Mad Men

Dork

I know various TV shows crop up on here with their own threads, and this one certainly deserves one of it's own (unless there is one hidden away on the forum)

Just finished series 4 - I absolutely love this programme and the characters it has developed.

However, I don't really know many others that have even watched it, let alone like it.

Any other UKFFers fans of the 1960's Manhattan drama?!

• Paid Members

I didn't enjoy the first episode at all, but I decided not long ago to give it a second chance.

Can't say I think it's brilliant, but I'm enjoying it. Only on the 7th or 8th episode of Series 1 though.

I didn't enjoy the first episode at all, but I decided not long ago to give it a second chance.

Can't say I think it's brilliant, but I'm enjoying it. Only on the 7th or 8th episode of Series 1 though.

I was the same, took a bit to get going, but its definately worth sticking with

• Paid Members

I was the same, took a bit to get going, but its definately worth sticking with

Same here also, watched the first two episodes and took me another 4 or 5 months to give it another whirl and continue watching. Now up to about episode 10 and really enjoying it, I always try and make time to watch a couple of episodes a week now.

It's a strange one because nothing ever really happens, but the characters and developments of the agency and relationships are superbly written.

It is very, very close to The Wire as being my favourite show.

I watched the first season over the course of three days, and while I will say it's brilliantly written, well shot and has a fantastic feel to it, I didn't connect with it at all.

not even the finale? I felt like weeping after that.

I've only ever watched the first Season and really need to get my ass in gear watching the rest but loved the first season.

• Paid Members

Halfway through Season 2 and as much as I'm enjoying it, it's hard to connect to a series where every major character is highly unlikeable.

There's only really maybe 2 or 3 people who aren't dickheads, but even they have issues. I don't see how you're meant to get behind Don as the protagonist though when he's that shit as a person. Like he has that whole sad backstory regarding the war, but then you're like well he sleeps around on his wife, he's physically assaulted her a couple of times (though nothing serious), and he treats everyone else like shit, so why should I care about that?

On the upside though I'm enjoying the characters of Duck and Sal. Sal because he's the only main character so far who hasn't either cheated on his wife or caused much shit. And Duck because Mark Moses is ace. I'd enjoy him as an actor if he was playing an orphanage arsonist.

It's a mixed bag for me. Everything about it quality-wise is spot on, but at this point I'm only hooked on it because I want to see half of the characters get their comeuppance.

The thing with Don is he's an archetype of that American Dream. He's essentially The Great Gatsby. You're watching someone pretty innocent, become something he's not to mask what he truely is. He's having a breakdown over it and its incredibly slow burning. Obviously I can't go into more detail as you're only on Season 2.

I didn't like Don or Roger to begin with but as time goes no I think you develop a respect and understanding of their characters and their past, particularly with Don. I think you eventually sympathise with Don, but can't say too much.

Campbell is a little weasel but one of my favourite characters, an absolute blast.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Pete is another one I can't make my mind up with. He's a hungry guy looking to prove himself, and doesn't get given the chances. But then he's a dickhead so it's hard to sympathise.

No matter what Duck does though I just can't hate him. He released his dog into the wild yesterday and I hated him for about 2 seconds then forgot.

Don's wife is a fucking mentalcase too.

• 7 months later...

Finally got round to watching series five opener. I wore a suit to do so, naturally. I've always smoked Lucky Strike if I saw them in a shop but since Mad Men I actively seek them out. They make me feel like a boss.

Don's wife is a fucking mentalcase too.

I've changed my opinion on Betty Draper about a million times. There's a load of feminist literature (well, pop-lit.) floating around on her, and part of me is sympathetic to all the horrific woman-paradigms of the 50s and 60s that clearly fuck her up so much. But, then, she's also a proper twat quite a lot of the time.

Archived