Some Dog & Cat Advice Please

Steve Justice

Some Cat furball advice please...

My girlfriend and I have a domestic short hair who is just over a year old. She seems to be spend alot of time in the evening grooming herself which in turn means she starts coughing up fairly large hairballs in the night. We have been using Katalax for the last month and the frequency of hairballs has gone down, but the other day she had them back to back on consecutive evenings.

Any Advice on keeping this under control? Is a visit to the vet in order.

I would give your vet a shout. Excessive grooming can be a sign of skin problems, such as an allergy. It may also be behavioural (stress related, etc) but it's always best to eliminate the potential of a physiological issue first.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Geez TripleGay, let the guy have it gently? In a few years he'll be dead? I actually lol'd. A tad insensitive, but funny.

My mum had our dog (Lab), when we were on holiday earlier this year, they have their own dog and a cat, after our dog spent a week there, the cat left home, hasn't been back since and they see it ocassionally when it runs through the garden. Possibly you may not be able to fix it.

• Paid Members
Some Cat furball advice please...

My girlfriend and I have a domestic short hair who is just over a year old. She seems to be spend alot of time in the evening grooming herself which in turn means she starts coughing up fairly large hairballs in the night. We have been using Katalax for the last month and the frequency of hairballs has gone down, but the other day she had them back to back on consecutive evenings.

Any Advice on keeping this under control? Is a visit to the vet in order.

I would give your vet a shout. Excessive grooming can be a sign of skin problems, such as an allergy. It may also be behavioural (stress related, etc) but it's always best to eliminate the potential of a physiological issue first.

Thanks. Usually she will get them every 2 weeks or so. Is there an average as to how many hairballs a cat can have on that time?

• Paid Members

There's no average, it depends on how much they groom, the time of year, the length of hair, how good they are at not swallowing the hair etc. My cousin's cat is once every few weeks but I got mine in March and have had one hair ball since then. Do you groom her at all? My cat hates brushing but likes the grooming gloves I got.

Shorthaired cats really shouldn't have hairballs; not to say they don't but the short hair shouldn't clump as badly as long-haired cats. Might be worth asking the vet, though obviously that won't be cheap!

• Paid Members

Although she's a short hair as defined on her records, she does seem to have fairly long and thick hair. I'll keep an eye on her and contact the vet if we get anymore hairballs.

The sound of a cat coughing up hair balls is fucking horrible. Poor fuckers :(

Archived