell Cole get thrust into storylines either to help someone look mega nasty or to just waste TV time with folk on the roster who have nobody else to feud with. Booker T will be next and as entertaining as he is, I was never much of a fan of his in the ring. WWE shows have been plagued in the last couple of years especially trying to find a settled set of announcers for Raw and SmackDown and getting them fired then re-hired or battered then recovered just disrupts things. Give Lawler one last run in a retirement angle then keep him, JR and Cole out of the damn ring. Give the superstars feuds with other superstars, bah gawd.

Weird as it seems, I agree on the womens wrestling being shit in WWE and TNA, there are 5 passable and 2 female good wrestlers between the 2 promotions.

On that note, Velvet Sky can piss off as a wrestler, as a valet she would be great, but I can't name a single decent match she's had.

Also agree on Crimson, at least when Goldberg or Samoa Joe were on win streaks they got over.

Also Can't stand Michael Cole, Heel Colours announcers can be great, Heel Play by Plays? Nah, and he's even worse as a face.

And Mexican America, they are sloppier than JRs BBQ sauce and every time they go near a mike I have to change the channel, its always a bad sign when the best wrestler in a faction is one of the valets.

You can all fuck off with your Orton nominations for a start. Probably the most consistent in-ring performer in WWE this year. I've lost count how many decent matches I've seen him in this year. Also strongly disagree with Cody and Ziggler- easily two of my favourite mid-card heels. I do rate Del Rio and disagree with those nominating him, but I do think creative have been a bit shit with him as he's gotten stale. I don't think it's his fault.

Yeah, I agree that creative have been shit with Del Rio. It's certainly not his fault. He's got the look, he's a good wrestler, he's got the armbar over, he's got Rodriguez to play off of - he's got pretty much all the tools you could want but WWE have him come out to bore everyone with shit promos. You could say that it's partly down to him, and it is partly, but they should be playing to his strengths. He's certainly not dreadful on the mic.

I agree with these two posts. The only thing I'm not sold on with Del Rio is his mic stuff. He has shown that he can be great on the mic but recently his promos have not quite done it for me. But I still really like the guy.

The problem with Del Rio on the mic is that it's the same exact thing every week, you could swap around his promos this year in any order and it wouldn't make a difference.

• Paid Members
The comments about Cody's see-through mask being stupid are incredible, for all the wrong reasons. Some people are thick as mince. There, right there, is the answer to the question sometimes asked as to why WWE doesn't do intellectual or thought-provoking storylines very often. They just don't bastard need to.

Next somebody will say Bob Orton's arm blatantly wasn't broken all that time, what do they think we are, stupid or something???

In wrestling you really need to make it simple for the fans to get. Some of CM Punk's stuff helped prove that with the crowd unsure who to cheer. So if the majority of the audience aren't getting it, something is wrong and judging by comments I've read here, talking to friends and read elsewhere, a lot of people don't understand the mask thing.

He was so obsessed with being flawlessly beautiful that the slightest blemish made him lose the plot, further to which he deemed it neccessary to protect what he now believed was fragile and imperfect about himself. The fragility and imperfection of his beauty only further sending him over the edge and into seeing the hideousness of everybody else as a living nightmare. Bagging this ugliness both figuratively and literally goes some way to making this living hell that little bit easier for a nutcase such as he.

Took me under a minute to type that off the top of my head. Now you can tell your mates.

Someone also wants to tell Michael Cole and the rest of the commentary team whose job it is to put over the storylines to the audience at home, because they haven't got a clue what's going on either by all accounts. How often does one of the face commentators call Cody on his motivation for wearing the mask? I vaguely recall Jerry Lawler once briefly mentioning that Cody's face appeared to be fine, but that's it. Cole still talks as if he is disfigured which only confuses the viewer. I know Cole is a heel and is supposed to back up the other heels ridiculous opinions, but it just doesn't work for me and clearly many more aren't buying into it either.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so fucking obvious that he hasn't even suffered an injury in the first place. You refer to the 'slightest blemish made him lose the plot', but there wasn't even a blemish. The injury was clearly phony as fuck from the start so trying to provide the average WWE viewer with that kind of explanation is never going to work.

You are right that WWE don't need to provide intellectual storylines- it's wrestling, there is barely a more dumbed down show on television. The simple things always work best in wrestling storytelling.

Dashing Cody Rhodes was an excellent heel character. Cody got great heat coming out and looking at himself in that mirror. He got heat when he would bail from the ring when someone slapped his pretty face. It was simple, but it worked. What he's doing now isn't working. The younger fans aren't getting it and too many of the older ones think he's cool now. That makes him a shit heel in my book.

• Paid Members

I know it's not much of a push, but I wish Kofi would fuck off and die.

Heel Colours can be great,

My favourite is Mark Henry.

• Paid Members
The problem with Del Rio on the mic is that it's the same exact thing every week, you could swap around his promos this year in any order and it wouldn't make a difference.

Absolutely, and that's the problem. It's not his fault, he is given a duty to go out there and say "My name...my name is Alberto Del Rio! Buy you already know that etc etc" doing the same promo and doing the same shtick each week. There is so much they can do with him, he certainly seems to have the charisma. I think he certainly comes across as someone who will be a very good mic worker if really given something good to work with. Plus he looks fantastic, has a decent gimmick and is a sound wrestler. I'd say he has the tools more than most in the business, he just needs someone with pen that can be bothered to conjure something interesting for him to do.

Crimson - Dull as fook

Cena - Still boring since 2005

Blue Sin Cara - The King of Botch

Kelly Kelly - Boring dull

Karen Jarrett - God know shes one of the worst female characters to date

Eric Young - Turn the fucker heel again stop making him a dork.

Mexican America - CHANGE THE CHANNEL

Someone also wants to tell Michael Cole and the rest of the commentary team whose job it is to put over the storylines to the audience at home, because they haven't got a clue what's going on either by all accounts. How often does one of the face commentators call Cody on his motivation for wearing the mask? I vaguely recall Jerry Lawler once briefly mentioning that Cody's face appeared to be fine, but that's it. Cole still talks as if he is disfigured which only confuses the viewer. I know Cole is a heel and is supposed to back up the other heels ridiculous opinions, but it just doesn't work for me and clearly many more aren't buying into it either.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so fucking obvious that he hasn't even suffered an injury in the first place. You refer to the 'slightest blemish made him lose the plot', but there wasn't even a blemish. The injury was clearly phony as fuck from the start so trying to provide the average WWE viewer with that kind of explanation is never going to work.

... What he's doing now isn't working. The younger fans aren't getting it and too many of the older ones think he's cool now. That makes him a shit heel in my book.

That's spot on with my opinion.

The fact that not one Face has called Cody on his bullshit injury (thus highlighting Cody's 'mental condition') is ridiculous. Instead of that, we had Rey apologizing for accidentally causing "serious facial damage" (that was invisible to the eye), and commentators unsure of what exactly they should be saying. It's just so poorly executed. The bagging thing isn't getting over and when you see Cody on non-taped shows he really doesn't get all that much Heat.

He's very talented too, which makes it all the more frustrating.

Here's a slight left-field one for you: Sheamus.

I actually love Sheamus and I do see him as a top guy, but right now he's not involved in any of the real top stories and yet he still seems to be afforded an insane amount of protection and promotion. True, I guess there's a fair shout to say "that's something WWE are getting right", keeping Sheamus' main event embers burning even while he's on the outside of it, but there have been loads of times recently when I've been watching and thought, "jeez, how did this guy become so untouchable?". He comes out of 95% of his segments on top, finds a way to weasel into segments and shows he doesn't really need to be in, gets plenty of interview time without much to say; it's all very well and good pushing the guy, but I feel like I get it already. Yeah, he's awesome. I know. Now please let him take a beating to make some other people look good. Or at least put a similar effort into helping other guys (Punk, for example) maintain their momentum and positions.

Anyway...

Agree on Sin Caras being awful and agree with anyone defending Cody's awesomeness (mask included) and Dolph's too.

The thing with Dolph Ziggler is I think he is in the perfect position now as IC/US title calibre superstar and I dont think I could buy him as a main eventer and regular world champion/challenger.

Some guys have their place on the card and I feel Ziggler's is mid-card/upper mid-carder. He's definitely a talented wrestler and I enjoy most of his matches but cant see him getting much futher beyond his current position

• Paid Members

You believe wrong. There is only Cena in wrestling that is a fulltimer who can draw consistantly. Thats why a heel turn is probably further away from reality now than it was in 2006. If they've lost the plot completely, they'll turn Cena. What babyfaces are there to go against him? We've already seen CM Punk as the babyface wrestle Cena in a situation where he was the heel to the crowd he was playing to. Thats been done. You arent going to see a better match than that MITB one. Triple H vs Cena has been done to death. There's only Orton vs Cena in a reversal of roles and Undertaker vs Cena as a one off you could really see happening if they turned him.

Archived