Starting a Wrestling Society

MindGrrind

Just started my first year of university and thought it might be an idea to start up a society for wrestling fans. Not sure if they'll be enough interest but thought it'd be worth a shot as i've seen a few guys sporting WWE merch.

Did anyone have anything like this at Uni or locally? Or anyone got any tips for activities?

So far I just thought we could either get together each week and watch perhaps Raw or just take requests and watch matches on the big screen.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

We had one out our Uni. I'm still really good mates with a couple of them. We used to watch the ppvs together and see shows etc. It's a cool way to meet fans and have a drink.

Closest thing we had was one year the local pub put pay per views on the big screen. Wrestlemania in a pub is something I wish happened more, I really do.

Depending on the uni, you might get a room after normal hours (like 6.00) with a projector, but there is usually some regualtions you have to do like a minimum of people and stuff like that. Best talk to someone about the best way to go about it, though it may help your case if you have a casual get together with some people who would join. That way you can show how many people would be willing to join and hopefully make a good case when you talk to whoever.

Sounds like social suicide.

Have to admit that was my first thought. You'd have to be either incredibly confident, or to already written off your entire potential social life to want to publicly announce your wrestling fandom in the first semester of uni.

Having said that, back in 1999/2000 when all students loved wrestling, this would have been fucking ace. I always wanted to be one of those yank fratboys having a 'JR is WAR' party.

Have to admit that was my first thought. You'd have to be either incredibly confident, or to already written off your entire potential social life to want to publicly announce your wrestling fandom in the first semester of uni.

Having said that, back in 1999/2000 when all students loved wrestling, this would have been fucking ace. I always wanted to be one of those yank fratboys having a 'JR is WAR' party.

Or that's just a massive cliche that's hardly ever the case.

Just started my first year of university and thought it might be an idea to start up a society for wrestling fans. Not sure if they'll be enough interest but thought it'd be worth a shot as i've seen a few guys sporting WWE merch.

Did anyone have anything like this at Uni or locally? Or anyone got any tips for activities?

So far I just thought we could either get together each week and watch perhaps Raw or just take requests and watch matches on the big screen.

Get a bf instead. And some cheap cider. Save wrestling for when your back at mam and dads at weekends .

• Paid Members

I know... what will the cool kids think? You'll never get to go to any keggers, and the sorority girls will stick their noses in their air and just keep on walking their pink-dyed Chihuahuas right past you. Unless... you found your own co-ed fraternity, Grappler Gooker Doink. You could be the campus rebels, living out on the outskirts of town in a ramshackle old house, filled with wrestling memorabilia. Mebbe you could get Jim Cornette, in drag, to be your house mother? Possibly you could prank the school, by digging up Pez Whatley's corpse for your parade float? Even though the townies AND the jocks will mock you, they will secretly be attracted, and when you save the school with your knowledge of Japanese wristclutch finishers, you'll be pronounced the coolest kids in cawledge! Just stay out of the way of crusty old Dean Douglas, and make sure to never spend the night in the spooky. haunted. tower. and you'll be fine.

Of course it's a cliche - but so many people at university are desperate to conform to some sort of cliche, especially in the first year.

I'm not saying it can't work. I'm not saying sound people don't like wrestling - clearly, plenty do. But in my experience, it's the sort of thing sound people gradually reveal about themselves, not walk up to a random girl on a stall at freshers' fair and hand over a fiver for subs. I don't want to sound like I'm shitting on the OP's idea, but I would urge caution - chances are the normal people who are wrestling fans are going to swerve this (at least for a while) while they're still fitting into their various cliques, and you might end up primarily with those awful wacky cunts who wear 'Don't Hassle the Hoff' t-shirts and rapey fat lads in ROH hoodies.

I've never found being open about liking wrestling a problem. If they mock it, I mock them as chances are they come up with shit reasons why it's fake like 'they use ketchup for blood' or 'the ring's like a bouncy castle'. Actually, the only problem is not wanting to show my girlfriend current WWE as I don't want her first impressions to be Michael Cole and Booker T bickering on commentary. I think I might start with Survivor Series as we're going to see WWE together so it'd be better that she knows what's going on. Still, doesn't stop me teaching her wristlocks and over-selling her offence.I agree with Magnum that there's a big chance of those types of fan coming in to your society though. I absolutely agree about kids conforming to cliches too. It does my head in! They're my age so it's not as if I can say that I was the same back then.

Go into your Students Union office and talk to the Social SecretaryShe'll have advice for how to start a groupmaybe put an ad in the uni newspaper, put posters up

Ooh, sexist.david_brent_sympathy.jpg
Let's stop degrading women! Let's have a laugh with them, not at them. Let's have a laugh at work with women at us.

• Paid Members

Just started my first year of university and thought it might be an idea to start up a society for wrestling fans. Not sure if they'll be enough interest but thought it'd be worth a shot as i've seen a few guys sporting WWE merch. Did anyone have anything like this at Uni or locally? Or anyone got any tips for activities?So far I just thought we could either get together each week and watch perhaps Raw or just take requests and watch matches on the big screen.

What Uni are you at ?

Archived