Spoilers for RAW from Mexico City

PowerButchi

Cena vs Del Rio must be one of the most uninspired title feuds ever. It's largely played second fiddle to CM Punk and Triple H, but that's no excuse for it just being so bland. They've been feuding now since mid-August and they've not provided a single reason to give a shit.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Yeah there seems a lack of heat in the feud, so much so that it looked odd when Cena hit Del Rio with the steps. Rather than wanting the face to get revenge etc I thought "that's a bit harsh"

I think the crowd in the arena felt the same, they started booing.

Yeah there seems a lack of heat in the feud, so much so that it looked odd when Cena hit Del Rio with the steps. Rather than wanting the face to get revenge etc I thought "that's a bit harsh"

Nothing about the feud makes any sense. The start of it was weird as fuck, when Cena (who was smiley about losing the WrestleMania main event through interference) spat his dummy that Del Rio had cashed in Money in the Bank on Punk. Then the thing where Cena kept accusing Del Rio of renting all his cars, which did fuck all except diminish Del Rio. You're right, there's been no heat to any of it. No structure or content either, really. It almost seems like it's in the same boat as the midcard feuds, everyone's assigned to the top story of the moment (Punk, HHH, Ace, Awesome Truth) and nothing else matters. Obviously Cena and Del Rio are getting a bit more substance than Kofi and Ziggler did in their title feuds, but it's just a terrible build-up for a WWE title feud between the top star and the new top baddie.

• Paid Members

Nothing about the feud makes any sense. The start of it was weird as fuck, when Cena (who was smiley about losing the WrestleMania main event through interference) spat his dummy that Del Rio had cashed in Money in the Bank on Punk. Then the thing where Cena kept accusing Del Rio of renting all his cars, which did fuck all except diminish Del Rio. You're right, there's been no heat to any of it. No structure or content either, really. It almost seems like it's in the same boat as the midcard feuds, everyone's assigned to the top story of the moment (Punk, HHH, Ace, Awesome Truth) and nothing else matters. Obviously Cena and Del Rio are getting a bit more substance than Kofi and Ziggler did in their title feuds, but it's just a terrible build-up for a WWE title feud between the top star and the new top baddie.

Absolutely - in fact, Del Rio hasn't done anything particularly heelish to Cena. It's the weirdest feud.

• Paid Members

I think the crowd in the arena felt the same, they started booing.

Well that was to do with them backing their compatriot surely?

Just watching Raw now. R-Truth doing the little Kliq pointing taunt to Trippers, then getting a bunch of fives for his troubles, was brilliant.

Finally watched Raw last night, it was nice to see it come from another country infront of an enthusiastic bunch of fans but it didn't offer much else. Punk vs Miz was the only memorable part of the show for me and like many others have little interest in Cena vs Del Rio. Also, why were the english speaking announcers performing infront of the fans more common with Hugo and Carlos? Stupid.

The main reason I have struggled to get into the Cena-Del Rio feud is mostly down to how they have little reason to fight other than the fact that over the past couple of months, one of them has been holding the title. That's not really a good enough reason in my opinion in a company so heavy on promoting matches with substance and reason. Triple H and Punk vs Miz and Truth may be lacking in logic in parts but it's damn sure been feuled with passionate promos and build up, everything that Cena vs Del Rio lacks.

This could all be resolved witha few slight tweaks to Del Rio's character. He's meant to be the number one bad guy of the company but he doesn't do anything particularly heinous. He cashed in on Punk which is normal and not exclusively a heel trait. He then lost his title an won it back in two weeks by locking Cena out of the cell and using a pipe. As someone stated elsewhere on the forum, this didn't show how dangerous Del Rio was, it made him look like an opportunist coward who can use a weapon. ADR has been portrayed as a powerful competitor throughout 2011 and in the past few months he's simply just been lucky and picked his moments. He's been too inconsistent in character and I think his language barrier has really blocked what WWE want the fans to think of him and it's holding him and his feuds back.

I would have thought Vicki Guerrero would have acted more of a Face in Mexico as well, but she was heeling it up big time.

Why?

Did I just see Ryder beat Jack Swagger clean in approx 30 seconds??

Yep, I was shocked how quick the win was. I know Swagger's title win last year is something WWE would like to wipe from our memories....but jesus christ.

Archived