What's the best look for a wrestler?

Wendell Cooley

The thread about steroid usage amongst British wrestlers got me a-thinking. Is it important for a wrestler to be a body builder, if said wrestler wants to headline? Do fans just want to ogle muscular fellows or is looking hard more important now kayfabe isn't relevant and we know that rippling muscles wouldn't matter much in a real fight? Compare the likes of Iron Shiek and Stan Hansen to Batista and Mason Ryan - a wrestler can look imposing and credible without being jacked up. Austin was a superstar while still having a bit of a belly, and as for the Sandman...! How important are muscles to you, personally? Should CM Punk get on the juice, for example?

• Paid Members

The key for me is looking like you could be tough for whatever reason, I'm 6'2, 15 stone and I can look after myself, I think I could easily beat Spud in a fight but I wouldn't want to fight Kurt Angle even though I'm bigger than him because he's a psycho, it's to do with believability, it's like an action movie, I want to believe these are the toughest guys around, Bruce Lee is a small dude but he kicks ass because that's his thing. Shawn Michaels is a slight guy but he's got cunning, he's a good fighter and he'll put his body on the line to get a win. For me if you're not big you need something to make you look like you can stand with these guys. Most british wrestlers look like skinny young losers who are wrestling fans who want to wrestle despite not being the right build for it.

The key for me is looking like you could be tough for whatever reason, I'm 6'2, 15 stone and I can look after myself, I think I could easily beat Spud in a fight but I wouldn't want to fight Kurt Angle even though I'm bigger than him because he's a psycho, it's to do with believability, it's like an action movie, I want to believe these are the toughest guys around, Bruce Lee is a small dude but he kicks ass because that's his thing. Shawn Michaels is a slight guy but he's got cunning, he's a good fighter and he'll put his body on the line to get a win. For me if you're not big you need something to make you look like you can stand with these guys. Most british wrestlers look like skinny young losers who are wrestling fans who want to wrestle despite not being the right build for it.

Oops. I meant to say something about Bruce Lee in UFC, but me phone was being a dick and now I can't be bothered.

For me its bigger the better! Obviously they need to know how to do the job though.Like I said in a previous thread, nearly half the guys in the UKFF 50 wouldn't get a booking from me due to their look.But the two things I like in wrestlers: 1) Big guys, and 2) Guys who look like men.

Which guys look like men? Eleborate. Are we talking shaved heads and tatoos or what?

For me its bigger the better! Obviously they need to know how to do the job though.Like I said in a previous thread, nearly half the guys in the UKFF 50 wouldn't get a booking from me due to their look.But the two things I like in wrestlers: 1) Big guys, and 2) Guys who look like men.

Which guys look like men? Eleborate. Are we talking shaved heads and tatoos or what?
Not necessarily tattoos and shaved heads, just guys you look at and think "I wouldn't want to mess with him".I have a guy on my roster, "Mean" Tommy Dean. Not a big guy really, about 5'10" and 15st with not the best physique, but he looks like an angrier version of Ray Winstone!

Not necessarily tattoos and shaved heads, just guys you look at and think "I wouldn't want to mess with him".I have a guy on my roster, "Mean" Tommy Dean. Not a big guy really, about 5'10" and 15st with not the best physique, but he looks like an angrier version of Ray Winstone!
Where's your fackin' tool? Ray Winstone would be a pretty good gimmick for a Britwres to have if he looked the part, based on his hardman roles.

• Paid Members

Where's your fackin' tool? Ray Winstone would be a pretty good gimmick for a Britwres to have if he looked the part, based on his hardman roles.
I don't know if a Welshman could pull it off though!

I don't know if a Welshman could pull it off though!
Vinnie Jones done ok :thumbsup:

Personally I don't care if a wrestler has muscles or no muscles, long hair or no hair. I like a wrestler who looks different from the rest of the pack. A big ripped bastard with tattoos looks like just another wrestler in a lot of promotions nowadays.

Personally I don't care if a wrestler has muscles or no muscles, long hair or no hair. I like a wrestler who looks different from the rest of the pack. A big ripped bastard with tattoos looks like just another wrestler in a lot of promotions nowadays.

Hmm... A better question might be then, how does a wrestler "nowadays" stand out from the pack? Haven't we seen it all already, from roided up freaks to fat guys to geeks? What would be new now, and does the average wrestling fan even want something new or just an embellishment of an age-old formula? Aside from an ability to cut a great promo in terms of getting over, I mean. This is purely about aesthetics.

Archived