Bert Jansch Dies

EdgarTheSlouch

Bert Jansch, one of the most influential British musicians of modern times, has died at the age of 67 after a long battle with lung cancer. He spent his last days in a Marie Curie Hospice in Hampstead, London. His complex, revolutionary and beautiful acoustic guitar-playing influenced countless musicians including Johnny Marr, who said: "He completely re-invented guitar playing and set a standard that is still unequalled today." Spokesman Mick Houghton said Jansch died early Wednesday morning after being in hospital for seven weeks. He was diagnosed with cancer more than two years ago. His final performance was at a reunion of Pentangle at London's Royal Festival Hall on 1st August, following solo performances earlier this year when he opened for Canadian singer Neil Young. Houghton said today: "I don't know anyone who had less of a sense of celebrity. He was always very self-effacing and critical adulation was completely irrelevant to him." Related ArticlesPentangle: A reverential reunion 11 Jul 2008 Bert Jansch performs 'Black Waterside' 05 Oct 2011 Born Herbert Jansch on 3 November 1943 in Glasgow - to a family originally from Hamburg - he is survived by his wife Loren. Jansch, a key figure in the folk revival in Britain in the 1960s and between 1967 and 1973, was part of acoustic group Pentangle. He received two Lifetime Achievement Awards at the BBC Folk Awards and in all he released 23 solo albums, the last of which, The Black Swan (2006), featured collaborations with Beth Orton and Devendra Banhart and contributions from his son Adam Jansch. Young, with whom Jansch toured last year, said: "As much of a great guitar player as Jimi [Hendrix] was, Bert Jansch is the same thing for acoustic guitar . . . and my favourite." Jansch once said that his debut album, called Bert Jansch, in 1965 was recorded on a reel-to-reel tape using "four borrowed guitars" because he didn't own his own guitar. Jimmy Page said: "At one point, I was absolutely obsessed with Bert Jansch. When I first heard that first LP of his in 1965, I couldn

Archived