Computer Stuff

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

Thought I'd start this for future use rather than just a thread to answer my query. Could be handy for PC/laptop-related issues, software/hardware questions, recommendations and the like.To start off, though, can anyone recommend a decent external hard drive? I'm after one with a 1 or 2 TB capacity but not too big in size as I'll be using it for storing work items on it so it'll need it to go in my work bag without it looking like my laptop has got a hard on.I've seen a few for around the

That's dirt cheap.. Does it have an external power supply though? Because the only ones I've seen that cheap do, and that sucks.

It does yes, but that doesn't bother me. I don't need to carry round with me, it just sits in the cupboard and doesn't move.
I have a 2tb external drive, and that has an AC input. But as above, it does not bother me, as it sits on top of my tower anyway. If ever I would need to physically travel with such a large file that a 2tb drive would be needed, the occassion would be so rare I could live with the one off travel also.

• Awards Moderator

Cheers for the input, gents. I've just ordered this 1TB Samsung portable HDD, which is USB-powered and quite compact so will be easy enough to carry in my work bag. It's had decent reviews and has some good security features, so seems like it's perfect for what I need. The price was around the

my acer laptop packed in recently when i was downloading a torrent of randy ortons dvd (which i wasnt even that bother about)i heared a crackling noise and now it comes up with a black screen that says operating system not found. did a bit of a look around and apparently the crackling sound means the hard drive is fucked. it insured and all that but i have tons of pics from trips over the years that i dont wanna lose and stupid me never backed them up. if i send it to insurance i think they will just bin it or wipe it but i dont think i have many other options.if anyone knows of any please replycheers

my acer laptop packed in recently when i was downloading a torrent of randy ortons dvd (which i wasnt even that bother about)i heared a crackling noise and now it comes up with a black screen that says operating system not found. did a bit of a look around and apparently the crackling sound means the hard drive is fucked. it insured and all that but i have tons of pics from trips over the years that i dont wanna lose and stupid me never backed them up. if i send it to insurance i think they will just bin it or wipe it but i dont think i have many other options.if anyone knows of any please replycheers

My missus laptop packed up recently. All i did to recover her data was remove the hard drive, connected it to my pc with a sata cable and just dragged and dropped her user data on to my pc. You just need to see what cable you need to connect and pick one up off ebay.

• Paid Members

My missus laptop packed up recently. All i did to recover her data was remove the hard drive, connected it to my pc with a sata cable and just dragged and dropped her user data on to my pc. You just need to see what cable you need to connect and pick one up off ebay.
Thats a case of the Hard Drive being fine and the laptop being fucked though. That happened to mine, just bought a case for it and turned the HD into an external with all my old stuff on it. IT in our building have a neat little trick for restoring broken hard drives, they whack the fuck out of them. Apparently dropping them from a small height or giving them a bang can help knock them back into place. Ive seen it work a couple of times. They just lie and say they did something technical when asked how they fixed it.

Thanks for the replys. that might be worth a try, I'm only guessing it's the hard drive cause I read one guy goin on about a crackling sound. I guess I need to remove it and see from there. Don't even know how to do that! I did also read giving them a whack can sort them out

Thanks for the replys. that might be worth a try, I'm only guessing it's the hard drive cause I read one guy goin on about a crackling sound. I guess I need to remove it and see from there. Don't even know how to do that! I did also read giving them a whack can sort them out

The hard drive sits just under one of the removeable panels on the rear. It will look something like this...IDELaptopHardDrive.gifYou should just be able to slide it out and remove any cables connected to it. Then it's a matter of finding the right cable to fit it to then connect to another PC/Laptop via USB. It should then appear as an additional drive like a memory stick would. As chokeout said, it would make a nice little external hard drive, or you can move everything on there onto your new device.

Archived