David Otunga

Scott Hall

I thought he was absolutely terrible in NXT but at least he had a fair character, the 'A-List' stuff wasn't unwatchable. But since the Nexus with him being second in charge was a joke, between all of the Nexus talent Otunga was the worse in terms of ring work and mic skills, trying to be a tough guy and an authoritarian he was way out of his depth. The lawyer stuff feels really forced, and the little dickie bow ties are utter shit. Having him steal the oxygen of Dolph Ziggler and Vickie Guerrero is a travesty. Fire him now.

Never thought much of him until a little tag match he was in against Big Show and Kane a few months ago, and I thought he looked really good in that. I think he's fine, he's far better than McGillicutty at least. And the new lawyer gimmick fits him very well.

He's just been rushed into gimmicks, hell look at Mason Ryan i never liked him but the way they have turned him (yes he didn't get mentioned by Trips for the 6 man tag) but he put his foot in and showed some skills that make me think he's ok.

• Paid Members

I like him, have done for a while. He always came across as quite natural during backstage segments, and was pretty likeable when he was placed in the "fuck up" role of the Nexus and seemed to be on the verge of getting kicked out towards the end of last year.He's still quite shite in-ring like, but there's plenty of time to improve.

Having him steal the oxygen of Vickie Guerrero is a travesty.

The fact other people are being allowed to "breathe" while being in the same segment as Vickie should be celebrated.Maybe if Dolph Ziggler was allowed to "steal some of her oxygen" from time to time he wouldn't be in a worse spot than was two years ago.

Otunga is absolutely shite and represents a lot wrong in terms of new talent that is given a chance. People have already covered why he's crap so I won't bother getting too much into that, but I will say that he's only got a decent spot on the roster because he's a decent looking guy with a good physique and has a famous(ish) missus. Saying that though, this time last year I fucking hated R-Truth and Mark Henry, but they've been two of my favourites in 2011 so 2012 could be the year of Otunga. Or maybe not.

• Paid Members

I like him, have done for a while. He always came across as quite natural during backstage segments, and was pretty likeable when he was placed in the "fuck up" role of the Nexus and seemed to be on the verge of getting kicked out towards the end of last year.

Actually, he looks the complete opposite of 'comfortable', or even 'enthusiastic'. Watching him and his mannerisms gives me a feeling of "I'm not sure I should be doing this", and nothing he does strikes me as being sure that it's going to work. He was never made to look particularly dominant or even hungry to get his heat back after he's beaten. His character has had too many knocks to make him look strong but not enough to really get mad and get in someone's face on TV. And now he's in a position where the other villains are in his complete care, but at least one would be in a much stronger position to break out and lead the pack. Unless, of course, they put Nash back in to be Otunga's fly-swatter.

• Paid Members

Despite the fact that he's obviously a pretty rubbish wrestler, I actually don't mind Otunga. I've said a few times before that he has potential to be a decent undercard heel. He's very much an unpolished turd at the moment, but the recent development of his lawyer character is a huge step in the right direction and I love the bow ties. Thank fuck they seem to have cut him free of McGillicutty at least.

• Paid Members

While I'm no fan of Otunga, he's seemed a million times more interesting the last couple of weeks without McGillicutty standing by his side. I'm not sure if that's because he's been given something to do, or if McGillicutty really is that much of a charisma vacuum.It's good that they're finally using his background to some benefit, though. Compared to most of his peers, he has a truly fascinating real backstory (Harvard law grad, former reality TV star, married to an Oscar winner, photographs with the President) that they really haven't exploited yet. It was used during NXT, understandably put on the back burner during Nexus, then totally lost following it, when he became a directionless half of a tag team that just didn't fit.

Archived