wXw 16 Carat Gold 2012

lightningxlock

While 2-3 weeks ago I would have had LDRS as a lock for this event, the recent events at wXw 11th anniversary show (backstage) have left me doubting that they will be in the tournament. It looks like the start of a really interesting storyline that hopefully I'll be able to see advance in Jan.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd imagine Doug Williams is somewhat of a 'WOW' name to some, given his limited visibility outside of TNA but I get what you mean. I'd imagine we're well on the way for the ball to begin rolling and if im not mistaken, wXw only have 3 shows left now between now and 16 Carat so they're probably gonna' come thick and fast after xmas.

People have mentioned Eddie Edwards and Kevin Steen and I think they're good shouts. As we've said before there's bound to be some BJW involvement and likely some CZW involvement. Maybe NOAH, maybe Dragon Gate?

Who would you pick from said companies?

As selfish as this sounds, I know that in previous years the Japanese talent who have come over have only come to Europe exclusively for that weekend due to their promotions touring schedule, so they won't be in England the week before. So if a BJW guy like Sekimoto makes the annual trip again, I would be disappointed once more that he wasn't available to make a UK date like how the majority of Americans who come over come early to spend a week in Europe before 16 Carat.

But yeah if I had my way any of the names below would be just dandy. I'm putting down 4 names per company but I can only see 2 at a push coming over as has been the norm:

BJW - Sekimoto, Sasaki, Okabayashi & Ishikawa. Not a fan of the death match stuff and the Strong BJ guys are some quality wrestlers. The first three have been in previous 16 Carats and Ishikawa was in Europe in July this year, but I don't think anyone would grumble to see them again.

NOAH - Marufuji, Aoki, Sugiura & Taniguchi. The last three were over in May but haven't appeared in a 16 Carat yet. Marufuji hasn't been seen in Germany since 08 where he featured in that years 16 Carat and the NOAH Germany show.

Dragon Gate - Shingo, Tozawa, KAGETORA & Hulk. I can't see any DG guys next year seen as they didn't feature in this years tourny, nor did DG head to Germany this year. In previous years they'd only sent over one representative, even if Shingo did win the 09 tournament. I think it'd be more likely to have DG USA representatives.

PWG - Kevin Steen, Chuck Taylor & Willie Mack. I think Steen the most likely to join Generico.

ROH - Eddie Edwards, Michael Elgin, Roderick Strong & Davey Richards. I do hope Eddie comes back over seen as all three promotions booked him strongly the other month, seemingly with return visits in mind. I'd love for Davey to come over again, but with what happened last year and him saying that ROH and NJPW are his main two priorities right now along with him already being booked for a fortnight in England in August, I don't think he's likely. Feels like it's been a while since Strong was last in Europe, and Elgin is a guy who is going to break out.

DG USA/EVOLVE - Johnny Gargano, Ricochet, Sami Callihan & Bobby Fish. Callihan is this years winner, and really is getting a lot of attention and fan support in Europe. Gargano and Ricochet are both getting incredibly strong showings in DG USA with Gargano as Freedom Gate Champion, and Ricochet as one half of the United Gate Champions, and both would be making their European debuts to my knowledge. But with how big Ricochet is in Japan right now I don't see him having the time. Fish is a guy I'd love to see over again.

CZW - Adam Cole & AR Fox. Callihan I'd now group in as a DG usa wrestler, so that pretty much leaves these two.

Freelance - Low Ki. The biggest "WOW!" name I can think of right now seen as he's yet to return to England/wXw since leaving the WWE. I know they were looking at him last year but he was too expensive. I think adding Ki to the mix with any of the above talent and the wXw regulars and you'd have a strong line up.

I know looking at this list I haven't put forward that many names that would get a "WOW!" reaction like I stated with only Ki and perhaps Garano and Ricochet in the hype of making their Europea debuts, would really stand out at first glance. But to fill this tournament with absolutely bumper to bumper top line international names as has been the norm for previous years, and with how clearly defined the ROH/DG USA lines are getting, if wXw were to book an Eddie Edwards vs Johnny Gargano or Sugiura vs Callihan level match.... I don't think any fed outside of PWG would be able to do it along with wXw, and in some instances, PWG wouldn't be able to do it, especially with the NOAH guys.

Unless Ki has changed his attitude (and wage rates) I cant see him being in it. They approached him last year and he apparently wanted more than everyone in the tourney put together. Which is ridiculous.

Can see Sami being there again, with him being 'defending champion' and all. Willie Mack is a really good shout, I heard he went over really well when he was last there. Adam Cole and AR Fox would suit me down to the ground as far as CZW guys go.

As for BJW guys, I would love Shinobu to be one of them. Even tho hes a 'deathmatch guy', Takeda would be a good pick I think in the sense he works the strong BJ style but in deathmatches. Also you've got a whole slew of newish talent like Hashimoto, Tsukamoto, Ishikawa, Ohtani etc

Unless something changes between now and then, I cant see Walter being added as they said the champion cant compete in the tournament. Which is just as exciting as they may bring somebody special in to challenge him. wXw are known to bring in extra guys for non-tournament action. In the past few years you've had the likes of Sami Callihan, Jon Moxley, Tatsuhito Takaiwa, Cheech and Cloudy, Kyle O'Reilly and Daisuke Sekimoto compete outside of the tourny

Archived