The Poppy - For Or Against?

David

I support our troops but not the current conflicts.

I don't. The illegal invasion of Iraq started almost ten years ago. As far as I'm aware none of our current personnel are conscripted into the armed forces. They choose to join up of their own free will, knowing fine well what kind of antics the British army get up to.

If you choose to join the British army and take part in this shit, you deserve anything that comes your way.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'm one of those who's a little dubious of this whole American type furore of supporting 'our boys' in the army who have been put on a bit too much of a pedestal in my opinion. But I have no problem in wearing a poppy, especially given the nature of conscription and that the vast majority of World War 1 and 2 participants had no choice in the matter and in the case of the latter, were fighting against a dictator who'd killed millions of innocent people.

The problem I have is where the money raised actually goes. The majority of it is spent on current & recent military personnel.

Don't worry, it won't be for much longer.

I'm one of those who's a little dubious of this whole American type furore of supporting 'our boys' in the army who have been put on a bit too much of a pedestal in my opinion. But I have no problem in wearing a poppy, especially given the nature of conscription and that the vast majority of World War 1 and 2 participants had no choice in the matter and in the case of the latter, were fighting against a dictator who'd killed millions of innocent people.

The problem I have is where the money raised actually goes. The majority of it is spent on current & recent military personnel.

Don't worry, it won't be for much longer.

Oh? Do tell?

I don't. The illegal invasion of Iraq started almost ten years ago. As far as I'm aware none of our current personnel are conscripted into the armed forces. They choose to join up of their own free will, knowing fine well what kind of antics the British army get up to.

If you choose to join the British army and take part in this shit, you deserve anything that comes your way.

I'm not usually this blunt with people on the Internet, but fuck you, you utter fucking wanker

Nobody signs up and goes out there to kill civilians, nobody signs up to get shot and come home in a box, the fuck are you to say who deserves what during a conflict, I'll tell you what join the army go the fuck out there instead of sitting behind a fucking computer judging whats right and wrong, legal and illegal

On a fucking wind up or what you dick?

• Paid Members

Given here, here, here, here, and here, for instance, The government has been hacking away at current military funding for well over a year, so in my mind some money going from the poppy fund, whilst distasteful for a few people, is essential. Take that away and only care for those who've served in the past, and where's the funding going to come from to keep the people who are currently deployed alive? I'm not going to condone these wasters in parliament filling their own pockets, but I'm not going to decry the servicemen out there right now because of them.

Nobody signs up and goes out there to kill civilians, nobody signs up to get shot and come home in a box, the fuck are you to say who deserves what during a conflict, I'll tell you what join the army go the fuck out there instead of sitting behind a fucking computer judging whats right and wrong, legal and illegal

I would never join the army, because I know exactly what will be asked of me once I'm handed a gun and dropped in the middle of Iraq. I would suggest that other who joined the army also knew this when they signed up, no?

By signing your name on the dotted line and willingly taking part you are complicit in the illegal and horrendous acts that our armed forces are taking part in over there, it's really as simple as that.

To expect sympathy when the people who live in those countries take exception to you being there and deal with the situation in the only way available to them is ridiculous.

If you got a job running across a motorway all day you would have to know there's a good chance you're going to get run over. Same thing applies here.

• Paid Members

I'm not usually this blunt with people on the Internet, but fuck you, you utter fucking wanker

But surely you see that people who sign up to the army do realise that it will most likely entail dangerous conflict and a realistic chance of being killed. No one denies it is a hard fucking job but let's be honest; it is their choice to be in the army; and no, that's not to say that I hope they all die or anything like that

But surely you see that people who sign up to the army do realise that it will most likely entail dangerous conflict and a realistic chance of being killed. No one denies it is a hard fucking job but let's be honest; it is their choice to be in the army; and no, that's not to say that I hope they all die or anything like that

Oh no I understand, when you sign up and head into a conflict you know exactly what it's going to be like & through your training and natural instincts you go out there and do a tough, dangerous and yes, very shitty job

But for that dick to say soldiers deserve what they get is an insult to anyone who has ever gone out there and fought for their country

Oh no I understand, when you sign up and head into a conflict you know exactly what it's going to be like & through your training and natural instincts you go out there and do a tough, dangerous and yes, very shitty job

But for that dick to say soldiers deserve what they get is an insult to anyone who has ever gone out there and fought for their country

When those soldiers are taking part in actual invasions of other countries, and when you consider that they knew that before signing up, then yes, they do deserve what they get.

Those people in Iraq & Afghanistan have a right to fight against foreign invaders, and the best of luck to them in my opinion. I wish them every success.

David, you are a cunt.

A member of my family was shot in Afghanistan 4 years ago (not killed though) aswell as this he has countless stories of friends around him who'd been injured or killed.

I suppose he had this fucking coming though didn't he.

You're a fucking bellend mate.

Archived