Charles Napier dead

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Hey, Steve Jobs will get more attention but my favourite character actor died today too.I loved this guy, he was great as the bad guy in Rambo 2, the Cowboy in Blues Brothers and he was awesome in the Russ Meyer movies. He usually played an arsehole cop, cowboy or army dude.Charles Napier12654-15590.gif12654.gif

Charles Napier -- the toothy thespian who played everything from the male lead in Russ Meyer

• Paid Members

Aaaw no. Napier's one of my favourite faces to pop up in films, and has an accent that just makes everything he says sound great. As daft a comedy as it is, I fully agree that his best part was Harry Sledge in Supervixens. "Now git yo' funky ass indoors".

• Paid Members

He was one of a generation of actors that you just don't get these days - he was almost never the lead star, and sometimes he would contribute nothing more than a cameo. But you were always pleased to see him pop up and if you look down his list of films you really are amazed by just how many good films (and TV series) he was in.He was excellent in the Russ Meyer films - probably too good an actor to be in them, actually, and I say that as someone who loves them. He is superb in Miami Blues especially, as well.

• Paid Members

Top notch! I never even knew the actor's name until now but he's been great in so many films..

Yep, he's one of those actors. I wish there more like him and JT Walsh, M Emmet Walsh and Michael Ironside around these days, especially as the latter two won't be around forever.

Top notch! I never even knew the actor's name until now but he's been great in so many films..

Yep, he's one of those actors. I wish there more like him and JT Walsh, M Emmet Walsh and Michael Ironside around these days, especially as the latter two won't be around forever.
We really should have that thread, but I still can't work out a name for it. Great Character Actors?

• Paid Members

We really should have that thread, but I still can't work out a name for it. Great Character Actors?
Something like that. I think calling it, like, a B or C list actor thread might be unkind because the Walshes and Napier could act most A listers under the table.

He's almost too famous though, isn't he? He's like a "special guest star" rather than just a regular actor. Plus he directs and all that as well.

• Paid Members

I'd say its more the level of people like Philip Baker Hall, Luiz Guzman and Clancy Brown. Bruce Dern had a good run in the 70s as a leading man then just settled into being the ever dependable co-star

Archived