Smart Wrestling Fan - The Comedy Show

liamnardo

Hello there.

A year ago there was a topic on this forum about my show that I took up to Edinburgh - 'Confessions of a Smart Wrestling Fan'. Some of the feedback was negative but the majority, I think, was posiitve and I had a great time. The biggest thrill was when Edinburgh comedy award winner, and personal hero, Brendon Burns came to see the show - it turns out he's a massive fan of wrestling. He had a great time, chatted to me on several occassions afterwards (at one time I was standing talking to him next to Rhod Gilbert and Greg Davies and just feeling completely out of my depth) and he even gave me the following quote:

'Everything you want from a Fringe show. McGrath speaks passionately about a subject he both loves and is ashamed of at the same time. The hour flew by. I loved it!

This year I took a new show 'Lorcan McGrath is... Not in Love' which struggled to find as much of an audience compared to the last time. It seems a show about wrestling sells more than a show about love. I don't know if you consider that depressing or not I'll leave it to personal interpretation.

But I did a one night return of 'Smart Wrestling Fan' and, even though it'd only been performed one time between Edinburgh 2010 and 2011 it was easily my favourite ever gig and I don't think I'd be blowing my own trumpet to say that the large (for me) audience seemed to be having a whale of a time too.

So with that in mind I'm looking to take the show on the road wherever and whenever possible and my first port of call will be at the Manchester Comedy Festival. I'm on at the Apotheca on Thomas Street in the Northern Quarter - a fairly short journey from Piccadily station. It's on Tuesday 18th October at 8.15pm and tickets are only

I'll try and get to this, I wanted to see the show last year but couldn't get up to Edinburgh. Manchester's a lot closer to home. It better be all WWF though, I'll tolerate a bit of WCW or TNA but the less of the shite leisure centre wrestling companies the better.

Any plans to do anything in London?

Oh, and any advice about taking a show up to Edinburgh? I'm toying with the idea for next year.

I'd love to perform in London just don't know the first thing about where a good venue to book is and how to go about it. Will almost certainly do it and hopefully some time soon.

As for taking a show up to Edinburgh just go for it - it's an amazing experience, a brilliant festival and a beautiful city. If money's an issue then go for one of the Free Fringe shows. It'll be a nightmare to get people to go to your show and I'd recommend going with people for a first show if you can. Make sure your show is unique if you can. Like I said a show about wrestling stood out in the programme last year whereas a show about love really didn't - Richard Herring was essentially doing the same show and even if I was my own mom I'm not sure I'd choose me over him.

Hope to see you soon.

Oh, and any advice about taking a show up to Edinburgh? I'm toying with the idea for next year.

I'd love to perform in London just don't know the first thing about where a good venue to book is and how to go about it. Will almost certainly do it and hopefully some time soon.

As for taking a show up to Edinburgh just go for it - it's an amazing experience, a brilliant festival and a beautiful city. If money's an issue then go for one of the Free Fringe shows. It'll be a nightmare to get people to go to your show and I'd recommend going with people for a first show if you can. Make sure your show is unique if you can. Like I said a show about wrestling stood out in the programme last year whereas a show about love really didn't - Richard Herring was essentially doing the same show and even if I was my own mom I'm not sure I'd choose me over him.

Hope to see you soon.

London have loads of venues, and plenty smaller ones too, because I'm guessing you don't want to risk the expense on a pricey London gig. Surely you must know some other stand ups that could reccomend like a pub or hall that does comedy?

Hope to see you soon.

London have loads of venues, and plenty smaller ones too, because I'm guessing you don't want to risk the expense on a pricey London gig. Surely you must know some other stand ups that could reccomend like a pub or hall that does comedy?

I'm actually not "in" with the comedy community that much. I'm more of an improv performer and only went up to Edinburgh with a solo show because I wasn't able to get any of my mates to come with me. Don't let that put you off seeing the solo show - it is good if I do say so myself. I know it's not going to be hard at all to find a London venue and I will sort it out soon. I'm pretty sure I could do London ten times over - but like you say it's about not wanting to risk too much money and feeling like you're one in a crowd of a thousand. To paraphrase Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw - putting on a comedy show in London and hoping people will notice is akin to being stuck on a desert island and sending a 'save me' message in a bottle and throwing it into a sea made entirely of messages in bottles.

As to the person who wants my twitter feed it's @lorcanmcgrath.

Hope to see you soon.

I'm actually not "in" with the comedy community that much. I'm more of an improv performer and only went up to Edinburgh with a solo show because I wasn't able to get any of my mates to come with me. Don't let that put you off seeing the solo show - it is good if I do say so myself. I know it's not going to be hard at all to find a London venue and I will sort it out soon. I'm pretty sure I could do London ten times over - but like you say it's about not wanting to risk too much money and feeling like you're one in a crowd of a thousand. To paraphrase Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw - putting on a comedy show in London and hoping people will notice is akin to being stuck on a desert island and sending a 'save me' message in a bottle and throwing it into a sea made entirely of messages in bottles.

As to the person who wants my twitter feed it's @lorcanmcgrath.

I live in Cambridge and would be very confident that you could draw a decent crowd there buddy. If you needed any help let me know.

For the record, I saw the show in Edinburgh and thought it was pretty darned funny. The bit about the IC belt was brilliant. My girlfriend also enjoyed it, although that may in part have been because she suddenly realised that I wasn't a complete freak, or at least not the only complete freak. And that I'm not the only one doing the thing with the change in my pocket.

Just a heads up Lorcan... Ian Fox is trying to get hold of you and needs your phone number. Presume it's about this show. Message me your number and I'll pass it on or give Ian a shout if you've got his details.

Might also pop along tonight, workload allowing. Regardless have a great show tonight. Damn you for getting in ahead of me on this idea. ;)

Just thought I'd put this topic back to the top to see if there's anyone still interested in coming.

Hope to see some of you there!

I wish I was going, but the Mrs wasn't up for rearranging her schedule for a wrestling thing as I've already got her going to three consecutive nights of wrestling related stuff in a couple of weeks (Raw, Smackdown, Foley stand-up). Please do keep us posted on future shows, though, as I really want to get to one. Have a good 'un tonight!

Thanks to the people that came to the show. Low turnout unfortunately but I think we all had a bloody good time. Thanks for trying to give me the heads up Chris, I literally put the laptop down and headed for the coach right after my last post. Have I ever said before how much I love National Express? If I did then please go back in time and kick the crap out of me.

Low turnout means I have to find better ways to make it tour-worthy but I think I may have cracked the solution of spreading word-of-mouth. May be back on the forum before too long to explain what I mean but in the meantime thanks again for the kind words.

Archived